Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

Discussion in 'Photography Advice & Discussion' started by Snapper, 1 Apr 2008.

1. Charlie2555

Charlie2555 Member

Yeah, quite a few times (I take it you mean the memory card?)

2. electra27000

electra27000 Member

Shame. Had you not used it, you might've been able to recover the deleted file. A deleted file on a card isn't actually deleted, only the path to it removed, until the space it occupies on the card has been overwritten by another file.

3. Charlie2555

Charlie2555 Member

It was a pretty boring picture though and I delete all but the best after my trips anyway

4. alexdodds

alexdodds Member

Sounds like Scotrail has one of the most fierce CCTV systems in the country. One of my friends drs37078 got a telling off from the CCTV operator over the PA at Hillington East around 11:30 pm last nite after filming a 380 to Glasgow. He couldn't use the help point to get permission because it was switched off and the ticket office was shut.

5. bAzTNM

bAzTNM Member

I believe I had this one time at Bellgrove Station in Glasgow. I was the only one there and they said something about having a direct video feed to the BTP headquarters. Rather scary sounding.

Do they have somebody monitoring every CCTV? Cheers

6. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

More people just trying to show off their power. If there was no way to get permission and it's not illegal to film trains going by (as long as you're in a public area, not trespassing etc) then I can't see why someone decides to try and embarrass you over a PA system.

I guess that doing so also means everyone around you is supposed to look at you, making you look stupid, and also get to believe that it is wrong to take photos or film.

7. 43167

43167 Established Member

I once had the CCTV operator shouting at me at Fort William in the tourist season.

8. Temple Meads

Temple Meads Established Member

Finally had some hassle on Friday night (with 2 other photographers), was photting some units while waiting for a Class 66 to come through, and we were told (in a very short tone) that photography wasn't allowed, my mate asked whether we could ask the DSM, the answer to that was "he'll say no too".

We did find out in the end that the main reason was a lack of staff meaning they couldn't keep an eye on us at all times, I just wish he could've said that to start with, rather than taking the "short and rude" sort of approach.

The station was Exeter St Davids.

9. 221129

221129 Established Member

To be fair to him he still had other things to do and by the looks of it didn't have time to go into detail. And with the way the other person had behaved it was probably LESS confrontational than getting into an argument. If You feel that strongly PM(or Facebook) me and I'll have a chat with him next time I see him.

10. 43167

43167 Established Member

I saw an minor issue on Friday at York while the Scarborough Flyer was pausing before returning to Crewe. Member of EC platform shouting at a group of photters, however she was in the right this time as the group were down the ramp and she had asked them about 4 times to come back up and they all ignored her each time.

11. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I'll probably get my head bitten off for this, but it's my opinion that people who go beyond the limits of the public areas of the station and then ignore staff telling them to move back should be removed from the premises. I don't like enthusiasts who think that rules don't apply to them - and I saw quite a few whilst travelling along the S&C yesterday waiting for the various charters to come along. No doubt the poor East Coast staff member was branded a 'jobsworth' by those she told to come back to a safe position on the platform... :roll:

12. Nym

Nym Established Member

No, you won't...

I don't think that's wrong at all, Enthusiasts should stay within the passenger areas because those who do stray give a bad rep to those who do stay where they're supposed to, do sign in and out, and do follow the guidelines, and also go beyond this by removing drivers from any shots taken that are to be sold or published.

13. 90019

90019 Established Member

You won't, because it's true.
    People like that should be removed from the premises, as they're the ones that ruin it for everybody else.

14. scotsman

scotsman Established Member

They should go. End of. I don't care what they call her, she was right and they were wrong. The rest is meaningless drivel.

15. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Don't quite understand the last part of your comment - what is meaningless drivel? If you misread my comment, I wasn't supporting the enthusiasts but advocating their removal from the station. I feel sorry for the staff who have to deal with it!

I'm glad people on here share the same viewpoint, not really sure why I thought people wouldn't.

16. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I also agree - if people are out of bounds like that... they're out, full stop.

17. LE Greys

LE Greys Established Member

I agree with you on that. It also causes problems for those who obey the rules and find thier shots being obstructed. They are faced with a choice, break the rules or put up with obstructed photographs. Still, Railway Magazine gave out a free DVD about Flying Scotsman recently, and you should have seen the people there standing all over active running lines back in the '60s. I'm astonished this was ever allowed.

18. Temple Meads

Part of the problem however, is when the decision is made to stop a charter/special movement right at the "stop" point, it's pretty obvious that photters are going to want to get a proper front view of the train, and it's more than likely that some of the aforementioned photters will stray past the stop board.

19. The North Briton

The North Briton Member

If they need to get a 'proper view of the front of the train' they should position themselves on the opposite platform and get there before the train arrives!

20. Nym

Nym Established Member

And then you have something like this happen?

[youtube]kBBK2hjcPuA[/youtube]

Warning of strong language...

21. Oswyntail

Oswyntail Established Member

Yup! (Pleased to see they apparently saw the funny side). No different from any other unexpected interference - thunderstorm, dragon swooping down and carrying train away...

22. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Yes once at Woking, I was at the London end of platform 3 when a staff member went into full "I know the rules" mode, I let him say his bit about needeing written permission etc, when I stated "you are talking a load of bollaches" he got security to throw me off the station.
    I chatted merrily with the security about the staff member being a bit of a div and they agreed with me, I then stood outside (still with security) and rung the my Operations Managere to inform them I would not be into work and they needed to get somebody else to do my duty. One of the security chaps asked who I had rung, I told him and he asked if I had argued and threatened the staff member (which I had not except for the afore mentioned name calling) and he let me back on the station.
    That staff member lost his job shortly after that, shame!
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Why?
    We drivers are in a position where we are likely to get our ugly mugs in the picture of the train, I just accept it and get on with it, if your lens cracks when it sees me it isnt my fault! ;)

23. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

That may be why you're photoshopped out - the picture would never sell otherwise! :lol:

24. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

Oh you bitch! :lol:

25. 12CSVT

12CSVT Established Member

At least they'd have got a nice phot of the 67 on the back

26. Temple Meads

Although not strictly photography related, myself and two other enthusiasts had an incident last night at Eggesford station, although the Tarka Line is closed for trains due to engineering works there are some track machines and Class 66's parked on the line, and one of these 66's is at Eggesford station, and naturally we wanted to have a look and get a picture.

There were some workmen sitting in a van outside the station, but we didn't give them a second look, so we went on to the station, and then one of the workman strode on to the platform and told us that "the station is closed and you are allowed, get off the station guys, there's no trains" in a none too polite way, we argued that there were no signs and that the station was open, and he skulked away as we showed no signs of budging.

I got a quick picture and then left the station with no further trouble.

I'm not really sure that I was in the right, but his manner and the fact the station was open meant there was no way I wasn't getting a shot.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2012
  27. Trainfan344

Trainfan344 Established Member

And they got a nice video of a Triple 159 at speed.

28. NightStar

NightStar Member

GidDay, I was wondering if anyone remembers the incident involving the spotter who almost backed on to the conductor rails a few years ago while photo shooting a steam special? Is Southern Region considered a problem for this reason with rail charters and steam trips? I would certainly think there is a good bit of concern with the third rails and spotters?

Robert

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  29. BlythPower

BlythPower Member

No - there's a problem with third rails and photters! <(

30. Harbon 1

Harbon 1 Member

I've been down Burton station whilst there was engineering works with a 66 and autoballasters in the platform, and had a nice chat with ethe supervisor for an hour. Although the next weekend, I wasn't allowed down... But that might have been because of the work actually happening on the tracks in the platform