• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hanson & Hall/Branch Line Society 'Thanet Thunderer' Class 50 railtour on 31st July

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExRes

Established Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Sounds interesting - I hope a railtour can go ahead; it would definitely be a nice thing to see. :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I wonder if it's Skegness, as I was booked on a tour with 50008 to go there last summer that obviously got cancelled- the Jolly Vacman it was called and the proposed route was;

East Midlands Parkway (PU 06.15) - Humberstone Road Up & Dn Goods - Leicester (PU 06.45) - Nuneaton (PU 07.05) - Coleshill Parkway (PU 07.22) - Lifford Curve - Birmingham New Street (PU 08.05) - Wichnor Jn - Castle Donington - Nottingham (photo stop) - Lincoln Central (SD 10.45) - Boston (SD 11.50) - Wainfleet (SD 12.15) - Skegness (SD 12.35 / PU 15.30) - Wainfleet (PU 15.45) - Boston (PU 16.10) - Sleaford (photo stop) - Lincoln Central (PU 17.35) - Retford Low Level - Worksop - Creswell - Ironville Jn - Trent South Jn - East Midlands Parkway (SD 19.25) - Leicester (SD 19.55) - Nuneaton (SD 20.15) - Coleshill Parkway (SD 20.45) - Birmingham New Street (SD 21.00).

Devonman2014

I wonder if it's Skegness, as I was booked on a tour with 50008 to go there last summer that obviously got cancelled- the Jolly Vacman it was called and the proposed route was;

East Midlands Parkway (PU 06.15) - Humberstone Road Up & Dn Goods - Leicester (PU 06.45) - Nuneaton (PU 07.05) - Coleshill Parkway (PU 07.22) - Lifford Curve - Birmingham New Street (PU 08.05) - Wichnor Jn - Castle Donington - Nottingham (photo stop) - Lincoln Central (SD 10.45) - Boston (SD 11.50) - Wainfleet (SD 12.15) - Skegness (SD 12.35 / PU 15.30) - Wainfleet (PU 15.45) - Boston (PU 16.10) - Sleaford (photo stop) - Lincoln Central (PU 17.35) - Retford Low Level - Worksop - Creswell - Ironville Jn - Trent South Jn - East Midlands Parkway (SD 19.25) - Leicester (SD 19.55) - Nuneaton (SD 20.15) - Coleshill Parkway (SD 20.45) - Birmingham New Street (SD 21.00).

Speculation on other forums are that this is the rerun with a 20 (or pair) on back for the return.

Iskra

Established Member
Speculation on other forums are that this is the rerun with a 20 (or pair) on back for the return.
I’m sceptical about that and suspect it will just be a 66 as planned last year. 20’s would massively boost the tour’s appeal however.

It's Margate with a pair of class 50's @Devonman2014

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The Thanet Thunderer

East Midlands Parkway (PU 06.30) - Leicester (PU 06.50) - Kettering (PU 07.15) - Bedford (PU 07.35) - Bletchley - Kensington Olympia - Herne Hill - Sevenoaks - Canterbury West (SD 11.30) - Broadstairs (SD 11.55) - Margate (Break 12.00 - 14.00) - Broadstairs (PU 14.05) - Minster (RM) - Deal - Dover Priory (RM) - Canterbury East (PU 15.30) - Rochester - Dartford - Bramdean Sidings (Grove Park) (RM/RR) - Hither Green - Clapham Junction - Kew East Jn - Dudding Hill Jn - Brent Curve Jn - Bedford (SD 20.30) - Kettering (SD 21.00) - Manton Jn - Syston South Jn - Leicester (SD / RM 22.00) - East Midlands Parkway (SD 22.40)

Booking via the BLS website, expected to go on sale from 13th April:
Not sure if this link will work: https://branchline.uk/fixture_set_id.php?id=289

If not: https://branchline.uk/current-fixtures.php

Iskra

Established Member
Looks an interesting tour and 50 haulage is very enjoyable. Margate a bit of a different destination too.

alexl92

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking that 50008 is different to the other preserved 50s as it only has air brakes or something like that? Does that affect the stock it can haul, and therefore the potential choice of partner loco(s)?

ExRes

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking that 50008 is different to the other preserved 50s as it only has air brakes or something like that? Does that affect the stock it can haul, and therefore the potential choice of partner loco(s)?

Looking at the pictures of 50008 on H&H facebook there certainly don't seem to be any vacuum pipes showing

Ben Bow

It is only air-braked, but for mainline duties I don't think that has any relevance - are there any rakes of vac brake only stock left on the main line - only a set at Tyseley perhaps?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
are there any rakes of vac brake only stock left on the main line - only a set at Tyseley perhaps?
...and the WCRC 'Steam Dreams' set, the link being that both that and the Tyseley set are 'early' Mark 2s and not Mark 1s.

ExRes

Established Member
Any idea on ticket prices?

Information on the Branch Line Society site currently includes

"Bookings are expected to open Tuesday 13 April subject to lockdown easing step two being confirmed by the Government"

"Further details, including fares, will be provided in due course"

So I would guess that the prices will be announced that day

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
With thanks to @ExRes:

Announced today on BLS site

** BOOKINGS OPEN TUESDAY 13 APRIL @ 1900 **

(I can’t seem to get their site to work for me so no link I’m afraid)

ExRes

Established Member
I've heard this mentioned a few times now. I don't believe 26 has worked on the mainline in preservation?

If it is to be 26 then I would imagine its going to need some serious money spent on it over the next 3 months in the way of safety systems

43 302

Established Member
If it is to be 26 then I would imagine its going to need some serious money spent on it over the next 3 months in the way of safety systems
I believe that is (and has been) ongoing! I'd recommend joining this Facebook group:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good for them, it'll be some welcome back for 026 after 30 years away from the mainline

Indeed. It was rough too at the end of its BR days. A bit of a remarkable survivor really. Always a good performer from what I remember though and it seemed to have a bit of a soft spot in the hearts of 50 enthusiasts...
I seem to remember that it was inline for a return to the mainline a few years ago but it didn’t quite happen for some reason?

Iskra

Established Member
It is confirmed that the 'friend' should be a second class 50 on the BLS website.

Now I really want to do this. Just have no mates that likes trains.
I often do tours on my own as I'm in a similar position, it's rarely an issue. As long as you're prepared to make polite conversation with strangers on your table it will be fine. You won't be the only one.

43 302

Established Member
It is confirmed that the 'friend' should be a second class 50 on the BLS website.

I often do tours on my own as I'm in a similar position, it's rarely an issue. As long as you're prepared to make polite conversation with strangers on your table it will be fine. You won't be the only one.
Yes, but which class 50 is the question!

Status
Not open for further replies.