• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

Established Member
I was at a certain station the other week when a person cameup to me.I was in the cab of a train.He said someone was taking pictures of the railway and I thought so what.I thought he was a bit of a nutter and he showed me his warrant card or his oyster card I wasn't sure which and then told me to inform my guard.At the time I didn't think my guard would come in use so I didn't bother but he seemed worried and said "in case we start rolling around".Questioned the guy and was taking notes of afore mentioned person who had cause offence.Also said "With all thats going on in the world today".I have reason to believe he was a genuine police officer.When I left he was taking a statement from the bloke who I took it to being foreign.Dunno if it would have made any different if he had been English.

Also at the start of the conversation between the police officer and me he said that the person didn't look like a train spotter.

At the end I asked if everything was ok then I buggered off.

Dont know if this is anything to do with other peoples problem on here but they may have just upped security slightly.

Oh Bugger, If they have upped it I'll have to get permission of SWT to veg on The Kingston Loop, Staines, Mainline and various there my fav spots:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xc170

Some bad luck there guys i have only ever had one real issue and that was at Manchester Picc when i was photoing a ATW 158 and the driver told me i was not ment to be doing it, i walk off waited until his train had left and carried on. other than that my only other problem has been at Nottingham when i was asked to move to another part of the station. at new street i too have never been given a second glance

FusionRail

Ive had a few -

Lewisham - BTP stopped me and said that its illegal to take pictures, so left to go to Stratford (see below), via the DLR. The BTP person followed me to the station at a distance, and then on the radio of the DLR guard, i heard a description of someone wearing the same clothes on the train, and low and behold as soon as i walked onto Stratford...
Stratford Station, Stopped and searched under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act, for taking a picture of an EMU (got in the Railway Magazine for that :razz:)

Paddington Station - Woman staff said she was uncomfortable with someone taking pictures, so after 15 minutes of patient listening to her I said "don't look then if it makes you feel uncomfortable" and she said "are you being cheeky" so I said "look woman just get on with your job instead of harrasing me" and she just said "well go to customer information (or something) and ask the man in there" so i did, he then said that it would be fine to take pictures, but go and see the station office, and the manager said you cant take pictures anywhere even if you have a valid ticket (to get through the platform ticket barriers), and thats theres a possibility i could on platform one with supervision. So i just left and went to kings X with no problems at all.

Wolverhampton - Chucked off the station about 5 years back for taking a video of whatever it was that came through at the time (apparently my video camera was using flash...)

Another forgotten London Station - Black woman says you can get sent to prison for taking videos of 'her' trains, and so promptly walked round with her hand in front of my lens.

Statford LUL station - Nice employee explains the rules, (wasnt breaking any - just having a chat) and she was very nice.

David

Established Member
Paddington Station - Woman staff said she was uncomfortable with someone taking pictures, so after 15 minutes of patient listening to her I said "don't look then if it makes you feel uncomfortable" and she said "are you being cheeky" so I said "look woman just get on with your job instead of harrasing me" and she just said "well go to customer information (or something) and ask the man in there" so i did, he then said that it would be fine to take pictures, but go and see the station office, and the manager said you cant take pictures anywhere even if you have a valid ticket (to get through the platform ticket barriers), and thats theres a possibility i could on platform one with supervision. So i just left and went to kings X with no problems at all.

The exact opposite from my experience at Paddington ....

While waiting for a friend to arrive, I noted the platform number the train was due to arrive on. I asked the person manning the gate if I could go down the platform to wait for them and take a few pictures. He said no problem, just let me know when your done.

Snapper

Established Member
I just got off the train at Southall today and there was a fast approaching FGW HST so I started to film it, suddenly I saw this person coming towards me, waving. He then said taking photographs at this station is not allowed due to it being a Category B station (terrorist alert) I said I had nevr heard of this before. He said go and ask at information they will tell you. I said well I have travelled along way, he said try further up the line. I went to Maidenhead and had no problems there.
On the way I rang the deputy editor of The Railway magazine, he had been on the phone to FGW and they couldnt understand what had happened! they had never heard of such a thing! I am firing an email off to FGW.
just thought I would let you know.

Martyn

I'm sorry, but when did this happen?

Can I point out that when this thread was started I specifically asked people to give important information (date, time, company staff member was employed by etc) - without which it's impossible to verify things. And on occasion we're getting the same story told more than once....

FusionRail

The exact opposite from my experience at Paddington ....

While waiting for a friend to arrive, I noted the platform number the train was due to arrive on. I asked the person manning the gate if I could go down the platform to wait for them and take a few pictures. He said no problem, just let me know when your done.

I suppose it depends on the staff you talk to

kestrel

I'm sorry, but when did this happen?

Can I point out that when this thread was started I specifically asked people to give important information (date, time, company staff member was employed by etc) - without which it's impossible to verify things. And on occasion we're getting the same story told more than once....

There is a new security chap based at Southall now to try and keep the scrotes in check (eastern european's taking a short cut across the tracks etc), i 'll have a chat with him next time i'm in, he's pretty ok prob just been misinformed8)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You should probobly edit that bit :mad:

Why?? its not a racist comment its the same as myself being quoted as a white male, all this PC bxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!<(<(<(

class 313

Established Member
Well i know its not rascist but is there any nead to state her skin colour? and please do not turn this in to an arguement.

But there's nothing wrong with saying what he said. He didn't know her name what do you want him to do? Describe her down to the last fine detail?

RJ

Established Member
Why is it necessary to describe the problem staff at a personal level at all? This isn't a police investigation or a witch hunt.

xc170

But there's nothing wrong with saying what he said. He didn't know her name what do you want him to do? Describe her down to the last fine detail?

I know there is nothing wrong with what he said but was there any nead for him to write it for the other incidents he did not write

Paddington Station - White Woman staff said

Now please could we get back on topic.

RJ

Established Member
Its clear that problems at stations is a nationwide thing and mass briefing/training or whatever for all station staff is probably the best way to go about sorting this out.

So class 313, why do you feel it's necessary to name individuals or give extrinsic details on here, such as skin colour?

class 313

Established Member
Its clear that problems at stations is a nationwide thing and mass briefing/training or whatever for all station staff is probably the best way to go about sorting this out.

So class 313, why do you feel it's necessary to name individuals or give extrinsic details on here, such as skin colour?

I take it that question also goes out to Kestrel and Darandio?

At the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with it.

Beaker

Established Member
So if you say ''him with the glasses'' is that discriminating anybody with glasses. It would be racist if he said it was a bad characteristic.

class 313

Established Member
I didn't ask for a "What about him" response.

Answer the question?

It's hardly fair for you just to pick up on what I said when several other have said it.

But its just a way describe someone, its not at all racist. I'm you have said for example "oh that brown haired lad" or "that ginger over there".

:roll:

RJ

Established Member
I haven't mentioned anything about discrimination.

I simply asked why you feel its necessary to try and identify individual staff, when all that was required (and the criteria were listed in the first post) was the details of the incident and who the problem staff worked for. As I've said, we're not trying to start a witch hunt here.

class 313 said:
It's hardly fair for you just to pick up on what I said when several other have said it.

Who else mentioned naming staff or trying to identify them as individuals?

class 313

Established Member
I haven't mentioned anything about discrimination.

I simply asked why you feel its necessary to try and identify individual staff, when all that was required (and the criteria were listed in the first post) was the details of the incident and who the problem staff worked for. As I've said, we're not trying to start a witch hunt here.

Then why is it bothering you so much? I think you just need to move on from this thread.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Back on the topic of problems photographing, ta

martyn29

Does anyone here know of any staff that work at Birmingham New Street (XC) as my friend just got told he wasnt allowed to film his HST off. and it wasnt put very nicely either.

Established Member
Does anyone here know of any staff that work at Birmingham New Street (XC) as my friend just got told he wasnt allowed to film his HST off. and it wasnt put very nicely either.

Yes I know of a woman (NR), I was filming the new VT LHCS depart BHM and a I walked back up to go home I heard "Did you just film that train" I said yes and she said I needed permission, ang on a min!
All Britain's Train Operating Companies and Network Rail welcome rail enthusiasts to their stations
It was one video as well and no where does it state you MUST have a pass

At major stations please inform the Duty Station Manager of your presence
fair point but what if you arrive by train as I did what do you do then, Dolphin call?

she also just assumed I had no pass dispite the fact I was on the platform

I think the staff should be more concerned with the VEG using flash photography (I was once arriving by HST and saw this happen)

Taking photographs on stations is permitted providing it is for personal use. For any commercial photography, prior permission must be sought from the appropriate train operator or, from Network Rail at their 17 major stations

This is the only place it asks for "Permission", I used it for personal use only.

When I last had 90029 She told me to stop filming when I was on it :lol:

I often film XC HST`s and ive never had any trouble, maybe your mate was past the "Do not pass this point" sign as that and the "HST stop" are close and sometimes you cant get a shot unless you pass the invisible line (note ive not passed the point)

Last edited:

Established Member
Can you post or let me have a description of the female at New St who made those comments. I had a meeting this afternoon with a Manager , Mr Rushton, and the company line is that this never happened. With so little to go on, I had to let it drop.
The official line is you may be watched to see that you are 'photographing for the right reason' , but they do not stop you just for having a camera.
Post me the details and I'll take it much further for you..

Incedentally Bye law no 3 -No Smoking- doesn't seem to be enforced on plafforms 6/7 either - but a camera is still a red rag to staff..

Image10.jpg

Is that aimed at me or the guy that posted before me? if it was me then Ive got a bit of vid from when I left BHM I can put up on youtube for you, been meaning to do it anyways

(also 1,000th post woohoo :lol:)

Yes I know of a woman (NR), I was filming the new VT LHCS depart BHM and a I walked back up to go home I heard "Did you just film that train" I said yes and she said I needed permission, ang on a min! It was one video as well and no where does it state you MUST have a pass

fair point but what if you arrive by train as I did what do you do then, Dolphin call?

she also just assumed I had no pass dispite the fact I was on the platform

I think the staff should be more concerned with the VEG using flash photography (I was once arriving by HST and saw this happen)

This is the only place it asks for "Permission", I used it for personal use only.

When I last had 90029 She told me to stop filming when I was on it :lol:

I often film XC HST`s and ive never had any trouble, maybe your mate was past the "Do not pass this point" sign as that and the "HST stop" are close and sometimes you cant get a shot unless you pass the invisible line (note ive not passed the point)

Yeah, I've had problems with a woman at new street, told to stop filming etc. Yet when there's a railtour there then it's absolutely fine....? Weird..... :|

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You have a PM.