• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Halton Curve upgrade is on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
Hi,

Does anyone know what the likely rolling stock will be for this service when it starts I thought it was expected to be 150s but I have seen 175s on the training runs recently?

Luke

KevinTurvey

Out travelling this week I see 175's are making an appearance at Lime Street on training runs. In the 20 or so years they have been running around the North West I have never actually seen one in Liverpool, then 2 turn up! A couple of pics from Tuesday and Thursday for anybody interested.

Attachments

• IMGP8052R.jpg
    IMGP8052R.jpg
    802.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMGP8071R.jpg
    IMGP8071R.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 106

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Out travelling this week I see 175's are making an appearance at Lime Street on training runs. In the 20 or so years they have been running around the North West I have never actually seen one in Liverpool, then 2 turn up! A couple of pics from Tuesday and Thursday for anybody interested.

TFW Diagrams have had a tweak so this has now become a 175 during down time at Chester Some early trips were made on a Sunday and these were 175 worked.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The original FNW plan for 175s was to use them on some Liverpool-Blackpool runs (linked to their Airport-Blackpool diagrams, and even a Chester-Blackpool service).
But their original availability was so poor that I'm not sure any of them actually made it to Liverpool before the fleet was concentrated on W&B services.

frodshamfella

Established Member
What is the reason that's this new service for the most part is not running through to some Welsh destinations from the outset ?

You can't see the content without joining the group, could you summarise?
Apologies.
It is a summary of the new fares. Perhaps better if I post them to the Fares forum.
All prices from Helsby.
SDR £7.50.
CDR £6.00
Single £5.90

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190420-155448.png
    Screenshot_20190420-155448.png
    666.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There are not enough units at the moment.

Plus the timetable will have to be recast towards the coast/Shrewsbury, so it makes sense to do it with all the other changes coming in the next year or two.
And I'm sure TfW (ie WG) and Merseytravel want to let the service bed down and assess the initial usage before adding capacity elsewhere.
The initial funding was just for the Liverpool-Chester shuttle.

The fares are much better than from Acton Bridge to Liverpool , I use this station for Liverpool and South Parkway at the moment .
If you consider from Frodsham or Helsby it would cost you a fiver in petrol and a minimum of £3.80 for a return crossing on the new bridge, a £30 per week commute cost isn't bad at all.

gazzaa2

Those new fares seem expensive by comparison. The new Lime St - Chester route is showing at £12.60 full peak return and I can't see an off peak option. As already mentioned, Chester to Liverpool Merseyrail is £7.80 peak return, and £5.30 off peak.

Whilst a time conscious peak traveller might pay the extra £4.80, surely no off peak traveller is going to pay the extra £7.30.

From Runcorn to Chester it is still showing as £12.50 with no off peak option, whereas from Runcorn East to Chester it is £8.60 and for a faster journey time. Bizarre! (sourced from NRE website)

Sadly, if the above is true ridership may not be great.

Sitting on the Merseyrail from Chester to Lime Street for an hour, with no access to a toilet, when you've had a few beers, is not pleasant.

Vinnym

Not quite an hour, 46 mins Chester to Liverpool Central. However I know what you mean. I remember having a few beers in Liverpool one evening and planned to use the loo in Central before boarding my train. As I got to the barrier there was a huge queue for the gents, Chester races being the reason, must have been a few guys feeling uncomfortable on that journey back from Chester.

urbophile

Established Member
There must be a large proportion of people who travel (or who would travel) to Chester and beyond, from south Liverpool, and find it much more convenient to pick up the train at Liverpool South Parkway. That would be roughly half the travel time.

Llandudno

Established Member
Not be long before 4 car trains are required on Halton Curve trains, especially on Saturdays.
Two great leisure, shopping and sports destinations (pubs aren’t bad either!) linked by an hourly train!

Frodsham not bad for a night out too, especially as no buses in the evening!

sw1ller

Established Member
What is the time of the last train? We have a Liverpool job for drivers that finishes after 4am. I believe this has some shunting work on the back of it though. Would be nice to get a train back to Chester after 12 though.

There was talk of a multi-storey car park at Helsby, not sure if it’s still on the cards.
It was extended by about 10 or so spaces on some land that was used by Network Rail as a site for the recent footbridge overhaul. No sign of a multi storey and with the local council about to start charging to use the car park at the top of Station Avenue it could get messy in the streets surrounding the station, especially with the Chester to Leeds service calling in the Peak as well.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I believe Cheshire West And Chester council plan to start charging for parking in Frodsham, which is a bit of a shame, its so rare these days you can just park and go without looki g for change. The muddy top end of the car park on the Chester bound side of Frodsham Station has now been properly tarmaced I understand.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I believe Cheshire West And Chester council plan to start charging for parking in Frodsham, which is a bit of a shame, its so rare these days you can just park and go without looki g for change. The muddy top end of the car park on the Chester bound side of Frodsham Station has now been properly tarmaced I understand.

It has, and I think they’ll be charging for the station car park. Main St will be 2 hour maximum stay except for residents.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
I'm suprised they don't already - it's a good income stream to pay for maintenance and Frodsham itself stretches at most a mile either side of the station so most people have an alternative.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The same council charges £1 a day at Hooton (Merseyrail) on a large purpose built car park.
It's very good value compared to major stations (I think Chester is £6.50 a day now, and often without space).
The gate is manned most of the time (entry/exit is automated, with cards and wave and pay).
I park there and use the train to reach airports (Manchester and Liverpool) and it's far cheaper than paying the extortionate airport fees.

urbophile

Established Member
The same council charges £1 a day at Hooton (Merseyrail) on a large purpose built car park.
It's very good value compared to major stations (I think Chester is £6.50 a day now, and often without space).
The gate is manned most of the time (entry/exit is automated, with cards and wave and pay).
I park there and use the train to reach airports (Manchester and Liverpool) and it's far cheaper than paying the extortionate airport fees.
I suppose that is because Hooton is just outside Merseyside. As far as I know Merseyrail do not charge parking fees at any of their other stations.

driver_m

Established Member
I suppose that is because Hooton is just outside Merseyside. As far as I know Merseyrail do not charge parking fees at any of their other stations.

They do at St. Helens Central. Admittedly you will get it back if you have a valid train ticket. This is to deter town centre users who don’t use the trains though in fairness.

Status
Not open for further replies.