• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ha! Tin of paint banned from bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pensioner was thrown off a bus - for carrying a tin of paint.

Brian Heale, 73, was told the cream emulsion broke new health and safety rules on the No9 bus in Cardiff.

Brain was left stranded because he was not able to carry the tin home. He took shelter in a cafe where the owner gave him a lift.

According to The Sun Brian said: "I thought he was joking. But he parked the bus and called head office.

"Then he told me carrying the paint was against new health and safety regulations. It's crazy."

Under the new rules paint is classed as a "hazardous article" and can only be carried on buses if it is in a bag.

A spokesman for Cardiff Bus said: "We apologise to Mr Heale for the obvious inconvenience caused. Safety of passengers is our No1 priority which is why the company takes regulations very seriously."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Can't blame the bus company, it's the culture where everyone needs to constantly cover their arses for fear of getting sued thats at fault. Of cource though it's newspapers like the Sun with their sensationalist reporting when an accident happens that shoulder a lot of the blame for making socirty so risk averse that something like a tin of paint is considered dangerous.

Angus

Getting rid of the HSE would be a help - all these H&S rules are unnecessary and cause far more trouble than they're worth.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've seen late teens (something like that age at least) on the 38 off Hereford to Ross with a huge tin of white paint on the top deck of 18200 before. Not something that most people would expect to be a problem, unless it spilt all over the place, then it is a hazard to health (confined area, fumes, all that).

Are we going to have airport-style posters warning bus and train passengers that they can't take this, that and the other with them?

Gareth Hale

WSXFan said:
Are we going to have airport-style posters warning bus and train passengers that they can't take this, that and the other with them?

Better to be safe than sorry is my opinion. (by now, you can see I can't type very well because im very tired. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So you mean we should not only expect these posters but checks of luggage at stations too? Works for airports but impossible to put into practise with rail and bus.

Tins of paint are hardly something to be worried about!

Gareth Hale

WSXFan said:
So you mean we should not only expect these posters but checks of luggage at stations too? Works for airports but impossible to put into practise with rail and bus.

Tins of paint are hardly something to be worried about!
That is very true though. I would'nt worry about a tin of paint.

Angus

Gareth Hale said:
Better to be safe than sorry is my opinion. (by now, you can see I can't type very well because im very tired. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:)

True, but that is no justification for pointless measures that provide negligible (or no) safety benefits and are a hasslesome waste of time and money. At this rate, the rest of society is in danger of ending up with a situation like that in aviation, where so-called "security" measures have got completely out of hand.

gingerheid

Established Member
Never mind harmless tins of paint.

I'll tell you what the dangerous thing in a bus is - the engine. It's that that gives the bus the potential to kill.

Please sign up to my compaign to have them removed.

Gareth Hale

gingerheid said:

I'll tell you what the dangerous thing in a bus is - the engine. It's that that gives the bus the potential to kill.

Please sign up to my compaign to have them removed.

And how are you supposed to drive a bus without an engine :rolleyes::rolleyes: Actually, im confused.

Sprog

Established Member
Gareth Hale said:
And how are you supposed to drive a bus without an engine :rolleyes::rolleyes: Actually, im confused.

Tounge in Cheek is the key word here, PACER NED......... ;) :roll:

Dennis

Established Member
I've been on a bus without an engine - ones with fuel cells (and other electric buses) have motors not engines.

gingerheid said:

Please sign up to my campaign to have them removed.

I sir, will sign! Furthermore I shall write to my MP immediately. I simply must complain about any form of propultion on or in a bus, and especially internal combustion engines!

However before we do have an out-right ban I would like to propose a cruise in buses we got from the scrapyard and promptly crash them in to the HSE office.

Mushroom

This happened again yesterday on my bus home from school. 3 young ladies with pushchairs attempted to board a bus with a green tin of paint. The driver refused to let them board with the paint. He informed them that it needs to be in a plastic bag to go on a bus. One of them put it in a bag but the driver still refused to allow them to board as he had already seen the paint. The ensuing argument was brilliant.
As we pulled out of the bus station the driver then radioed the next driver telling thim that the ladies were there witha tin of paint and in a bad mood and not to let them board.
Did they ever get home?

beermaddavep

Any bus drivers on here that can explain these daft rules further? After all there are far more dangerous items in the average bag of shopping-caustic oven cleaners, oxidising bleaches, compressed butane gas in aerosols to name just a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.