• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Halton Curve upgrade is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigybagel

Established Member
According to new timetable from May this year, its looks like the 0703 ( M-F from Chester to Liverpool via the curve originates in Shrewsbury. I don't believe this has happened before being Wrexham General the furthest this service has come from/to.

That change took place last month. It replaces the old 0600 Shrewsbury - Wrexham. This was a 150 that went on to the Bidston line. Now the Bidston unit comes from Chester, and the service from Shrewsbury through to Liverpool uses a 175.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
According to new timetable from May this year, its looks like the 0703 ( M-F from Chester to Liverpool via the curve originates in Shrewsbury. I don't believe this has happened before being Wrexham General the furthest this service has come from/to.

It started at last month's timetable change.
While it's true it's the first time for a Shrewsbury-Wrexham-Chester-Liverpool service, there was a regular (fast) Shrewsbury-Crewe-Liverpool service for decades until Wales & West (I think it was) decided to send all their trains to Manchester.
Plus all the Shrewsbury-Chester-Birkenhead services until 1967 of course.

frodshamfella

Established Member
It started at last month's timetable change.
While it's true it's the first time for a Shrewsbury-Wrexham-Chester-Liverpool service, there was a regular (fast) Shrewsbury-Crewe-Liverpool service for decades until Wales & West (I think it was) decided to send all their trains to Manchester.
Plus all the Shrewsbury-Chester-Birkenhead services until 1967 of course.

Good to see the link back then, I didn't notice a southbound service unfortunately.
When are we likely to see Liverpool - North Wales commencing ?

krus_aragon

Established Member
Good to see the link back then, I didn't notice a southbound service unfortunately.
When are we likely to see Liverpool - North Wales commencing ?
We need more rolling stock (197s) to do that (and extend down to Cardiff), so it'll be 2022 before we see them.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've only travelled off-peak, but these trains are very quiet out of Chester.
Gets busier at Helsby and Frodsham (especially), and picks up a few at Runcorn.
At times I've been the only one getting off at Parkway, with nobody boarding.
The timing of these trains between Runcorn and Lime St, closely following LM services, does nothing for local traffic potential.
Southbound, you do get airport traffic at Parkway, but I've seen some very confused passengers thinking it would run via the Wirral.
With all the disruption to LM services recently, the AW service is a stable performer on the route - rarely late or cancelled.

At Chester those heading for Merseyrail's 4tph largely ignore the Halton service, even though the xx32 AW would be a nicer journey in much the same time as ME's xx31.
Another observation is that the Northern Manchester Victoria service seems to be picking up trade, and is noticeably busier than the Halton service.
Passengers changing from the coast have twigged it's a decent service in the "other" half of the hour to the Piccadilly service.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Another observation is that the Northern Manchester Victoria service seems to be picking up trade, and is noticeably busier than the Halton service.
Passengers changing from the coast have twigged it's a decent service in the "other" half of the hour to the Piccadilly service.
Has this led to the TfW service to Manchester getting noticeably less busy?

VT 390

Established Member
I travelled on 12.44 today Frodsham to Liverpool ...packed.
On Saturday 25 January I saw the previous 12:19 arrival in to Lime Street and I didn't know you could even fit that many people on to a 150, so it must be something at that time of day people want to come to Liverpool for as I travelled on this service back out and it was almost empty.

AndrewE

Established Member
On Saturday 25 January I saw the previous 12:19 arrival in to Lime Street and I didn't know you could even fit that many people on to a 150, so it must be something at that time of day people want to come to Liverpool for as I travelled on this service back out and it was almost empty.
Are EMT still tipping their customers out at Liverpool S Parkway? That might account for it.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I've travelled on various days and various times including Sundays and have found passengers carrying respectable to busy. Seems to pick up quite a few at Runcorn also. I must say I've found the staff very friendly on the route.

sw1ller

Established Member
I've travelled on various days and various times including Sundays and have found passengers carrying respectable to busy. Seems to pick up quite a few at Runcorn also. I must say I've found the staff very friendly on the route.
Not been on my train then!!!

M28361M

I wonder if TfW picked up any extra passengers on Sunday 2nd Feb with the Merseyrail service being bustituted between Hooton and Chester?

frodshamfella

Established Member
I wonder if TfW picked up any extra passengers on Sunday 2nd Feb with the Merseyrail service being bustituted between Hooton and Chester?

Maybe. Still a learning curve for passengers I expect, takes a long time for info to filter through.

Djgr

Established Member
I've only travelled off-peak, but these trains are very quiet out of Chester.
Gets busier at Helsby and Frodsham (especially), and picks up a few at Runcorn.
At times I've been the only one getting off at Parkway, with nobody boarding.
The timing of these trains between Runcorn and Lime St, closely following LM services, does nothing for local traffic potential.
Southbound, you do get airport traffic at Parkway, but I've seen some very confused passengers thinking it would run via the Wirral.
With all the disruption to LM services recently, the AW service is a stable performer on the route - rarely late or cancelled.

At Chester those heading for Merseyrail's 4tph largely ignore the Halton service, even though the xx32 AW would be a nicer journey in much the same time as ME's xx31.

Outside of the enthusiast community there's not a huge incentive to travel from Chester to Liverpool via the Halton curve.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Outside of the enthusiast community there's not a huge incentive to travel from Chester to Liverpool via the Halton curve.
Agreed. It's the through service from places beyond Chester (plus the direct service for Helsby and Frodsham) that will be the key drivers of traffic.

AndrewE

Established Member
Agreed. It's the through service from places beyond Chester (plus the direct service for Helsby and Frodsham) that will be the key drivers of traffic.
That and the access to the airport without a change of train.

frodshamfella

Established Member
It will be when the service goes beyond Chester when it comes into its own. It has certainly made reaching the airport much easier, plus Chester to Rucorn.

Eccles1983

On Moderation

Apart from a toilet and WiFi.

Funny that, must be a truck load of enthusiasts I see getting on and off at Chester and staying on until Lime Street.

Llandudno

Established Member
The Halton Curve Route between Chester and Liverpool is considerably more expensive than Merseyrail.

Day Return via Halton Curve £7.90
Merseytravel Saveaway valid after 0930 £5.55 (also valid on buses in Liverpool)

Difficult for TfW to poach Merseyrail passengers, perhaps they ought to price match?

M28361M

The Halton Curve Route between Chester and Liverpool is considerably more expensive than Merseyrail.

Day Return via Halton Curve £7.90
Merseytravel Saveaway valid after 0930 £5.55 (also valid on buses in Liverpool)

Difficult for TfW to poach Merseyrail passengers, perhaps they ought to price match?

£7.90 is the "via Birkenhead" Anytime Day Return; the "via Runcorn" is £7.70, so actually slightly cheaper than Merseyrail.

The Off Peak Day Return "via Runcorn", however, is £6.10, so more expensive and also has an evening peak restriction which Merseyrail fares don't. Not much space for TfW to reduce it without undercutting the Chester-Frodsham CDR at £5.90.

It's a bit annoying that there is no reasonably priced ticket that allows travel both ways - the only "Any Permitted" Return fare is an Anytime Day Return at £12.90.

kieron

Established Member
TfW have off peak tickets as well, now.

What they don't have is 4 trains an hour. As the Merseyrail off peak ticket is a PTE product, you can't buy a cheap excess fare if you've already paid but want to use the TfW train.

Of course, Merseyrail only has this much of an advantage if your journey is between Chester and Liverpool. TfW doesn't need to chase after every single potential passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.