• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hall Leys Park miniature railway, Matlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

4SRKT

Established Member
When I was a very young child my family lived in Belper, and among the very faint memories I have of that time is a green steam locomotive operating along a stretch of track in a park in Matlock. What little I have been able to find online says that the track is still there, but since 1974 has been operated by a freelance (and frankly plug-ugly) diesel locomotive and the track is a most unusual 9 1/2" gauge.

1974 is the year my family moved to York (I was 3 years old at the time), and all memories of this railway cease from this point. I can't even find any photos of the steam loco online. The closest I can get is a B&W shot from 1951 of something that someone thinks might be a sister locomotive from another railway in a different park in the area that closed before I was born.

Does anyone have any information on this line, and particularly the locomotive, dating from before 1974? Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
The Ian Allan book "Miniature Railways" published in 1966 gives no mention of this line. But their "ABC Miniature Railways" - effectively an update - published in 1998 says that the line was opened in 1948. But it doesn't say what loco first ran on the line.

Regarding the 9 1/2" gauge - this was popular between WW1 and WW2 particularly for private estates; the scale locos were built to was 2" to 1ft. But the 10 1/4" gauge became more popular despite its less convenient scale of 2 1/4" to 1ft, as equipment was more robust for public lines.

But there may still be a few public 9 1/2" around in addition to the Hall Leys line:
Lakeshore Railroad, South Shields
Barking Railway, Barking Park
Clevedon Miniature Railway, Somerset

Faversham Miniature Railway, in a garden centre in Faversham, has the very unusual gauge of 9".

(The above were listed in a 2000 book, but I can't promise they're still around! There was a 9 1/2" line at Dansom Park, Welling, near where I grew up, but it was lifted many years ago, alas.)

Smudger105e

Yes, and what a shocker it is!

This is the photo I found of the apparent sister loco that operated on a line at Matlock Bath. I can remember the Hall Leys one being green. It looks a bit like a pacific version of a Little Giant, like Colossus from the R&ER.

http://www.andrewsgen.com/matlock/pix/matlock_park_hallleys_14_minrly.htm

Is that the loco that is resident in the west Shed at Butterley, the one that is now painted in LMS livery that the kids can play on? I have a few pictures of it, will upload them when I can...

4SRKT

Established Member
Is that the loco that is resident in the west Shed at Butterley, the one that is now painted in LMS livery that the kids can play on? I have a few pictures of it, will upload them when I can...

Thanks.

Smudger105e

Sorry 4SRKT, forgot about this! Here are a few pics of the loco at Butterley, not that good of the loco, but should give you a flavour and maybe help indentifying...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although I suspect that the loco pictured above is the one shown in Derwent Gardens in this picture, although it may have been moved?

mb_dg-miniature-rly-2.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Photos taken today.

Sploosh

Living in matlock i get to see this little train when i walk the dog down by the river but again it still pulls the tourists in even though it does not go far .

Status
Not open for further replies.