GWR's recent declining performance?

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by bb21, 12 Jun 2018.

1. 7ftBroad

7ftBroad Member

Is there a ruling about the size of the bird, to whom it's gets blamed too. Large birds ( known a few ) Network Rail and small birds to TOC, think I remember seeing it on tv doc.

2. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

There are implications for delay attribution, but can we discuss this in a separate thread please.

3. Fearless

Fearless Member

Today I'm travelling from Nailsea to Paddington and back. On the two occasions on which I've returned on an IET, it's been terminated at Bristol each time. The last time this happened, we had to exit a 10-car IET and pile into the 2-car 1827 ex Temple Meads to WSM - that was 'cosy'. Will today be third time lucky and I'll actually get to Nailsea? Watch this space...

4. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird Established Member

I travel by rail in the area a fair bit (mainly between Bath and Bristol, the Severn Beach line and through to Cardiff) and whilst you are right, it has been a lottery for a few years now, I do think it has got even worse in the last 10 months or so.

The introduction of the IET's (training staff on them, taking sets out of service for training leading to short formations and their reliability issues - not too major, but a fair few had to be taken our of service the other day!), the late delivery of the IET sets combined with the cascade of the HST's not being delayed (causing short formations and cancellations), the introduction of the Turbos to the West (whilst appreciated, has caused some issues with staff not knowing the trains thus causing delays), the whole mess around staff availability (caused by training on the "new" trains and by the Sunday working day issue, leading to yet more cancellations), issues around Temple Meads thanks to the resignalling earlier this year (which has reduced the speed limit through the station, causing delays and taking up recovery time where it exists in the timetable), the infamous "more trains than usual needing repairs" which has been a massive issue since roughly last Autumn (not being helped by trains that are either brand new, or new to an area, and some staff disappearing off to Hitachi or Crossrail), etc etc.

Sure it has always been pretty bad, but it does feel like it has got worse (and the reasons above are just part of the puzzle).

5. Fearless

Fearless Member

Today's travel (Nailsea-Paddington and back): pretty good timekeeping, but the HST was a car short so lots of reservations void, no air con, no electric to charge phone. Same set coming back! Left Padd full and standing right through the carriages as well as the vestibule. Held at Temple Meads for 15 minutes (not their fault, though - 'trespass incident'). And it all felt kinda normal, sad to say.

6. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

There appeared to be a HST set running around today which had a First/Kitchen coach instead of a standard class coach, so more first class than normal (had the regular coach L plus the composite coach K).

(15:00 Plymouth - Paddington)

7. ArchieWoodbine

ArchieWoodbine Member

Would that not be for the Pullman dining service?

8. JN114

JN114 Established Member

No Pullman crew diagrams on that service this week due to Newbury blockade