• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR West Fleet IEP Cascade Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardGWR

Established Member
It's noteworthy that on the Chiltern rebuilds with power doors, with far fewer draughts to contend with, those doors have been dispensed with altogether as presumably being not worth the hassle.
Thanks for the replies. That last one, quoted, presumably means that a/c will apply in the vestibules. 43096 seems to be possibly 'in the know'. If so, is a repair a very costly item or is there a prompt replacement an easy task?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprinter153

I did wonder whether GWR OB Staff are instructed to keep closing vestibule door windows and whether that would lead to a/c working.

GWR TMs are instructed to close the vestibule windows but for obvious droplight-related safety reasons as opposed to keeping the air-con working, which is a happy side effect.

coppercapped

Established Member
GWR TMs are instructed to close the vestibule windows but for obvious droplight-related safety reasons as opposed to keeping the air-con working, which is a happy side effect.

I have frequently seen dispatch staff at Reading station closing the droplights before departure.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
It's noteworthy that on the Chiltern rebuilds with power doors, with far fewer draughts to contend with, those doors have been dispensed with altogether as presumably being not worth the hassle.

They have them in an alternative position however, in the gangway as would be the case on a multiple unit.

(At the risk of going off-topic I've always thought these doors would make a significant impact on the noise complaints on sleeper stock)

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Back when we had piggies on the SWML it wasn't unusual to see them doors switch off in their open position

HowardGWR

Established Member
I have frequently seen dispatch staff at Reading station closing the droplights before departure.

What a pain, and for how many years (decades?)?. How long ago, technically, would have it been possible to have done what Chiltern did? In other words, how long has First been penny pinching? One could ask the same question about contained toilet waste disposal.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I think the problem with the power doors is that the cant deficiency rules were relaxed in the 80s without the power doors being re-designed to stay closed under the greater lateral acceleration. This appears to be so at least on the Midland, but may also be an issue on GW but perhaps less obvious as the route tends to be straighter.

coppercapped

Established Member
What a pain, and for how many years (decades?)?. How long ago, technically, would have it been possible to have done what Chiltern did? In other words, how long has First been penny pinching? One could ask the same question about contained toilet waste disposal.

One could argue that BR should have fitted the Mk3s with power doors when they were built back in the 1970s - the technology certainly existed, as it also did for the toilets.

For how long was BR penny pinching?

(The dispatch staff at Reading stand beside the doors anyway, all they have to do is stretch out an arm. In view of the numbers of people boarding the long distance trains here, many with luggage, the dispatch staff are likely to remain to help reduce dwell times even for future trains with power doors. For example the Class 180 trains - which have power doors - are also dispatched by staff on the platforms).

BestWestern

Established Member
This seems to be the best thread to post this, as it could be entitled 'IEP can't come soon enough', but also affects the resulting cascade, possibly.

We travelled on GWR Mark 3 stock yesterday (HST Bath to Didcot and return) and were disappointed that on both occasions, our initial choice of std class coach was very stuffy on a hot day. This was due to the fact that some of the sliding doors were kaput (thus permanently open) and of course, as pax always leave the vestibule exit door windows open (to reach the door handle), the a/c cannot function. It was of course also very noisy in those coaches.

We solved this by moving to a coach where the sliding doors were functioning and there, it was pleasantly cool and also quiet. Of course in winter, the reverse would be the case, freezing. I did wonder whether GWR OB Staff are instructed to keep closing vestibule door windows and whether that would lead to a/c working. In other words whether the vestibule is part of the a/c area, I would assume not from the above related experience.

I doubt that they are so instructed, as we didn't see any ticket check staff either on the way or the way back.

I do wonder, even at this late stage, whether the repainting of stock in 'GWR' green is wrongly prioritised over repairing sliding doors on this stock.

The vestibule doors are in fact likely to have been isolated because of the failed aircon. This, together with opening the droplights, provides some degree of airflow into the affected coach.

HowardGWR

Established Member
The vestibule doors are in fact likely to have been isolated because of the failed aircon. This, together with opening the droplights, provides some degree of airflow into the affected coach.
Interesting, if so. As I closed all the door droplights while on my way to a functioning coach, it would appear that I did the wrong thing! :oops:

Going back to what coppercapped wrote, indeed, where there are sufficient platform staff, I am sure they will do that, but at Didcot on Thursday morning, there was one person, who I think was the guard anyway and he had enough to do. I take the point about BR doing the penny-pinching. We must remember that Franchise bids actually seeking to improve quality of pax experience is an apparently new concept at the DfT.

One great thing about the Mk3s is the quality of ride. One would hope that as many as possible will be modified with automatic doors, decent toilets and kept in service somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.