• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Happy International Workers Day (also the time for it to be a proper holiday?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A quick shoutout for those who are working today on this day that often gets overlooked by the government.

Although there normally is a holiday on the first Monday in May, this is more to do with the maypole dancing rather than the workers.

Alongside the UK, Spain, Netherlands, and Denmark have no commemorations by the government for this day - a strange coincidence that the elected representatives have to pledge allegiance to the monarchy rather than their constituents?

With the present coronavirus outbreak and with the hard work of those providing essential services, is now the time for the UK to make this day a proper holiday instead of the present first Monday in May?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Alongside the UK, Spain, Netherlands, and Denmark have no commemorations by the government for this day - a strange coincidence that the elected representatives have to pledge allegiance to the monarchy rather than their constituents?

What commemorations are held in other countries?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A quick shoutout for those who are working today on this day that often gets overlooked by the government.

Although there normally is a holiday on the first Monday in May, this is more to do with the maypole dancing rather than the workers.

With the present coronavirus outbreak and with the hard work of those providing essential services, is now the time for the UK to make this day a proper holiday instead of the present first Monday in May?
I've never been to Spain, but I believe it's been celebrated there for a long time, with the exception of when Franco held power and abolished it by decree, as it was treated as a day of celebration for the worker. I'm sure it was re-established when Spain eventually saw sense and got rid of the despot and helped to ensure his legacy was diminished.

Having been on holiday in Brittany on 1st May on a couple of occasions, I would definitely state that Bretons at least throw themselves in it with gusto, and are happy to share the occasion with outsiders.

najaB

Veteran Member
I actually prefer the first Monday in May as it guarantees a long weekend for the Monday to Friday worker (which is most people, I would think), vs May 1st which can rather uselessly fall on a Tuesday or Thursday.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I took a day's leave anyway - most of my European team are on holiday, as are half in Asia-Pacific. Even though we're locked down the prospect of two four-day weeks appealed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd be in favour of more bank holidays switching to Friday rather than Monday.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
This year there are as many bank holidays on Fridays as there are on Mondays if you do the year very slightly out of sync to include 01 January 2021.

Good Friday
VE Day
Christmas Day
New Year's Day

Versus

Easter Monday
Late-May Bank Holiday (is that Spring Bank?)
Late-August Bank Holiday
28th of December in lieu of Boxing Day

Status
Not open for further replies.