• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR's recent declining performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiff123

Established Member
I find it beyond belief that new Drivers contracts don’t include Sunday working. Then existing Drivers could either transfer onto the new contract or not, at least there would be progress towards rostered Sunday working. Why would you work on a Sunday if you didn’t have to, it’s an absolutely unbelievable way to run a business in this day and age.
I agree completely but good luck finding sympathy for that argument among drivers on these forums (or anywhere).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cb00

How on earth have GWR managed to have a shortage of crew today? There are no services running along the Cotswolds Line at all due to planned engineering works. That should have meant more drivers available for the rest of the network.

Imagine the chaos if the Cotswold line had a normal service scheduled today...

JN114

Established Member
There are no services running along the Cotswolds Line at all due to planned engineering works.

Apart from the Worcester/Malvern - Hanborough services. And the London - Oxford parts of N Cotswold services still running; which effectively means more crew required not less.

Andy1066

What have Pilning buses got to do with your point ?
Well service stopped electrification works, rightly so, fingers crossed for the better.
But train cancelled and they even cancelled the replacement bus !!!!
Now that's takes some doing

cb00

Apart from the Worcester/Malvern - Hanborough services. And the London - Oxford parts of N Cotswold services still running; which effectively means more crew required not less.
Apologies. I was due to travel but abandoned plans because journey check starte there was no service between Worcester and Paddington. Didn't realise there was a partial service running.

Parallel

Established Member
75 formation updates on the website today o_O - and none of these are trains on the St Ives or Looe Valley branches. My train to work advertised as 2 coaches vice 5 again, I guess I’ll be going to the station early today!

jamesst

I agree completely but good luck finding sympathy for that argument among drivers on these forums (or anywhere).

There's actually a fair few drivers (including me) and Aslef at the company I work at that want Sunday's as part of the working week. It's the company that don't...

lewesroad

75 formation updates on the website today o_O - and none of these are trains on the St Ives or Looe Valley branches. My train to work advertised as 2 coaches vice 5 again, I guess I’ll be going to the station early today!
Yes, it's utterly miserable travelling long distance with GWR at the moment.

jimm

Established Member
Apologies. I was due to travel but abandoned plans because journey check starte there was no service between Worcester and Paddington. Didn't realise there was a partial service running.

Journeycheck is an on-the-day state of service indicator, not a journey planner.

In addition to the shuttle trains to and from Hanborough on Sunday, there was an 18.16 through service from Hereford to Paddington, which was routed from Worcester via Stroud, and 18.22 and 20.22 departures from Paddington also ran, reaching Worcester via Stroud, as is typical when the route via Oxford is not available.

There will be a limited through service for Worcester/Hereford via Stroud for the next three weeks during the Oxford resginalling blockade, in addition to the handful of trains that normally run that way.

VP185

There's actually a fair few drivers (including me) and Aslef at the company I work at that want Sunday's as part of the working week. It's the company that don't...

Are you sure it’s not the other way round! Where I work, the company wants Sunday as part of the working week and ASLEF don’t. If Sunday’s become part of the working week ASLEF lose a little more bargaining power.

Parallel

Established Member
Green 158766 was on Portsmouth - Bristol Parkway services today. The following train on Portsmouth - Bristol P/way looked to be one of the green 150/0 twins.
It got even better! 158766 terminated at Bath due to a train fault on this evening peak (17.37 dep from Bath to Portsmouth) - Also operating solo, this part of the service should have 5 coaches. Lots of very angry commuters on the platform at Bath.

It was also operating solo on 06.00 Portsmouth - Bristol Parkway throughout, this morning. Should be 5 coaches Westbury - Bristol. Reported full and standing from Salisbury. Left people behind at Trowbridge onwards and missed out Freshford, Oldfield Park and Keynsham due to overcrowding.

How has the service deteriorated so much this month?

HowardGWR

Established Member
It got even better! 158766 terminated at Bath due to a train fault on this evening peak (17.37 dep from Bath to Portsmouth) - Also operating solo, this part of the service should have 5 coaches. Lots of very angry commuters on the platform at Bath.

It was also operating solo on 06.00 Portsmouth - Bristol Parkway throughout, this morning. Should be 5 coaches Westbury - Bristol. Reported full and standing from Salisbury. Left people behind at Trowbridge onwards and missed out Freshford, Oldfield Park and Keynsham due to overcrowding.

How has the service deteriorated so much this month?
I read your emails from behind the sofa! At least, I would if I were GWR management!
I've run this amazing program on your route in the up direction, and here is a link to the result for the last 4 weeks.
http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Search?Op=Srch&Fr=Westbury+(Wilts)+(WSB)&To=Bristol+Temple+Meads+(BRI)&TimTyp=A&TimDay=8a&Days=Wk&TimPer=4w&dtFr=05/06/2018&dtTo=03/07/2018&ShwTim=AvAr&MxArCl=5&ShwAdv=ShwAdv&TOC=All&ArrSta=5&SvcPcC=SvcPcC&MetAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2

It doesn't give the short-forming of course. A very worrying picture emerges, doesn't it? On the face of it, most not bad, but if pax are being left behind, thats a cancellation for them.

Parallel

Established Member
I read your emails from behind the sofa! At least, I would if I were GWR management!
I've run this amazing program on your route in the up direction, and here is a link to the result for the last 4 weeks.
http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Search?Op=Srch&Fr=Westbury+(Wilts)+(WSB)&To=Bristol+Temple+Meads+(BRI)&TimTyp=A&TimDay=8a&Days=Wk&TimPer=4w&dtFr=05/06/2018&dtTo=03/07/2018&ShwTim=AvAr&MxArCl=5&ShwAdv=ShwAdv&TOC=All&ArrSta=5&SvcPcC=SvcPcC&MetAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2

It doesn't give the short-forming of course. A very worrying picture emerges, doesn't it? On the face of it, most not bad, but if pax are being left behind, thats a cancellation for them.
Getting home is worse, and I think this says it all...
http://www.recenttraintimes.co.uk/H...tAvg=Mea&MetSpr=RT&MxScDu=&MxSvAg=10&MnScCt=2

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

I would bet the company would really want to too, but that the establishment cap set by the DfT is the real factor here.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Indeed, by the way I had no idea about this app until someone on another thread introduced me to it. What is really great is that your search criteria are repeated below the result, so that one can alter these in place, without going back a screen.

Noticeably, the better result on the down direction, although not brilliant, was achieved by SWR. That train commences its journey at Bristol, which is probably not a coincidence. Short forming (never applicable to the SWR class 159) may probably lead to late running, as people try to cram in. I do feel very sorry for all of you. One might hope GWR feel the same, but one sees little evidence of any apologies forthcoming. I think all season ticket holders along the Avon Valley should get a huge refund, not just the minimum delay repay stuff. I suspect what they would like better is a reliable service. I wonder how many jobs have been lost or put in jeopardy.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Several Padd- South Wales services are 5 car sets today on top of a reduced frequency and extended journey times/diversions due to the Severn Tunnel block. At least one of these services was reported as full and standing.

lewesroad

Several Padd- South Wales services are 5 car sets today on top of a reduced frequency and extended journey times/diversions due to the Severn Tunnel block. At least one of these services was reported as full and standing.

Why are GWR still so short of IETs? Is this still the blocked radiator issue?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why are GWR still so short of IETs? Is this still the blocked radiator issue?

Don't know - GWR does not have the "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" reason on Journeycheck against these short formed services.

JN114

Established Member
More units required for service than we actually have - 32 diagrams for passenger services; plus 2 or 3 sets on driver training; plus maintenance requirements. 800001-004 still not available for traffic AFAIK; so that’s already 32 units for 32 diagrams without other requirements on top.

And no; the HST cascade can’t be pushed back further, there are already 3 more HSTs in the GW fleet than there should be at this point; and by all accounts the DfT aren’t particularly happy with that....

On Moderation
Don't know - GWR does not have the "more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time" reason on Journeycheck against these short formed services.
On a lot of days they don’t bother putting HSS short forms on at all. Either they don’t get the data from Hitachi, or they don’t give a stuff about the punters, or both.

On a lot of days they don’t bother putting HSS short forms on at all. Either they don’t get the data from Hitachi, or they don’t give a stuff about the punters, or both.
Of course they know what’s shortformed from Hitachi, even if for some bizarre reason they weren’t, the visibility is there on Integrale.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
More short forms today including the infamous 19.15 Paddington - Swansea which often struggles even with a full set on a Friday night:

19:15 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:56

Facilities on the 19:15 London Paddington to Swansea due 22:56.
Will be formed of 5 coaches instead of 10.
Last Updated:06/07/2018 04:14

Cardiff123

Established Member
Of course a 5 car IET (which is really only 4.5 cars) only has 3.5 cars for standard class passengers.

Which of course is an enormous improvement over HSTs with 6 cars for standard passengers.

On Moderation
Of course they know what’s shortformed from Hitachi, even if for some bizarre reason they weren’t, the visibility is there on Integrale.
Ta. So they don’t give a stuff about the punters. I don’t think that would come as a surprise to anyone who uses Gone Woeful Railway.

coppercapped

Established Member
More units required for service than we actually have - 32 diagrams for passenger services; plus 2 or 3 sets on driver training; plus maintenance requirements. 800001-004 still not available for traffic AFAIK; so that’s already 32 units for 32 diagrams without other requirements on top.

And no; the HST cascade can’t be pushed back further, there are already 3 more HSTs in the GW fleet than there should be at this point; and by all accounts the DfT aren’t particularly happy with that....
If the last statement is true, then that is a bit rich. It was, after all, the DfT which took over the Intercity Express programme and is responsible for issuing the ensuing trains to GWR.
The amateurs in the DfT accepted the stories told by the snake oil salesmen as they had no experience to enable them to be critical. If the trains don't work as advertised then the buck stops with the DfT.

Today Hitachi have provided more trains than diagrams, on paper there is no need for short forms, in reality, logistics, timing and crew availability might mean they can’t all be utilised.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Today Hitachi have provided more trains than diagrams, on paper there is no need for short forms, in reality, logistics, timing and crew availability might mean they can’t all be utilised.

There are sets still being used for driver training, the programme having to have been accelerated

Status
Not open for further replies.