• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR's recent declining performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Coming in 2019. It was meant to be 2018. But it’s late, like GWR’s services.

As for removing the message, they can’t be bothered apologising for the shambles. Which reminds me: anyone seen “Hapless Hopwood”, the missing in action MD?

Funny enough I saw him and another one of management at one of their stations last month. Despite a HST arriving on time and taking them to London faster, they waited for the delayed 5 car IET turning up just behind.

I've also heard that Hopwood has rather picked up a new trait for disappearing from view of staff faster than one of these IETs seem to be as of late.

Something not mentioned over the past week on here was that of the appalling service the West Country suffered over last weekend, with the as usual excuses trotted out by GWR. Which in my opinion makes the releasing of another 5 153s rather crazy, when your still banking on an already troubled fleet cascade based around the, ahem, troubled introduction of the IETs. Yes I'm well aware that other TOCs may well have already signed the lease of them but it leaves even less slack in an already tight GWR fleet. And does Northern require those extra 153s just yet with more 170s on the way from ScotRail?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Funny enough I saw him and another one of management at one of their stations last month. Despite a HST arriving on time and taking them to London faster, they waited for the delayed 5 car IET turning up just behind.

I've also heard that Hopwood has rather picked up a new trait for disappearing from view of staff faster than one of these IETs seem to be as of late.

Something not mentioned over the past week on here was that of the appalling service the West Country suffered over last weekend, with the as usual excuses trotted out by GWR. Which in my opinion makes the releasing of another 5 153s rather crazy, when your still banking on an already troubled fleet cascade based around the, ahem, troubled introduction of the IETs. Yes I'm well aware that other TOCs may well have already signed the lease of them but it leaves even less slack in an already tight GWR fleet. And does Northern require those extra 153s just yet with more 170s on the way from ScotRail?
Northern do need the stock - but probably not as much as EMT who really need their 4 units. They have been short-forming stuff for some time now as they have Class 156 and 158 C6/PRM programmes going on. They are pre-planned short-forms though: GWR (and others) please note.

GWR need to get a grip and start planning their fleet cascades properly and get modifications done on time. They can't keep holding on to stock that others need - their need is no greater and they're not a special case.

Parallel

Established Member
Train home today was over 25 mins late. Haven’t had an on time train home all week, with most 20+ minutes late. Not all GWR’s fault of course, but all part of the GWR commuting experience.

The train TO work has been more punctual this week, though both trains to/from work are regularly shortformed by at least 2 carriages.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K91436/2018/06/30/advanced

The 153s that are going imminently should be replaced by 165s

rwuk

I know the plural of anecdote isn't "data", but,.. I get an early train from Basingstoke to Waterloo and it does seem that the first train from Reading to Basingstoke is listed as delayed more often than not recently, based on hearing the auto-announcer whilst waiting for my train. For commuters using that route it must be intensely frustrating!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Much of the West fleet cascade plan has been seriously derailed by the need to hold Turbos back in the Thames Valley to cover Paddington-Oxford fasts which should have been mostly IET operated since January/February. In essence, the 3-car 166s have been cascaded but the 2-car 165s have not.

Combined with heavy delays by a sub-contractor in installing the Turbo local door controls so essential for most West routes, this is why GWR have got into a difficult position. Ultimately it all comes back to the lack of timely DOO agreement with the unions. (I have no view on anyone’s fault regarding this, either way.)

HowardGWR

Established Member
Much of the West fleet cascade plan has been seriously derailed by the need to hold Turbos back in the Thames Valley to cover Paddington-Oxford fasts which should have been mostly IET operated since January/February. In essence, the 3-car 166s have been cascaded but the 2-car 165s have not.

Combined with heavy delays by a sub-contractor in installing the Turbo local door controls so essential for most West routes, this is why GWR have got into a difficult position. Ultimately it all comes back to the lack of timely DOO agreement with the unions. (I have no view on anyone’s fault regarding this, either way.)
I was with you until the penultimate sentence. I don't get that. GWR is not in conflict over DOO (yet).
I thought it was the delayed electrification that caused the problem as you initially reminded us.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Delayed electrification has caused a lot of problems on GWR, but in terms of the Turbo cascade, the lack of any DOO agreement until recently, has seriously delayed LTV drivers being trained on IETs and has therefore helped wreck the cascade plan.

Edit - remember the lack of wires to Oxford does not limit IET deployment in any way, due to the bi-mode capability.

The overall massive overrun of engineering requirements (linked to the farcical GWEP implementation by Network Rail) has eaten up much of the spare capacity in the crew rosters. The overall condensing of the IET crew training into a shorter time period - made worse by 100+ day delivery delay - means training is done on rest days. This is where the continual traincrew shortages at weekends (and increasingly midweek) is coming from.

In terms of complexity of factors contributing to the overall mess, GWR is almost unprecedented. It is also exceptionally difficult to think about trying to begin explaining any of this to the travelling public who are being seriously and unacceptably inconvenienced.

coppercapped

Established Member
I was with you until the penultimate sentence. I don't get that. GWR is not in conflict over DOO (yet).
I thought it was the delayed electrification that caused the problem as you initially reminded us.
It's not that GWR is in conflict over DOO, but that if there were a DOO agreement in place then the trains would not need modification and therefore this delay in the cascade would not have occurred.

rwuk

I know the plural of anecdote isn't "data", but,.. I get an early train from Basingstoke to Waterloo and it does seem that the first train from Reading to Basingstoke is listed as delayed more often than not recently, based on hearing the auto-announcer whilst waiting for my train. For commuters using that route it must be intensely frustrating!

I've just stepped through realtimetrains data and:

29/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/29 Cancelled (Signal Failure)
28/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/28 Delayed (2 minutes)
27/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/27 Delayed (14 minutes)
26/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/26 Delayed (4 minutes)
25/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/25 Delayed (16 minutes)
21/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/21 Early (1 minute)
20/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/20 Delayed (3 minutes)
19/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/19 Delayed (18 minutes)
18/06 http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C42593/2018/06/18 Early (1 minute)

I don't know if there's complications here because the train for this comes from somewhere far away, but for the past 9 days the service on the first arrival into Basingstoke from Reading (05s9->0605) has been truly atrocious, averaging nearly 10 minutes late when not cancelled or (on 2 out of 9 instances) on time.

I'm sure that I don't remember this train being announced as delayed as much as this in the past..

Established Member
On the way:-

5Z53 SPM to Derby Etches Park 153318 153372 153382 153368 for EMT
5G17 SPM to Nevile Hill 153370 153377 for Northern
Thanks for the unit numbers. Lets hope they are out soon.

On Moderation
23 cancellations to date today due traincrew and unit shortage
Including 1003 Padd-Penzance. Great service to cancel on a Summer Saturday.

Any sign of an apology from “Hapless Hopwood” yet? No, thought not.....

cactustwirly

Established Member
Including 1003 Padd-Penzance. Great service to cancel on a Summer Saturday.

Any sign of an apology from “Hapless Hopwood” yet? No, thought not.....

Agreed, this is one the premier fast services, this is often rammed when it leaves Reading.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Usual Sunday chaos today on GWR according to Journeycheck

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Swindon

Due to a shortage of train crew between London Paddington and Swindon:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice
Owing to a shortage of train crew there will be reduction in the frequency of train services between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads / London Paddington and Bristol Parkway / London Paddington and Cheltenham Spa in both directions. This is likely to be the case for the remainder of the day.

Kindly note that at certain times this may result in successive train cancellations along the London Paddington - Reading - Didcot Parkway - Swindon corridor.

Intending customers are advised to use the 'JourneyCheck' section of the GWR website for the latest updates on cancelled, altered and reinstated train services during the day.

Andy1066

Great example of GWR performance issue even replacments for Electrification are terrible.
The release of turbos on line has also been catastrophic started with driver training issues, then issues with door operation system in place , also turbos ate not fit for short stopping services.
The one plus is that capacity has increased .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180701-111234.png
    Screenshot_20180701-111234.png
    186.6 KB · Views: 85

cactustwirly

Established Member
Great example of GWR performance issue even replacments for Electrification are terrible.
The release of turbos on line has also been catastrophic started with driver training issues, then issues with door operation system in place , also turbos ate not fit for short stopping services.

Why aren't they fit for short stopping services?
They are doing just that in Reading

father_jack

What have Pilning buses got to do with your point ?

Andy1066

This is the response from the rail company we have stations we have stations 2 mins apart at points and have slow line speeds .
They wanted to switch stock to do a faster run , instead of just shuttling same trains on the line all day .

I have not traveled around reading only iet/hst calling there so not sure how speeds or stops compare .
Would be interesting comparison though .

Used to run 150s on line on time most of the time , no delayed or cancelled most of the time due to congestion apparantly some how only caused by turbos.

I understand they could only close doors from driver cabs and takes time for guard to so full length of train , this haven't helped.

Cardiff123

Established Member
I'm travelling Cardiff - Paddintgton next Sunday. Travelling on an alternative day is not an option.

1) What are the chances of me actually getting a train there?
2) if I do get there, not being on a train that is absolutely rammed?
And 3) Being unforunate enough to find myself on a 5 car IET after a series of consecutive cancellations?

Meanwhile the media are solely focussed on the GTR and Northern Rail chaos and the chaos on GWR seems to be escaping from any scrutiny from our media.

JN114

Established Member
1) What are the chances of me actually getting a train there?

Reasonable.

2) if I do get there, not being on a train that is absolutely rammed?

Depends on how many cancellations there are; there won’t be a clearer indication of how bad it will be until late in the week.

And 3) Being unforunate enough to find myself on a 5 car IET after a series of consecutive cancellations?

Unlikely - there are fewer IET diagrams on a weekend; and the 9 cars can sub for 5s/10s on the North Cotswolds and Bristol’s respectively. I’d be surprised if there are any 5 vice 10s in play next weekend.

Generally the issues on Sundays tend to be afternoons into evenings; travel earlier on if you want to be safer. If it’s really bad ticket restrictions will be lifted.

I find it beyond belief that new Drivers contracts don’t include Sunday working. Then existing Drivers could either transfer onto the new contract or not, at least there would be progress towards rostered Sunday working. Why would you work on a Sunday if you didn’t have to, it’s an absolutely unbelievable way to run a business in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.