• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hanson lost a cement wagon at Clitheroe !

Status
Not open for further replies.

high camera

Report on local facebook group with photo of a 2 axle cement wagon that appears to have rolled out of the branch line and derailed just before entering the main line. Thats all I know

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wombat

I thought for a moment, from the title, that they'd physically misplaced it.

Does that ever happen?

Darandio

Established Member
And unless you are a member of both Facebook and that group, the link is useless.

Murray J

yep sounds accurate. national rail are reporting a derailment there causing all lines to be blocked. buses are replacing trains between blackburn and clitheroe.

high camera

Yes apologies for duff link, I have just been to take a look and will upload a link to photos shortly.

By the way the main isnt blocked, the Manchester train has just done the usual switchover reversal right next to the detailment

Rockhopper

I recall a film i saw a while back that said back in the 1950's before TOPS there were many hundred of railway wagons that were "lost" up and down the country!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I recall a film i saw a while back that said back in the 1950's before TOPS there were many hundred of railway wagons that were "lost" up and down the country!

That's more "don't know where they are" than "they have run away and ended up on the running line".

It still happens, I recall something quoted here from a TOC control bulletin of some kind a while ago along the lines of "does anyone know the location of 153xxx as we seem to have lost it?"

ZL exile

Be interesting to see where it ran away fro, was in it the Cement works, or just on the branch? If the former it has gone across a well used level crossing as well.

high camera

The level crossing has gates either side which are always closed when there are no train movements. Its quite common to see lone wagons in the yard, I think they peel them off the rakes one at a time for servicing in the shed ??

I have never seen a wagon parked alone on the branch siding so Im puzzled as to where it started its bid for freedom !!

GB

Established Member
Its reported to have travelled over 1300 yards and over two level crossings. I don't know what speed it travelled but the handbrake is said to have been applied.

Re 4/4

I recall something quoted here from a TOC control bulletin of some kind a while ago along the lines of "does anyone know the location of 153xxx as we seem to have lost it?"

Rerminds me of one memorable day when I turned up in Abergavenny, a 2-car set appeared and the guard apologised for the shorter train than usual - "this is because, when we turned up this morning, it was all we could find".

Edders23

I have some photos on my computer here somewhere of a rake of similar wagons plus gronk derailed on the ketton branch I think those wagons are quite lightweight when empty

furnessvale

Established Member
I remember one scrapyard, since closed, where some of the wagons shunted in to be loaded with scrap, were themselves cut up and emerged as part of the load rather than carrying it.

Dunfanaghy Rd

I remember one scrapyard, since closed, where some of the wagons shunted in to be loaded with scrap, were themselves cut up and emerged as part of the load rather than carrying it.
On the RAIL trip on Wisconsin Central in 1999 we passed a scrapyard to the north of Chicago. Ed Burkhardt remarked that it was one customer where they had to check everything that went in and out.
Pat

pieguyrob

That would be the wagon that is now stabled outside Blackburn railway station, or was yesterday. Anyone know its number?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Yes apologies for duff link, I have just been to take a look and will upload a link to photos shortly.

By the way the main isnt blocked, the Manchester train has just done the usual switchover reversal right next to the detailment
Yes, looking at the photo the wagon is well clear of the main line, further away in fact than if it been on the rails! It must crept along at very low speed as it hasn't travelled at all past the trap point blades.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Is the low loader wagon still rotting away by the up line near Bellingham (I think)? There may even have been more than one involved and the last time I passed the site they were being absorbed into the planet again!

GB

Established Member
Yes, looking at the photo the wagon is well clear of the main line, further away in fact than if it been on the rails! It must crept along at very low speed as it hasn't travelled at all past the trap point blades.

It traveled and derailed a wagon length past the end of the trap point rails. The trap points cannot be seen in any of the photos here as they are positioned further back.

Spartacus

Established Member
On the RAIL trip on Wisconsin Central in 1999 we passed a scrapyard to the north of Chicago. Ed Burkhardt remarked that it was one customer where they had to check everything that went in and out.
Pat

Funny enough I think it was EWS who lost a loco, I think a 66, and it turned up at Shipley Crossley Evans scrapyard, admittedly in one piece!

stj

I remember my Grandfather going on about a trainload of bombs going missing during WW2.

duffield

Established Member
I remember my Grandfather going on about a trainload of bombs going missing during WW2.

That's bad, but at least they weren't *nuclear* bombs!

During the Cold War, the United States military misplaced at least eight nuclear weapons permanently. These are the stories of what the Department of Defense calls "broken arrows"—America's stray nukes, with a combined explosive force 2,200 times the Hiroshima bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.