• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gwynedd council don't want Mt Snowdon to be called Snowdon anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Locals often do not bother using the full names, they are talk about Mach, Aber, Llan etc, simples.

An Umlaut is equal to adding an e after a the, so the Rheinmetropol is 'Koeln'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duncombec

That's an interesting one because the Spanish for coast doesn't get translated when we talk about the Costa Del Sol, Costa Rica or other places. However, like Köln, the French word for coast has the issue of accents.
Strictly speaking, diacritics (although everyone calls them accents, even linguists). In the modern world, there aren't many reasons for not knowing one of the at least four ways of entering such codes available on a modern computer - and my phone allows me to select them fairly easily too... easier than on a keyboard, in fact! In some languages the diacritic is just a pronunciation guide, whereas in others, it changes the meaning of the word completely (see below). I believe the former is the case with Welsh.

I'd suggest ERR WITH-VA

Err as in " to err is human", With as in "wither" , and Va as in "Van" or "Valerie". Emphasis on the middle syllable.

No significant regional variations in pronunciation.
Thanks - I'll take my ending and forget the bit I mangled at the start! (I cringed when the Radio 3 presenter this morning read an e-mail from someone in a place called "Clanethlee"...). I've never taken a Welsh placename at face value since my Welsh colleague took great umbrage at my falling into the trap of using "Betsy-Co-ed", instead of "Betus-e-coyd"...

Locals often do not bother using the full names, they are talk about Mach, Aber, Llan etc, simples.

An Umlaut is equal to adding an e after a the, so the Rheinmetropol is 'Koeln'.
True (Um = change, laut = vowel), but when I asked whether that was still acceptable spelling when learning German in the late 90s, the answer was "only if you're using an English keyboard typewriter". Does help with pronunciation though, especially if you're having Kaffee and Kuchen in the Küche in Köln...

krus_aragon

Established Member
Thanks - I'll take my ending and forget the bit I mangled at the start! (I cringed when the Radio 3 presenter this morning read an e-mail from someone in a place called "Clanethlee"...). I've never taken a Welsh placename at face value since my Welsh colleague took great umbrage at my falling into the trap of using "Betsy-Co-ed", instead of "Betus-e-coyd"...
You're most welcome.

A further handy hint: the letter 'y' can have one of two distinct sounds in Welsh - ee or uh - usually depending on whether it's in the final syllable (in a multi-syllable word). At the end of a word, it typically has the ee sound. Elsewhere, and in monosyllabic words like the definite article 'y' / 'yr' ("the"), it's usually uh. That's the same little word in Yr Wyddfa and Betws-y-Coed trying to catch you out there! ;)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
In the modern world, there aren't many reasons for not knowing one of the at least four ways of entering such codes available on a modern computer - and my phone allows me to select them fairly easily too... easier than on a keyboard, in fact!

Now I'm curious. My normal way of entering those characters is to copy and paste either the letter+accent combination or the complete word from a webpage or somewhere else that it's already in whatever document I'm working on. Is that one of the 4 ways you were thinking of? And what are the other 3 ways?

duncombec

Now I'm curious. My normal way of entering those characters is to copy and paste either the letter+accent combination or the complete word from a webpage or somewhere else that it's already in whatever document I'm working on. Is that one of the 4 ways you were thinking of? And what are the other 3 ways?
That wasn't one of them, but could well be!

- Insert symbol, then use the character map.
- Hold down ALT + three digit codes on the Num pad (this is the one I use most often)
- ditto but four digit codes (badly formatted site, but this gives both: https://www.alt-codes.net/)
- There are some complex methods involving things like holding down CTRL+apostrophe then pressing e gives you é - I don't know anyone who uses this format!

It depends on which language you are using as to how easy they are to handle and which option works best for you, but I have the three lower case German codes + eszett committed to memory now, and if I forget their upper-case equivalent, ALT+F3 (switch case) does the job just as well!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We do seem to be drifting slightly off topic here... :)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I do object strongly to it being called "Mount Snowdon"!

As a lover of relative solitude I am glad that 600 000 people a year go there, and not to the numerous other Moels, Pens, Carneddau, Creigiau etc

peters

On Moderation
As a lover of relative solitude I am glad that 600 000 people a year go there, and not to the numerous other Moels, Pens, Carneddau, Creigiau etc

I think a lot of people go there because it's the highest mountain in Wales and higher than the highest mountain in England, so if you've done the highest mountain in England then it's the next level. For some of the lower peaks in Wales it's easier to find an equivalent not in Wales. Also I'm sure you're aware that a number of hikers see it as a challenge to do the highest peak in England, Wales and Scotland even trying to do all 3 within 24 hours in some cases.

Saying that highest doesn't always mean most challenging to climb and having so many people all heading for the same Welsh mountain isn't necessarily good for the environment, so perhaps the Welsh government should consider whether they need to promote other mountains as alternatives to Snowdon.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
It is very good for everywhere else I think. But I imagine one is not quite alone on the Glyderau in summer either.

The three peaks challenge in 24 hours is madness and should be banned, a mad mainly driving fast trip sometimes even done to raise funds for a good cause! Perhaps creative border controls could be introduced to keep competitors from getting into England.

peters

On Moderation
The three peaks challenge in 24 hours is madness and should be banned

There's no way of banning people from attempting all three within a fixed time frame even if politicians could discourage it. Of course if people are caught driving at 80mph on the A55 then the police can take action.

Perhaps creative border controls could be introduced to keep competitors from getting into England.

How could those living in North Wales and working in England and vice versa not be affected by that?

ABB125

Established Member
There's no way of banning people from attempting all three within a fixed time frame even if politicians could discourage it. Of course if people are caught driving at 80mph on the A55 then the police can take action.
According to Google Maps, it takes just over 9 hours to drive from Snowdon to Ben Nevis vis Scafell Pike. Over that distance it should be possible to knock at least half an hour off the time (ie: driving at GPS 70mph, rather than indicated 70, and it's likely that a good proportion of the distance will be at night with hardly any other traffic about, so no congestion etc). So theoretically driving at 80mph isn't required.

(With apologies for continuing the tangential discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.