Had problems taking pictures of the railways?

Discussion in 'Photography Advice & Discussion' started by Snapper, 1 Apr 2008.

1. LE Greys

LE Greys Established Member

Indeed, which is why it is a much more valid comparison with a railway station.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Quite right.

Does anyone know who actually owns the roads in this country? It might turn out that they are the sovereign's private property, yet there is no disputing that they are a public place.

2. Ferret

Ferret Established Member

In among all the rights and wrongs of all this, I do have to question what Metro's problem is. Would they stop 3 girls on a night out from taking pics on their iPhones?

3. alexdodds

alexdodds Member

Exactly. They say its something to do with privacy but they have got that wrong because in public theres no right to privacy with cctv all around us and if your taking a picture you can just shout MOVE to everyone. and then theres that health and safety red tape rubbish.

The platforms may be short in length but if they changed the rules to something like on the tube at least letting people take pics and videos if there passing through a station without a tripod and flash they we can all be happy.

Policies like this go into the minds of staff and some of them then become hell bent on giving a photographer a right good clip round the ear

Last edited: 10 Mar 2012
  4. electra27000

electra27000 Member

I'd have thought the answer to the issue of whether you can take images on Nexus (Metro) stations is to simply choose places where you can take images of their trains from public land...

5. the sniper

the sniper Established Member

The conversation should have ended here. The Metro have allowed him to video, but he screwed up and now he's banned again. Your friend is probably the kind of person who causes the problems for all the photographers out there who do nothing wrong... Some of his videos don't help his cause.

Personally I don't see why the Metro are so bothered about photography on their property in general, but I don't think your mate has done himself any favours and he doesn't seem to be entirely blameless for the treatment he receives.

That's too logical. ;)

6. bAzTNM

bAzTNM Member

Had my first problem filming on the railways today.

I was on the Pollokshaws East to Glasgow Central service today (the one that goes right round the stations). Train had hit Cathcart and I got the camera out to take a video of the scenery going by. Big ticket inspector comes by, tells me to get the "camera down. Recording isn't permitted". I say "Nae Bother". Don't want any probs.

He then stands in the doorway typing into his mobile phone and staring at me. I think he even took a sly picture of me too. I'm going to email Scotrail about that and where that picture is headed. Train hits Central, I try to get out and the guy puts his arm across the door - "I have to get somebody", but he didn't reckon on the crowd behind me who were wanting off, so he put his hand down and I walked very fast out the station.

I was filming at the time, but I only managed to get the first milliseconds of the conversation, so if you really need to hear the mumbling, I will put it up.

7. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

So he took a photo of you? I wonder what he was planning to do with that? I'd have posed and made a funny face!

If he suspected you were a terrorist (surely about the only reason to want you to stop filming) then he obviously failed miserably at apprehending you and passing you onto the authorities - so it seems like he's just a total prat.

8. LE Greys

There's a chance someone who goes that far can be sued for false arrest.

9. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

Where was the arrest?

10. LE Greys

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. Firstly, I am not a lawyer, so I don't know how accurate this is. If someone is arrested, or at least stopped, then the person doing so might find themselves in very hot water because it might turn out to be false arrest/imprisonment. I don't really want to encourage the "see you in court" culture, but it's a possibility.

11. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

Neither am I :)

False imprisonment and those types of things look like a very sticky area of law, so I imagine it's very particular and I doubt that this would be considered it. Could be wrong of course.

12. bAzTNM

bAzTNM Member

He certainly wasn't going to let me through, and I'd like to know who he would be sending for too.

13. electra27000

electra27000 Member

Nobody, in all probability - he was just throwing his weight around...

14. onein37

onein37 Member

If its of any help to anyone,i never had any problems photing at Reading,Didcot,Oxford or Banbury stations on Monday.

15. NY Yankee

NY Yankee Member

The same thing happens in the United States. Even in the NYC Subway, where photography is legal, photographers are often harassed.

16. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

Slightly not to do with railways but this just so it isnt just the railway enthusiast who suffer abuse etc when out photographing:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/D...enthusiast-s/story-16010669-detail/story.html

Hopefully First Cymru will speak to this driver. Stagecoach have already taken action with their drivers and posted notices in all depots warning drivers not to abuse bus photographers and I have to say I have never necountered any problems when photographing buses in the valleys.

17. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

The comments on the story are also interesting. It shows how ignorant many people are about photography and privacy laws - so many commenters go on about needing people's permission to take their picture, even in a public place. It's no wonder a minority of staff on the railway think photography is 'illegal' as many members of the public apparently think similar things.

18. causton

causton Established Member

I went out just now to take some photos of some buses and a driver covered her face with her hand - the thing is, due to the conditions the windscreens were so reflective I can't make out many of the other driver's faces so all I can see inside the bus is her hand! Better than shouting abuse at me but still...

19. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

I think more people believe it's illegal to take a photograph of someone else without permission than know or accept it's perfectly legal - right up to even taking photographs into private property FROM public property (if you want privacy, grow a large hedge or close the blinds).

If a photo you take includes a child in it, I'd expect almost all parents will be quick to conclude that it's illegal and the photographer should be immediately placed on the sex offenders register. Or, failing that, you can possibly expect to be assaulted as the parent takes the law into his/her own hands and demands you hand over the film/delete the file. This has happened to photo journalists who have taken photos at events with loads of people, then had one take exception to having their kid in it.

The ignorance is widespread, but it's hardly surprising that so many people get hassle for taking photos. I've had plenty of PCSOs think it's illegal and I've also had hassle from police officers.

When it comes to the police, I am a little more confused as I'm never sure if they actually knew the law or not. I've had bother (even threatened with arrest once - although obviously not actioned) and then shown my press card. Suddenly they've backed off, which suggests they were fully aware of the law and were playing on MY ignorance to exert their power. That's even more worrying than them simply not knowing as they're clearly bullies who should possibly not be allowed any authority at all!

The best for me was a Uno bus driver that had been abusing an Arriva bus (the bus itself, not the driver - by kicking it), prompting me to grab a photo - which she saw me take. She then swore at me while getting back on the bus and danced around giving me the finger while pulling away (no hands on the wheel) and the icing on the cake was her calling me a pervert for taking her photo. Sadly, the photo I took of her at the wheel was too blurred to be of any use, so with hindsight I should have switched to video recording as this would have been an awesome YouTube hit!

I think she was having her 'Falling Down' moment. I've not seen her on any buses since that incident so I think it's quite likely more than one person reported her - and if the bus had working CCTV, her actions might well have been caught on film too. :)

Last edited: 8 May 2012
  20. anthony263

anthony263 Established Member

She would have found herself being hauled into the managers office if she was with stagecoach as they seem to have warned all their staff.

I have visited some bus depot and generally the staff are always welcoming although they do ask that you were a high vis and dont act stupid.

Personally I actively avoid taking any photos where there are kids about as I know a few others photographers do as well.