• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hackney Downs to Enfield Town/Cheshunt closures for infrastructure work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domk

Hi all

For the next few weekends including this one this section of line is closed for engineering works. Does anyone know what they are doing during these closures.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domk

I note that some work has been done to the buffer area on platform 2 at Enfield Town with some new ballast and similar. This looks like it was recent as The track on P2 has had evidence of train running in the last couple of days

Class 170101

Established Member
I note that some work has been done to the buffer area on platform 2 at Enfield Town with some new ballast and similar. This looks like it was recent as The track on P2 has had evidence of train running in the last couple of days
Is that not making good the crash damage that would have been left from the Class 710 crash earlier this year / late last year?

450.emu

I saw some engineers looking at the Catenery at Seven Sisters this morning, not sure if they are going to replace it as it's the original 1960's knitting that is still in place? Everything from Bethnal Green to Enfield Town has the original wiring, stanchions etc. The local roads were going to be closed and buses diverted (I thought it was road resurfacing at first) but nothing happened in the end. If these works are going on for several weekends, it might be something like this.

Edit: NR press release here
Work begins on Saturday 11 June and at weekends throughout June and July. The work includes:

• Renewal of a crossing unit and a turnout unit at Seven Sisters, these are pieces of track that allow trains to move from one line to another
  • Structure repairs to Seven Sisters Road (A503) will also be carried out during the closure.
Work also continues on the Gospel Oak to Barking line throughout June and July . This work includes:

• Renewal of wheel timbers that help keep the track in place
  • Works to Upper Holloway footbridge

Last edited by a moderator:

Kite159

Veteran Member
I was surprised that London Overground hadn't inserted the calls at Cambridge Heath/London Fields onto the Chingford services to give those stations a service when the line towards Seven Sisters was closed. Would have reduced the need for replacement buses from Hackney [assuming they were running].

Replacement overhead wiring does make a bit of sense if the original wires is coming to the end of its design life, after-all Network Rail did do a rolling system of replacing the overheads on the mainline out of Liverpool Street & to Southend.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was surprised that London Overground hadn't inserted the calls at Cambridge Heath/London Fields onto the Chingford services to give those stations a service when the line towards Seven Sisters was closed. Would have reduced the need for replacement buses from Hackney [assuming they were running].
Does the track layout make that possible?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yes, in that Chingford trains can cross north of Hackney Downs Station but no, in that the stop markers are on the slow lines north of Bethnal Green, so the relevant platforms are shut.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Yep, I've seen it happen a couple times before. There is a connection between the "slow lines" towards Clapton at the northern end of Hackney Downs (https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/ls_2), just means the Chingford trains get retimed to take into account the extra stops

Although looking at the Open Train Times Map, those stations are under T103 which explains the lack of service (as the lines are closed)

Class 170101

Established Member

Replacement overhead wiring does make a bit of sense if the original wires is coming to the end of its design life, after-all Network Rail did do a rolling system of replacing the overheads on the mainline out of Liverpool Street & to Southend.
The Block is actually Bethnal Green North Jn to Cheshunt / Enfield Town hence Cambridge Heath and London Fields are closed and trains via the Fast Lines only. Also a separate Liverpool Street 1 - 4 to Bethnal Green West Jn Block

Domk

Today at Enfield Town platform 2 is back! Platform 2 and 3 with new buffer stops. Platform 1 still has the old wooden style but has had new ballast so these buffers may get renewed soon

450.emu

I wonder if it's to do with line speeds, as there's lower chance of stuff coming down at lower speeds, although the line is just as heavily used Some trains run via the Seven Sisters line to Edmonton Green then on to other destinations - (I've caught a train from Liverpool Street to King's Lynn via Seven Sisters many years ago). The newer Furrer+Frey (?sp.) kit finishes just after the Bethnal Green curve and the original 60's stuff continues on from Cambridge Heath (though for some reason, White Hart Lane has new OHLE just the length of the station) Newer 80's stuff is from Clapton Tunnel up the WAML through Tottenham Hale to Cheshunt, and it's a mix of old and new kit from there to Cambridge, despite high line speeds of 90 to 100 :s

Magdalia

Established Member
I wonder if it's to do with line speeds, as there's lower chance of stuff coming down at lower speeds, although the line is just as heavily used Some trains run via the Seven Sisters line to Edmonton Green then on to other destinations - (I've caught a train from Liverpool Street to King's Lynn via Seven Sisters many years ago). The newer Furrer+Frey (?sp.) kit finishes just after the Bethnal Green curve and the original 60's stuff continues on from Cambridge Heath (though for some reason, White Hart Lane has new OHLE just the length of the station) Newer 80's stuff is from Clapton Tunnel up the WAML through Tottenham Hale to Cheshunt, and it's a mix of old and new kit from there to Cambridge, despite high line speeds of 90 to 100 :s
The Southbury loop is frequently used as an engineering work diversion, and peak time Hertford East trains go that way. It is mostly 50mph Hackney Downs-Bury Street Jn and 60 mph from there to Cheshunt, unless there's been significant change in recent years. Although it is only half a mile further than the Lea Valley route it takes about 10 minutes longer.

There's no 100mph track on the Liverpool Street-Cambridge line, and only a few bits of 90mph, mainly north of Audley End.

North of Bishops Stortford was electrified in the 1980s so there's no legacy 1960s OHL there.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Yep, I've seen it happen a couple times before. There is a connection between the "slow lines" towards Clapton at the northern end of Hackney Downs (https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/ls_2), just means the Chingford trains get retimed to take into account the extra stops

Although looking at the Open Train Times Map, those stations are under T103 which explains the lack of service (as the lines are closed)
It's relatively common for weekday off peak trains to Cambridge/Stansted/Hertford to be diverted along the slow lines for a few hours. I've done it numerous times in recent months.

Snow1964

Established Member
The ages of the existing electrification are even more complicated than already listed.

The existing electrification to Enfield was done in 1959-60. At the time various yards and the Palace Gates branch was still open which can still be seen in some of the wide gantries.
The line from Clapton via Tottenham Hale was added in 1969 (at 25Kv, with voltage changeover on the Clapton curve) but electric trains only ran as far as Bishops Stortford for many years. The extensions to Stansted airport, Cambridge and Kings Lynn are late 1980s.

Some alterations were done south of Hackney Downs in mid 1980s (when voltage was changed and Graham Road spur added), I think there had been a double crossover to fast lines here too, there was one at Liverpool Street end of Bethnal Green too which went when the ladders were installed on Bethnal Green bank about 1990. Alterations included some new structures (which were slightly lighter colour) but much of the original lattice gantries were reused.

As the lines were originally at 6.25kv the insulators etc were all changed or modified 1981-83 prior to the 25kv conversion. I suspect very little is exactly as installed 62-63 years ago

Last edited:

450.emu

The Southbury loop is frequently used as an engineering work diversion, and peak time Hertford East trains go that way. It is mostly 50mph Hackney Downs-Bury Street Jn and 60 mph from there to Cheshunt, unless there's been significant change in recent years. Although it is only half a mile further than the Lea Valley route it takes about 10 minutes longer.

There's no 100mph track on the Liverpool Street-Cambridge line, and only a few bits of 90mph, mainly north of Audley End.

North of Bishops Stortford was electrified in the 1980s so there's no legacy 1960s OHL there.
Thanks for letting me know... I never knew the top speed of the West Anglia line was 90... though with the hot weather, I'm sure the older knitting can start to sag... though I guess it's held up for years. The engineers at Seven Sisters could have been checking contact wire or registration arms or something else as part of maintenance. It's a few weekends they will be closing the line, some say it is to lengthen platforms to accommodate longer trains...

Overground were planning to add some sort of new facade to the front of Bruce Grove Station, but perhaps the money is finished...

I think White Hart Lane was smartened up for Spurs and that's definitely more modern OHLE (just length of platforms) in amongst the 1959 stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.