• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Halifax revamp moves a step closer

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Platform 3 won't be happening as the nursery currently occupying the building requested NR to find another building suitable, none were, so as they own the building have said no we don't want to sell (from a manager who lives in the town).
I'd assumed that it was only the Bradford end of that platform that was proposed to be revived, and that the bit encased in glass for the Eureka creche would stay as-is anyway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I'd assumed that it was only the Bradford end of that platform that was proposed to be revived, and that the bit encased in glass for the Eureka creche would stay as-is anyway.

I think one of the options that was considered prior to Eureka being consulted, was to retain the creche upon the southern end of the platform in order to allow a platform length for 5 car trains, however it would be a lot smaller than their present that has grown in recent years.

matacaster

On Moderation
Platform 3 won't be happening as the nursery currently occupying the building requested NR to find another building suitable, none were, so as they own the building have said no we don't want to sell (from a manager who lives in the town).

Regardless of whether they own the building or not, a compulsory purchase order can be sought.

snowball

Established Member
Regardless of whether they own the building or not, a compulsory purchase order can be sought.

As far as I know, a compulsory purchase order can't be made in isolation. It can only be made in pursuit of a scheme to do something, under one or other of a specified list of laws. In the case of railway works, I imagine that would be an Order under the Transport and Works Act, which would require its own legal procedure.

XDM

If NR really wanted to do the work an offer could be made that the nursery owners cannot refuse. The cost would still be tiny in relation to the total work bill.

Re Compulsory purchase. In my work area NR were very quickly able to acquire farm land when an embankment started slipping. The land was permanently acquired as NR decided to make the embankment slopes much less steep as a permanent solution.

Surely the railway has compulsory powers to do this emergency work?
I accept the Halifax work is not an emergency, but can the same compulsory purchase powers be used?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
A CPO could be used but NR won't because although the building is no-longer part of the network, the platform that would be needed is in-fact leased. They're are plans to relocate the Nursery into what was the Working Horse Museum that they also own. To say TRU is to begin next year and the diversionary route is via Halifax no-doubt turning platform 2 into a bi-directional loop will be needed so the question is will Network Rail wait for this to be completed or will they simply kick them out?

B&I

Established Member
If it was built upon a deck adjacent to the existing high level station entrance that in my opinion should be kept, although not necessarily the existing building then I would be more favorable towards it moving. But when the railway station is already out at the bottom edge of the town centre I can't see how moving the bus station they're will serve the town effectively. Probably great for those travelling by bus across Calderdale, but not those visiting Halifax.

I assume that there are few, if any, buses which pass the station, not having already come from.the town centre. Buses could continue to run through the town centre and then terminate at the railway station, which would presumably have the added benefit of less dwell time for buses at town centre stops. How about a new combined bus station and multi-storey car park beside the railway station ?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I assume that there are few, if any, buses which pass the station, not having already come from.the town centre.

Currently they'res about 2, 1 calls at the station (TJ Walsh - Minibus) and the other I believe (Yorkshire Tiger) turns right at the last junction that leads to the station.

Buses could continue to run through the town centre and then terminate at the railway station

Buses from the South do go through the town centre, i.e. Market St along with a few from Illingworth/Ovenden however buses from the West and those from Bradford/Leeds head straight to the bus station.

I can see moving the bus station would only mean that this would alternate, with buses from the South bypassing the town centre and heading straight towards the bus station instead.

How about a new combined bus station and multi-storey car park beside the railway station ?

I like the idea, but Im unsure whenever or not they're is enough room for the bus station. May be the ideal solution lies with having 2 small bus stations of equal size?

That way those that would normally bypass the town centre would terminate at the station upon the opposite side of town and visa versa, at least then all buses would serve both the town and the railway station.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Wish they were futureproofing so they could add the third platform. I don't think they are are they?

Well the article talks about reconfiguring platforms one and two, but this is the Councils plans.

Previous plan was to extend P3 outwards but that will leave a massive gap between the canopy and the train and require a fence all the way down the island platform.

Let's hope NR just happen to be planning on reinstating it with the island as a turnback for these terminating services we now have!

I would love to see it reinstated!

Greetlander

A lot about the plan is great, and I like how it fits into a bigger footprint from the station around the Minster, Piece Hall, Square Chapel, Library and up through Woolshops. It really is a good looking town.

I'm with you on the platform - I don't understand how you wouldn't take the opportunity of a multi-million pound investment to future proof with a third platform. I know there are busier two platform stations though, so maybe I just have unrealistic ideas.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
A lot of the comments on FBook have been quite negative and someone even said it looks like something by the sea. Lols

Regarding the third platform I think someone on here or HADRAG were suggesting slewing the line's over for the interim. I do like the sound of that.

I like this but I also liked the last design, but the only problem with it for me was that you were approaching it from the wrong direction.

What ever happens I think Halifax will end up with a station to be proud of.
It is certainly to see that people think that the rest of Halifax is looking good.

YorksLad12

Established Member
I'd always assumed that any third platform would be a bay from the Bradford end, on the west side of the station where there once was a platform and line. Handy for the (Hell) Hull & Halifax service... Interesting to see how this develops.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Hot of the press: Eureka looks to be closing the Nursery that currently occupies the third platform at Halifax.

'Halifax's Eureka Children's Museum announces job cuts and closure of nursery plans', Halifax Courier, 10th October 2020

Could we shortly being a step closer to a reopened third platform ?

Greetlander

Yes I did read this - who knows in this time of budgetary constraints, but it does seem like a good opportunity to bring the building back into railway use.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Yes I did read this - who knows in this time of budgetary constraints, but it does seem like a good opportunity to bring the building back into railway use.

Would love to see the entire building brought back into use although the rest of it is occupied by various offices, a bit of the platform at the Southern end is also used and can be hired out as an events space.

Although having said that they may just hand the lease back to Network Rail for the entire platform bit since this is about saving money.

Glenn1969

Established Member
I thought Network Rail had deemed the 3rd platform to not be necessary for the forseeable future and the current plans would still leave a 2 platform station?

Halifaxlad

Established Member
When say 'third platform' Im mainly referring to which one it is, obviously bringing it back into use doesn't necessarily mean Halifax will get a third platform.

The 'Calderdale Next Chapter' website states:
  • Platform 1 and 2 reconfiguration - to create improved pedestrian space by reconfiguring the platform access and waiting area.

TUC

Established Member
[
It was announced yesterday thst the nursery is closing.

Greetlander

So even if the hire space at the southern end remains in private ownership, it is now possible that that majority of the platform could be adapted or brought back. There does seem to be a lack of clarity in various reports as to if it’s either needed or wanted.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I think the current plan is to skew the lines over with aspirations for the existing p2 to become P3 at some point although (I could be wrong)

Pre-Covid, it was an absolute pain if you were trying to get down the steps to the platform during peak hour if a service had just arrived.

Seperating services over two platforms should help address the general crowding issue which isn't helped by the glazed waiting area at the bottom of the stairs or by the narrow platform at either side of the waiting room .

YorksLad12

Established Member
Looking at Google Maps (as one does) there seems to be enough space to build a new platform to the east (where the ducting is), but using the existing line. And a wider bit north of that for the lifts and stairs. That would improve circulation space on the island and also means no track moves (which means the station can be kept open during the work). Then the western platform could be brought back into use as P3 if needed.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
These stainless steel boxes have appeared on both sides of the entrance to the footbridge. Does anybody know what they're for ?

IMG_20201028_160516.jpg

Presumably a control panel by the looks of things, but I'm

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
These stainless steel boxes have appeared on both sides of the entrance to the footbridge. Does anybody know what they're for ?
[…]
Presumably a control panel by the looks of things, but I'm

Smartcard reader wall mounting box, I believe. Compare the layout of the three screws on the angled panel with those in this photo of a post mount:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks I've seen them installed elsewhere on the Calder Valley line but somehow missed that Halifax hadn't recieved them yet.
I seems an odd place to put them, right at the side of an automatic door. Is there a similar fitting on the other side of the doorway?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Pre-Covid, it was an absolute pain if you were trying to get down the steps to the platform during peak hour if a service had just arrived.
That happens almost everywhere to be honest. Seems that the average rail user either doesn't understand the words "Keep Left on Stairs" or views them as a challenge! :lol:

Halifaxlad

Established Member
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this but more details of the plans for Halifax Station have been released as part of the latest consultation excersise.

Station_Interior_-_atrium.jpeg

West Yorkshire Combined Authority, Your Voice website.

Interestingly access routes are to be modified throughout construction which makes me think that the third platform will be brought back into use albeit temporarily and without track of course, although presumably the footbridge will have to be fixed first as the only way out will be past the signal box and through Network Rail's yard. If this takes off its certainly going to be interesting.

Screenshot_20210212_233838.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.