• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hampton Court Zone 2-6 ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts345

Hello,
I have a monthly South West train ticket zone 2-6 ticket for Hampton Court to Vauxhall . It says for journeys between HC and Vauxhall, any route permitted.
HC is in Zone 6. My question is: can I use this ticket to travel from Vauxhall to Kingston upon Thames and Vauxhall to Staines, both stations I believe are zone 6. Many thanks:lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CheapAndNerdy

Hi,

Your monthly zones 2-6 season ticket is valid for travel to any station within zones 2-6(!), which includes Kingston, but not Staines, which is not in zone 6 (it is outside the London travel zones).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Does your ticket actually say "Travelcard" on it? From your description it seems to me that you may only have a point-to-point season. How much did the ticket cost?

kieron

Established Member
I have a monthly South West train ticket zone 2-6 ticket for Hampton Court to Vauxhall . It says for journeys between HC and Vauxhall, any route permitted.
If this is a ticket which says on it that it's for journeys between those places (rather than something like "Hampton Court & Zones 2-6"), it's valid to use on the direct route between Hampton Court and Wimbledon, and then on one of a number of routes between Wimbledon and Vauxhall.

If you rarely go to Staines or Kingston, you have a choice between paper tickets and smart cards. Touching in and out with a smart card can only be done where the train stops, and may mean that you have to catch a different train from the station than the one you caught to it. I don't think you can use these at Staines, although you can at Feltham.

If you are using your season ticket for part of a journey, and single or return tickets for the rest, you can switch from one to the other at any station the train passes through. For Kingston, this would be something like New Malden-Kingston.

The cost of doing it each way will generally be different, so it may be something to look into.

If you go there frequently, you may like to consider whether the season ticket you have is the best value one for your circumstances.

Last edited:

James Wake

If you do have a Hampton Court to Zones 2-6 travelcard it is worth noting you can use any of the four Tfl buses that serve Staines at no extra cost:
Route 117 from West Middlesex Hospital via Hounslow, Feltham and Ashford
Route 203 from Hounslow via Hatton Cross, Stanwell and Ashford Hospital
Route 216 from Kingston via Hampton Court, Sunbury and Ashford
Route 290 from Twickenham via Fulwell, Sunbury and Ashford.

ts345

Thank you so much for your comments it's really useful - my card is a monthly season between Hampton Court and Vauxhall - route - any permitted...I'm slightly confused - I have checked and see that Kingston and Fletham are zone 6 - Hampton Court is zone 6 - I idea how these tickets work - if both Kingston and Feltham are in zone 6 like HC can I use it there as long as I travel from Vauxhall?
Also ref buses - this would be good to know - can I use this on any (tfl )red)bus?
I would upload a picture of my ticket/card if I knew how to! Thank you

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
A monthly season ticket is valid by National Rail services only on so-called "permitted routes" between the two stations mentioned and at any intermediate stations. The "ticket type" is shown as "Season". They look like this (but more usually on orange ticket stock):
foiextract20120801-14238-rfqtz-0-36_3.jpg

A Travelcard is valid on NR, Tube and DLR services in the Zones, plus all TfL buses and Trams (if it covers any of Z4-6). Travelcards have the TfL roundel and the word "Travelcard" prominently on them:
300px-Weektravelcard.jpg

A rail-only monthly is £109.50; a Z2-6 Travelcard is £155.60.

If you have a rail-only Season as it seems, then you cannot use it to Feltham as this is not on a permitted route for Hampton Court-Vauxhall. I've not checked but I would imagine the only permitted route is the direct one. The fact that both stations are in the same zone is not relevant as it is not a zonal ticket. You will need a ticket from the last station covered to Staines - in most cases this will be Clapham Junction to Staines; if travelling via Weybridge then from Surbiton (or if in the peak; the Surbiton-Staines Anytime Day Return is cheaper than that from Clapham Junction...).

If you regularly make extra journeys within London not covered by your season, the Travelcard is probably a much better deal. If you get one issued on Oyster then even if travelling into zones not covered you'll automatically be charged only the extra from the edge of your Travelcard to your destination provided that:
- You tap in and out.
- You stay within the Oyster area - check if you're not sure (e.g. Staines would not be valid; you would need to buy a paper ticket from either Feltham or "Boundary Zone 6" before leaving your Zones).

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Thank you so much for your comments it's really useful - my card is a monthly season between Hampton Court and Vauxhall - route - any permitted...I'm slightly confused - I have checked and see that Kingston and Fletham are zone 6 - Hampton Court is zone 6 - I idea how these tickets work - if both Kingston and Feltham are in zone 6 like HC can I use it there as long as I travel from Vauxhall?
Also ref buses - this would be good to know - can I use this on any (tfl )red)bus?
I would upload a picture of my ticket/card if I knew how to! Thank you

Hi,

The short answer is no. Your ticket is only valid on the direct line of route between Hampton Court and Vauxhall unfortunately.

You'd require a Zones 2-6 Travelcard if you wanted to have a choice of travelling to Kingston or Feltham as well as Hampton Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.