• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Had to buy a new ticket because of booked train being late....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolf

Need a bit of advice as to whether there is any possibility of me getting some sort of refund in this situation that occured yesterday.

I was booked on the 1120 Cross Country service from Stoke-on-Trent to Piccadilly (due at 59) and then the 1220 TransPennine to Sheffield

I arrived at Stoke to see that the 1120 was not expected until 1150 - I realised that it would've meant missing the connection in Manchester, however there was a VT service at 25 past. After asking at the ticket office, I was advised the cheapest thing would be to get a VT only single to Piccadilly and get the 1125 (As altering the advanced booking incurs a £10 fee).

Got on the 25 past and made it to Piccadilly with 15 minutes to spare before my connection.

Now, my question: Am I entitled to any sort of a refund (from Cross Country) of the initial fare I paid for the XC service and/or the extra ticket I had to purchase in order to make my connection?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Advance fares can be changed as you say for a £10 fee but unfortunately are not refundable.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
In short, no, as you chose to buy another ticket.

A refund would be available if you'd have waited for the XC service and caught the next available TPE from Piccadilly. As it is, you arrived at your destination on time and they won't pay out :(

thewolf

In short, no, as you chose to buy another ticket.

A refund would be available if you'd have waited for the XC service and caught the next available TPE from Piccadilly. As it is, you arrived at your destination on time and they won't pay out :(

I thought that might end up being the case :roll:

I didn't fancy the idea of messing around at Piccadilly or ending up an hour late in Sheffield though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Need a bit of advice as to whether there is any possibility of me getting some sort of refund in this situation that occured yesterday.
As it was yesterday there are not many people here who will have access to the actual train times data in TRUST. If you can post on the day next time, we'd be more able to help.
I was booked on the 1120 Cross Country service from Stoke-on-Trent to Piccadilly (due at 59) and then the 1220 TransPennine to Sheffield
On what ticket(s)?
(Type, origin, destination etc)
I arrived at Stoke to see that the 1120 was not expected until 1150 - I realised that it would've meant missing the connection in Manchester, however there was a VT service at 25 past. After asking at the ticket office, I was advised the cheapest thing would be to get a VT only single to Piccadilly and get the 1125 (As altering the advanced booking incurs a £10 fee).
Hmm, I'm not sure that's a long enough delay to allow you to get an earlier train. I'd expect ticket office staff to disallow it, but I'd just ask the guard on board. It would be the same price on board anyway. Many guards would be understanding.
Got on the 25 past and made it to Piccadilly with 15 minutes to spare before my connection.

Now, my question: Am I entitled to any sort of a refund (from Cross Country) of the initial fare I paid for the XC service and/or the extra ticket I had to purchase in order to make my connection?
As it happened yesterday I have no idea what time it arrived into Manchester Piccadilly so I do not know. As there are too many variables. I will only add that I am surprised you went into Piccadilly as it would be normal to change at Stockport, but as there is no way to look up what actually happened yesterday I cannot advise. Also I do not have a clue what tickets you had; perhaps you were only valid on Northern who do not go via Stockport. I don't know. Sorry.

thewolf

As it was yesterday there are not many people here who will have access to the actual train times data in TRUST. If you can post on the day next time, we'd be more able to help.

On what ticket(s)?
(Type, origin, destination etc)

I had a XC advance for the 1120 Stoke - Piccadilly and another advance booking for the 1220 TPE service from Piccadilly to Sheffield.

Normally, I'd just get a VT only day return (as it works out the same price), but (somewhat ironically) went for the XC because it gave me an extra 10 minutes or so to change at Piccadilly :|

Hmm, I'm not sure that's a long enough delay to allow you to get an earlier train. I'd expect ticket office staff to disallow it, but I'd just ask the guard on board. It would be the same price on board anyway. Many guards would be understanding.

I did actually flirt with the idea of getting on the VT service and explaining the situation, I just don't like the idea of getting on without a valid ticket though. Turned out that it didn't get checked anyway :roll:

As for changing at Stockport, that thought never seems to enter my head for whatever reason, it'd probably even work out slightly cheaper if I did it that way actually.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had a XC advance for the 1120 Stoke - Piccadilly and another advance booking for the 1220 TPE service from Piccadilly to Sheffield.
Then you would probably have made the connection as you had a 39 minute connection at Stockport.
Normally, I'd just get a VT only day return (as it works out the same price), but (somewhat ironically) went for the XC because it gave me an extra 10 minutes or so to change at Piccadilly :|
With a walk-on any operator return at £10.50 is it worth the risk of Advance fares? (There is a cheaper VT-only walk-on fare to Manchester, £8.90 CDR) I would only book Advance fares if there is a significant saving to be had. If they were £2 or £3 each way, then it would be a good deal, but then you wouldn't be asking for a refund of £2 or £3 I guess!
I did actually flirt with the idea of getting on the VT service and explaining the situation, I just don't like the idea of getting on without a valid ticket though. Turned out that it didn't get checked anyway :roll:
The worst they could do is £8.80 to Manchester (or £10.40 return), so I would have got on and if the guard came round explained and asked.

Ticket office staff will say no because it's the guard's discretion and they don't like to be seen to be telling a guard to accept it. (unless there are exceptional circumstances or big delays then they may endorse it).
As for changing at Stockport, that thought never seems to enter my head for whatever reason, it'd probably even work out slightly cheaper if I did it that way actually.
Yes, is this the first time you've done that journey? If you do it again, you know that the lines join up at Stockport now, so you can save time and money next time.:)

The Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester & Sheffield map is good for showing the services in the area: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/syste...Rail_LiverpoolLeedsManchesterSheffieldmap.pdf

thewolf

Yes, is this the first time you've done that journey?

No :lol:

I've done it probably half a dozen times, I think I changed at Stockport once. Normally go to Piccadilly, I have no idea why :p

I'll make sure to do it next time I think seeing as it gives an extra 20 minutes or so to play with...

Status
Not open for further replies.