• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Handforth Parish Council meeting goes wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I notice all the councillors who stood for election were either independents or a member of an independent group. Yet after Cheshire East Council was poorly managed by the Conservatives for 8 years, a lot of people switched to voting independent in the hope it would resolve the issues.
There was a partisan (Lib Dem) candidate in the 2019 parish council elections, for Handforth West - but he came last behind six independent candidates!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Is there a difference between Clerk and Proper Officer?

Was the meeting properly called or was it called illegally?

Can the Chairman declare himself Clerk?

Does Jackie Weaver have the authority to remove people from the meeting?

Can the Chairman be removed?

If the Chairman is removed, should the vice Chair take charge or should a new Chair be elected?

Does anyone know who was right in all of this? :lol:
"Find out next week, on 'Handforth Parish Council'" - I'm thinking this could be a soap opera... ;)

That said regardless of who was right some behaviour was very poor.
I found myself laughing through a lot of it but yes, shocking behaviour from a group of adults.

Perhaps the best bits were firstly someone saying they were in a meeting and they would call someone back and then someone saying ''we're trying to do a Teams meeting you fool!" after everyone was told to turn their microphones off!
People also seemed to walk in and out at random points, many were facing the wrong way - all sorts. I never knew people could get so emotionally-invested in local council matters!

-Peter

telstarbox

Established Member
The sort of nonsense that turns so many people off local democracy, and certain demographics (older, white males) at the worst of their stereotypes and outright condescending and aggressive towards women.
Can parish councillors get paid like borough ones do? If not then it's not surprising if working age people don't put themselves forward...

richw

Veteran Member
Simon Cassidy - Originally hailing from Cumbria, I’ve worked in the Rail Industry across the South West over the last 19 years and currently manage Operations across Devon and Cornwall.
This weekend Simon borrowed a pressure washer, a shop allowed them access to water supply, and he along with a couple of other local businessmen pressure washed and cleaned some steps, paths and an alley way through town that was looking very grubby. Photos can be found on his public Facebook, Simon Cassidy- liskeard town councillor.

The lady councillors named in your post have all carried out welfare checks throughout lockdown, delivering food and welfare packages to the vulnerable and in need. They’re all councillors who take pride and serve
I gather Simon is hands on in charity stuff within the TOC he works for too.

Typhoon

Established Member
Anyone at a loose end on Wednesday evening and wanting to be entertained might be interested in:-
Parish Councillors are summoned to attend a Meeting of Handforth Parish Council (HPC) on
Wednesday 17th February 2021 at 7:30pm
The meeting will be held virtually via Zoom meeting technology.
Members of the public can witness the meeting by video conferencing. Please email the
clerk on [email protected] no later than 11am on Wednesday 17th February
requesting a link for the meeting. The clerk will send you an email containing the joining link, password and instructions
https://handforth.org.uk/archive/2021/Agenda/Agenda-Council-Feb-2021.pdf

The fourth agenda item is
To approve and sign the minutes of the Handforth Parish Council Extra Ordinary meeting of 21st January 2021.
Front row seats are recommended!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can you imagine how many email requests they’re going to receive!?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The saga continues

A council that sparked an internet sensation when a meeting descended into chaos has again been dogged by rows.
I feel as if I’m far more tempted to join this than I really should be! :D
Have you been misbehaving? ;)
Members of the public interjected and made cat-calls throughout the meeting.

Wednesday's meeting included a number of references to the viral meeting, with members of the public interrupting proceedings with laughter and quoting catchphrases like "read the standing orders, read them and understand them".

Status
Not open for further replies.