• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Train manager recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Fishplate

Hi all my first post here.
I have the 2nd assessment day and interview for great western tm coming up soon, any pointers or tips would be welcome I have read some but don't know how up to date the info would be.

Many thaanks
Try searching "GWR Train Manager Assessment" on Google; it should bring a thread up on this forum. Can't seem to post the address, the forum won't allow it.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Do GWR have crew bases in Wales? Swansea/Cardiff? If so, do TM jobs come up often?

Cardiff and Swansea, Cardiff is a pretty much a closed shop with Customer hosts being promoted more often than not.

Swansea occasionally comes up, but again it’s often Swansea based customer hosts who get the job .

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Cardiff has taken an external in recent times, but only one.

Swansea is the depot no one leaves and turnover is low. The last 'big' round of recruitment saw a handful of externals a few years ago, and it's been internal customer hosts and displaced Landore staff since

rob wright

Try searching "GWR Train Manager Assessment" on Google; it should bring a thread up on this forum. Can't seem to post the address, the forum won't allow it.
Many thanks I did find one which listed an itinerary, I was just seeing if any one had bang up to date info. trying to give myself the best possible chance

Mabs

I recently applied for the Train manager position based at Reading with GWR.

I recently passed online SJT and then I did the Numerical test which I think I got 100%. I found it so easy.

My question is why have they not done the telephone interview with me and invited me to the assesment centre ?

I was expecting the telephone interview, Will they just do a face to face interview instead if i pass the assessment centre?

tiptoptaff

Established Member

I recently passed online SJT and then I did the Numerical test which I think I got 100%. I found it so easy.

My question is why have they not done the telephone interview with me and invited me to the assesment centre ?

I was expecting the telephone interview, Will they just do a face to face interview instead if i pass the assessment centre?
They got rid of the telephone interview about a year ago

paulwestwood

Please be aware even if you pass the online SJT's, it will not always guarantee you a slot at the assessment centres as it's at this point they will then sort through the applications more thoroughly so it may not actually get passed the paper sift to go for assessment invite. It is known to pass stage one assessment but then not get invited to assessment 2. Sorry to say this but it does happen sometimes.

Mabs

Please be aware even if you pass the online SJT's, it will not always guarantee you a slot at the assessment centres as it's at this point they will then sort through the applications more thoroughly so it may not actually get passed the paper sift to go for assessment invite. It is known to pass stage one assessment but then not get invited to assessment 2. Sorry to say this but it does happen sometimes.

I have applied for SWR guard position and GWR Train manager position.

I have been invited to the Assesment stage 1 for both. SWR first week of September 2019 and GWR second week of September.

Does anyone know what the difference is between both the position?

Both of these companies are part of the First group so if I passed the scaat test for the first assesment, Could I call GWR and tell them I have already passed this test?

Stigy

Established Member
I have applied for SWR guard position and GWR Train manager position.

I have been invited to the Assesment stage 1 for both. SWR first week of September 2019 and GWR second week of September.

Does anyone know what the difference is between both the position?

Both of these companies are part of the First group so if I passed the scaat test for the first assesment, Could I call GWR and tell them I have already passed this test?
Depending on what type of Guard position you applied for (commercial guard or just guard) with SWR; Commercial Guards sell tickets in addition to other Guard duties, whereas normal Guards don’t. This is reflected in the salary (commercial guard is about £39k give or take, whereas Guard is about £32k give or take). You’ll also get 5% commission on ticket sales as a commercial Guard.

You should bear in mind that yes, you can transfer the assessment results so if you pass with SWR, you can use these results for GWR (it’s a national thing, nothing to do with them both being FirstGroup), but equally, if you fail, you’ll probably have to wait 6-months before resitting them, meaning you won’t be able to attend the GWR assessment centre.

Mabs

Depending on what type of Guard position you applied for (commercial guard or just guard) with SWR; Commercial Guards sell tickets in addition to other Guard duties, whereas normal Guards don’t. This is reflected in the salary (commercial guard is about £39k give or take, whereas Guard is about £32k give or take). You’ll also get 5% commission on ticket sales as a commercial Guard.

You should bear in mind that yes, you can transfer the assessment results so if you pass with SWR, you can use these results for GWR (it’s a national thing, nothing to do with them both being FirstGroup), but equally, if you fail, you’ll probably have to wait 6-months before resitting them, meaning you won’t be able to attend the GWR assessment centre.

I just called SWR now and they said if I fail the assessment with SWR then I can still go ahead with the assessment with GWR.

The 6 months rule only applies with the company I fail with so cannot apply again.

Also the ruling that I cannot apply with any company for 6 months is only for a trainee train driver position and does not apply to other positions such as a Guard or Train manager.

Tropicana

Hello.

I have an assesment next month with GWR for a train manager position.
I would like to know the net salary.

Thanks.

Last edited:

CharlesR

Hello.

I have an assesment next month with GWR for a train manager position.
I would like to know the net salary.

Thanks.

£38,580 as of the last pay deal. Overtime is often available (especially this time of year) and Sunday is pay and 1/4. Subject to change if harmonisation goes through which could put it 40k+

Tropicana

£38,580 as of the last pay deal. Overtime is often available (especially this time of year) and Sunday is pay and 1/4. Subject to change if harmonisation goes through which could put it 40k+

Thank you for your reply!
Does that mean the average salary is around 3200£/month after taxes?

paulwestwood

Thank you for your reply!
Does that mean the average salary is around 3200£/month after taxes?

You are paid every 4 weeks, so plan your monthly outgoings around this. Also Rest Day Work which also includes Sundays are based on Time and 1/4. Sundays are part of the link but are classed as overtime. Whilst training you will be on time sheets and this is based on a 35hour week with anything worked over 35hrs paid at time & 1/4. As also previously mentioned the working week is based on a 35 hour week which is averaged out throughout the year, so expect some weeks to be rostered for a lot more than 35hours. I hope this helps a bit.

rob wright

You are paid every 4 weeks, so plan your monthly outgoings around this. Also Rest Day Work which also includes Sundays are based on Time and 1/4. Sundays are part of the link but are classed as overtime. Whilst training you will be on time sheets and this is based on a 35hour week with anything worked over 35hrs paid at time & 1/4. As also previously mentioned the working week is based on a 35 hour week which is averaged out throughout the year, so expect some weeks to be rostered for a lot more than 35hours. I hope this helps a bit.
useful info thanks

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Cardiff and Swansea, Cardiff is a pretty much a closed shop with Customer hosts being promoted more often than not.

Swansea occasionally comes up, but again it’s often Swansea based customer hosts who get the job .
Out of interest does anyone know what Cardiff TMs sign traction/route wise?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Out of interest does anyone know what Cardiff TMs sign traction/route wise?

Cardiff to Swansea via Mainline & VoG
Cardiff to Reading via Bristol TM & Parkway
Bathampton Junction to Westbury, Newbury, Reading.
Newport to Swindon via Gloucester/Charfield/Stroud.

Cardiff addition to HST/800 also sign Class 150/158/165/165 units and have unit work.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Probably Swansea to Paddington possibly Bristol as well.

Cardiff to Swansea via Mainline & VoG
Cardiff to Reading via Bristol TM & Parkway
Bathampton Junction to Westbury, Newbury, Reading.
Newport to Swindon via Gloucester/Charfield/Stroud.

Cardiff addition to HST/800 also sign Class 150/158/165/165 units and have unit work.

Thank you kindly bairns

Railair4321

Hi all!

To anyone who has been through the recruitment process before, How long did it take for you to hear back about the Stage 2 Interview/Assessment, following the successful outcome of the stage 1 tests?

I was successful at stage 1 on 1st August, and got the result while I was still on the train home from the assessment! But I’ve heard absolutely nothing since! :(

Nicbetyy

Hi all!

To anyone who has been through the recruitment process before, How long did it take for you to hear back about the Stage 2 Interview/Assessment, following the successful outcome of the stage 1 tests?

I was successful at stage 1 on 1st August, and got the result while I was still on the train home from the assessment! But I’ve heard absolutely nothing since! :(

I went for stage 1 assessment 11 th August and had email from GWR 13th August . I had stage 2 last week . Awaiting result

Railair4321

I went for stage 1 assessment 11 th August and had email from GWR 13th August . I had stage 2 last week . Awaiting result

Oh Wow that was quick!

Maybe I should send them an email? Don’t really want to been seen as too pushy though.

Good luck with the result, fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.