• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Unpaid Fare Notice/Prosecution Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNSON9938

Hi,

Long story short, I was traveling on a Great Western Railway train into Paddington and I did not have a ticket as I rushed to get on the train. I explained my situation to the ticket inspector and he said this would normally be a penalty fare but this time he will issue me with an unpaid fare notice.

He proceeded to ask for my name and address which I provided in the form of a driving licence. I was given the notice but also a small card which had QR codes for the privacy policy and their revenue protection policy and he explained he has taken my details today so he also had to provide me with the card.

It was not until later I read the card in detail that on the other side of the card it said 'Reported for prosecution - what happens next' and a small passage regarding how the case wil be reviewed etc.

I have paid off the notice on the same day at the ticket office, however should I consider the matter resolved?

Did the ticket inspector genuinely give me the card just for the privacy policy as a standard procedure or is there a possibility that the prosecution department may still look into this further even though I have paid the notice?

Many thanks for any advice!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPI

Established Member
If you've paid the notice that's it, we have to give those cards out with an Unpaid Fare Notice (UFN) or Penalty Fare (PFN) as the notices dont currently contain a link to the privacy policy (which the receipt cards do), i generally draw a line through the "Reported for prosecution" part when issued with a UFN/PFN.

JOHNSON9938

If you've paid the notice that's it, we have to give those cards out with an Unpaid Fare Notice (UFN) or Penalty Fare (PFN) as the notices dont currently contain a link to the privacy policy (which the receipt cards do), i generally draw a line through the "Reported for prosecution" part when issued with a UFN/PFN.
Thank you! That puts my mind at ease, safe to say I'll rather wait for the next train and make sure I have a ticket from now on!

RPI

Established Member
Thank you! That puts my mind at ease, safe to say I'll rather wait for the next train and make sure I have a ticket from now on!
No worries at all, maybe consider using digital tickets on your mobile phone in future?

Status
Not open for further replies.