• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Halton Curve upgrade is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbophile

Established Member
I think it would be an utterly unworkable. All of the areas you quoted are in Cheshire and pensioners in Cheshire do not get concessionary rail travel. To extend the Merseytravel area so deep into Cheshire would require a huge rise in Council taxes in Merseyside to pay for it and from what has been in the news recently voters in Halton do not want to be under Steve Rotherhams jurisdiction.
Widnes and Runcorn are under Rotheram's jurisdiction. They might not be officially Merseyside but they are in the Liverpool City Region. So including Frodsham and Helsby in the Merseytravel area would be no more radical than Hooton to Chester which are already there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

frodshamfella

Established Member
When I took my first ride on the new service, I noticed on the curve there could be space for a Beechwood Station , let's hope it it considered for the future.

frodshamfella

Established Member
Widnes and Runcorn are under Rotheram's jurisdiction. They might not be officially Merseyside but they are in the Liverpool City Region. So including Frodsham and Helsby in the Merseytravel area would be no more radical than Hooton to Chester which are already there.

I agree.

Arriva 175

There is a massive difference. Merseytravel pays Merseyrail subsidies for the entirety of its system. The extensions of Saveaway. Trio etc to Ormskirk and Chester where as a result of them being so linked. To extend the Merseytravel area to Runcorn, Frodsham and Helsby would require money to be given to TFW, WMR and VT for the priviledge. And believe me it wouldn't be cheap. It may likely extend to at least Runcorn as part of the Liverpool City Region but when local councils cut services to schools, libraries and hospitals is this something Merseyside council tax payers really want to pay for?

driver_m

Established Member
There is a massive difference. Merseytravel pays Merseyrail subsidies for the entirety of its system. The extensions of Saveaway. Trio etc to Ormskirk and Chester where as a result of them being so linked. To extend the Merseytravel area to Runcorn, Frodsham and Helsby would require money to be given to TFW, WMR and VT for the priviledge. And believe me it wouldn't be cheap. It may likely extend to at least Runcorn as part of the Liverpool City Region but when local councils cut services to schools, libraries and hospitals is this something Merseyside council tax payers really want to pay for?

But we already are.... We pay a Merseytravel sub in our council tax which is clearly highlighted as going toward the LCR. Of which Halton is part of.

fowler9

Established Member
I have seen the number of passengers vary over the last week but the one in to Lime Street from South Parkway I just decided to swerve was absolutely rammed. Was thinking of getting it out to Chester today but might give it a miss. Ha ha. Have done the Halton Curve a few times before so not missing out. It was behind a 37 or a 31 last time, can't remember off the top of my head. Not a clue what the service was.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I normally use Acton Bridge to go to Liverpool so its great having more choice now, Also significantly lower fare.

jamesst

I have seen the number of passengers vary over the last week but the one in to Lime Street from South Parkway I just decided to swerve was absolutely rammed. Was thinking of getting it out to Chester today but might give it a miss. Ha ha. Have done the Halton Curve a few times before so not missing out. It was behind a 37 or a 31 last time, can't remember off the top of my head. Not a clue what the service was.

Think today that may be due to most of the services on the Lime St to Runcorn section being cancelled due to engineering work

fowler9

Established Member
Chester races and loads of Rugby in Liverpool today as it turns out. Plus it being a bank holiday. The 158 I got out to Chester was horrible. Chocka and the air con wasn't working.

sw1ller

Established Member
Chester races and loads of Rugby in Liverpool today as it turns out. Plus it being a bank holiday. The 158 I got out to Chester was horrible. Chocka and the air con wasn't working.
There’s air con in a 158???? Nahhhhhhh

frodshamfella

Established Member
Picked up a friend at Frodsham yesterday arrived at 16.09. He said train was rammed , quite a few got off at Runcorn as no trains on London line, but nevertheless plenty alighted at Frodsham too I saw and still more passengers going onward. Good to see it busy.

frodshamfella

Established Member
On my way from Frodsham to Lime Street now , platform machine still not offering correct fare ie via Runcorn. £7.60 lowest day return fare.

Llandudno

Established Member
Some observations from yesterday, Sunday..

1247 Ex Chester
Approx 70 boarded at Chester
15-20 at Helsby
20-25 at Frodsham

50+ at Runcorn (only train running, as mainly buses covering other services)

Standing load going forward to Lime Street.

30 off and 10 on at Parkway

Pretty good numbers for this time of day, most people heading to Liverpool for the events on the city or shopping would have set out earlier?

Interestingly at Chester, as the Manchester trains were diverted and running non stop owing to engineering works, passengers for Helsby and Frodsham were being directed onto buses even though the Halton Curve train was running only a few minutes after the buses were due to depart!

Just a side issue, the Halton Curve train terminated in the non gated section at Lime Street, potential for lack of fare collection/ticket check?

frodshamfella

Established Member
I travelled Frodsham to Lime Street yesterday, out on 17.01, and back I think 21.58, both services were well supported. It seems to be a good start.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Just a side issue, the Halton Curve train terminated in the non gated section at Lime Street, potential for lack of fare collection/ticket check?

That's normal for trains arriving from the South Parkway direction (CLC, Crewe etc) in the south shed.
There's also normally no ticket check if you arrive on Merseyrail and use the lift rather than the escalator route.

fowler9

Established Member
That's normal for trains arriving from the South Parkway direction (CLC, Crewe etc) in the south shed.
There's also normally no ticket check if you arrive on Merseyrail and use the lift rather than the escalator route.
It's because us people from South Liverpool are more trustworthy. Ha ha .

frodshamfella

Established Member
Did a Frodsham to Liverpool return today, outward on a 158...busy train, i like these trains very comfy. Bought ticket in train as machine still not offering £5.60 day return
( you cant use this fare during evening peaks ).
A 151 coming back. All on time. So far im pretty impressed.

anamyd

On Moderation
Did a Frodsham to Liverpool return today, outward on a 158...busy train, i like these trains very comfy. Bought ticket in train as machine still not offering £5.60 day return
( you cant use this fare during evening peaks ).
A 151 coming back. All on time. So far im pretty impressed.
A 150 not a 151 I'm guessing...? :)

fowler9

Established Member
175008 back from Chester to Liverpool after 175113 on the way out. The other unit out was 150217. Seems Transport For Wales have a random unit generator that beats Northerns when it comes to what is used on a service .

Bovverboy

Established Member
175008 back from Chester to Liverpool after 175113 on the way out. The other unit out was 150217. Seems Transport For Wales have a random unit generator that beats Northerns when it comes to what is used on a service .

It seems that there were substitutions at 1012 and 1630 today, but they were neither scheduled in advance nor are they a regular occurrence.
The only serious scheduled drop-back involves the 1928 arrival in Chester ex-Liverpool which does the 2030 return, because, of course, the 1927 departure is covered by the arrival ex-Wrexham.

Status
Not open for further replies.