• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Turbo cascade progress to Bristol region services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Only 5 and a half more months of substitute Turbos, then it's the 9 car TfL 345s with the super-hard seats, super-loud door alarms, lots and lots and lots and lots of standing space, full colour destination displays and absolutely nothing else.

That’s your opinion, I’ve travelled on them and they’re a massive step forward on what used to operate the services!

They have a good mix of longitude and bays of seats in much the same way as the A stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Non Multi

That’s your opinion, I’ve travelled on them and they’re a massive step forward on what used to operate the services!

They have a good mix of longitude and bays of seats in much the same way as the A stock.

My first journey was one of increasing discomfort, even on a short journey due to the rock hard seat bases. If only they were as comfortable as A-stock, or the Networkers (and 387s) they will be replacing out of Paddington. I could forgive the spartan interiors of the 345s, if it wasn't for the appallingly hard seats. You can assume I'm quite happy to wait another five and a half months for my next journey on them.

bastien

No it isn’t.

The off-peak 6 car Turbo that replaced 387s in May has been short-formed 3v6 exactly 4 times since the timetable change on 20th May; on the 32 weekdays it has been diagrammed a 6 car. On an equal number of occasions it’s been long formed with an 8 car 387.

4 days in 32 is not “very often”.
His wife might have caught all 4 of those 32 and none of the others. So 'no it isn't' is a tad strong.

SWT_USER

His wife might have caught all 4 of those 32 and none of the others. So 'no it isn't' is a tad strong.

The post also says it was short formed 4 times on the days it was diagrammed for a 6 car. Presumably it could have been diagrammed as a 2 car on some days and not count as a short form..

Beemax

Short formings do occur I’m sure for unavoidable reasons. The reason for my original posting was the alarming suggestion that 7 more 387s would be taken out of service and presumably be laid up at Reading depot in gleaming new Heathrow Express livery for the next few months, while passengers on the Didcot – Paddington stoppers have an increased probability of ending up on a 3-or-6 car turbo (Where are these going to come from if the 769s are nowhere near ready to replace them elsewhere?)

cactustwirly

Established Member

No they aren't would much rather a Turbo than a 345!

Aictos

Established Member
No they aren't would much rather a Turbo than a 345!

If you want cramped, no air con and certainly a out of date CIS installation then go ahead.

The fact remains that the 345s are 9 coaches long which means they can transport far more people with a interior layout more suited to the needs of the routes that they travel on.

I can’t see why you have a obsession with not improving rolling stock?

Aictos

Established Member
My first journey was one of increasing discomfort, even on a short journey due to the rock hard seat bases. If only they were as comfortable as A-stock, or the Networkers (and 387s) they will be replacing out of Paddington. I could forgive the spartan interiors of the 345s, if it wasn't for the appallingly hard seats. You can assume I'm quite happy to wait another five and a half months for my next journey on them.

Strange, I found them to be comfy for the journey I was making - rock hard seats they weren’t!

cactustwirly

Established Member
If you want cramped, no air con and certainly a out of date CIS installation then go ahead.

The fact remains that the 345s are 9 coaches long which means they can transport far more people with a interior layout more suited to the needs of the routes that they travel on.

I can’t see why you have a obsession with not improving rolling stock?

The Turbos have comfortable seats, and decent luggage space.
Class 345s have neither, they are a massive downgrade on the Turbos, especially if you're traveling between London and Maidenhead with luggage.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There’s a lot of words I’d use to describe Turbos, comfortable most certainly isn’t one of them.

Class 345s have neither, they are a massive downgrade on the Turbos, especially if you're traveling between London and Maidenhead with luggage.

Geoff DC

Surely if you want to work in Lundan Standing up Seats Are The Answer

A forward-thinking manufacturer has unveiled an updated prototype of its stand-up seat, the Skyrider 3.0.

The space-saving design has a reduced pitch, meaning passengers are in a more upright position, rather than sitting as normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aictos

Established Member
Given the choice of 6 car Turbos or 9 car EMUs, I rather pick the latter! Simply because it's more spacious and have more seats plus has working air con which on days that are hot are certainly needed!

I still believe them to be a upgrade simply because they can carry far more people then the Turbos ever could and surely that's important?

If you want short trains with overcrowding then go ahead but I think that's daft!

Parallel

Established Member
The 16:30 Cardiff - Portsmouth was cancelled between Cardiff and Bristol was cancelled due to a train fault (usually a Turbo), 150216 worked the service from Bristol to Portsmouth (3+2 seating) - was packed but better than cancelling throughout.

I find the standard seats in a Turbo very uncomfortable. They feel too thin, flat and don’t provide great support IMO. The first class and ex-first class seats are great, if you can get one! I find the Chapman seats in found in most of the Class 150s more comfortable than the standard Turbo ones.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Well yeah, but that’s like saying ‘oh I’ve caught chlamydia, but it’s better than the syphilis I did have’

They're very nice and refined trains, in some ways better than the 387s that replaced them, the Turbos have more comfortable seats, much better ride and build quality.

pompeyfan

Established Member
They're very nice and refined trains, in some ways better than the 387s that replaced them, the Turbos have more comfortable seats, much better ride and build quality.

I’m sorry but I can’t share your optimism over them as they’re a huge step down from what they replace.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I’m sorry but I can’t share your optimism over them as they’re a huge step down from what they replace.

They're a huge step up from the 150s, not so much the 158s.
If you ignore the 2+3 seats, they're very close to a 158 (it's the same engine)

On Moderation
They're a huge step up from the 150s, not so much the 158s.
If you ignore the 2+3 seats, they're very close to a 158 (it's the same engine)
GWR 158s and 165/166s have different engines to each other. It’s sets 158815-862 which are common to the 165s.

TJDevon

The August issue of Modern Railways has a section devoted to Great Western; well worth a read. I picked up on a couple of interesting comments. Relevant to this thread there is reference to ‘at the moment there still being a few residual Class 166 workings into Paddington, which will go as the changes to the fleet unfold’. Does anyone know how many Turbos might then be released to Bristol – and when?

cactustwirly

Established Member
The August issue of Modern Railways has a section devoted to Great Western; well worth a read. I picked up on a couple of interesting comments. Relevant to this thread there is reference to ‘at the moment there still being a few residual Class 166 workings into Paddington, which will go as the changes to the fleet unfold’. Does anyone know how many Turbos might then be released to Bristol – and when?

December, when Crossrail take over the Reading stoppers.
Not much, they're 2x 3 car 165s, which aren't used in the west.
But could probably release 2 X 2 car 165s?
The Thames valley still needs a few 2 cars for Marlow and Greenford.
The 3 cars are needed for the North Downs, Oxford/Banbury shuttles and Basingstoke, with the other 2 branches requiring 2 units as well

Parallel

Established Member
GWR must be having a shortage atm, severely overcrowded Pompey service at Southampton this evening peak formed of 2 car 165. Also, 16:40 Gloucester to Weymouth formed of 2 car 165 also. The 158 I was on had all its carriages but didn’t have working aircon in two of the carriages, and the WiFi also wasn’t working. Does heat affect the functionality of the WiFi?

VT 390

Established Member
GWR must be having a shortage atm, severely overcrowded Pompey service at Southampton this evening peak formed of 2 car 165. Also, 16:40 Gloucester to Weymouth formed of 2 car 165 also. The 158 I was on had all its carriages but didn’t have working aircon in two of the carriages, and the WiFi also wasn’t working. Does heat affect the functionality of the WiFi?
Was that the 16:23 from Portsmouth Harbour? If it was I was on that one to and I thought it was just me who could not connect to the WiFi or a problem with the WiFi on the 158's as my journey down to Southampton was on a Turbo and it worked fine.
I must say though I was against Turbos operating that route to start with having travelled on one today at least everyone got a seat on the Turbo with quite a few spare though these were mostly on the 3 side of the seating. I do think now that as long as they do not say on the route to long and they all operate in 5 coach formations they should be okay for a short term solution for increasing capacity on the route.

S-Bahn

Whilst I like the Turbo's performance and appreciate we now have some 5 car services between South Wales & Bristol, the seats are awful. The 158 seats are a lot more comfortable and have a headrest.

No further news on replacing them with 2+2 seating? Guess that's not happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.