• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Happy train staff, espically EMT staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

M7R

We live in Attenborough, which is just outside Nottingham on the MML, and next door to the big nature reserve which the MML runs along the edge of, I regularly take my little lad who is nearly 2 out for trips into town on the train, or down the nature reserve to see the trains and the ducks.. And it always brings a smile to my face when my little lad is waving to the train as it goes past and the driver waves back, and it really makes his day if he gets a little toot! So I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all the drivers who have given him a wave over the summer, it's mostly been EMT but there has been the odd freight inc a driver from Corlas Rail who was very enthusiastic in waving and little toot! Plus a couple of XC drivers, and like wise the EMT guards are always jolly and say hello when my little one is sooo exited about being on the train!

So I thankyou guys and gels of the MML for making our days out that much more fun! (There's too much moaning on here so I thought a happy post may make a change)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
We live in Attenborough, which is just outside Nottingham on the MML, and next door to the big nature reserve which the MML runs along the edge of, I regularly take my little lad who is nearly 2 out for trips into town on the train, or down the nature reserve to see the trains and the ducks.. And it always brings a smile to my face when my little lad is waving to the train as it goes past and the driver waves back, and it really makes his day if he gets a little toot! So I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all the drivers who have given him a wave over the summer, it's mostly been EMT but there has been the odd freight inc a driver from Corlas Rail who was very enthusiastic in waving and little toot! Plus a couple of XC drivers, and like wise the EMT guards are always jolly and say hello when my little one is sooo exited about being on the train!

So I thankyou guys and gels of the MML for making our days out that much more fun! (There's too much moaning on here so I thought a happy post may make a change)
Quite right! Whenever I travel the vast majority of rail staff are cheery and sociable, in total contrast to a fair proportion of the great travelling public.

High Dyke

Established Member
Quite right! Whenever I travel the vast majority of rail staff are cheery and sociable, in total contrast to a fair proportion of the great travelling public.
We can all get in our own little isolated bubble at times, but yes some travelling public are right misery guts... Despite the problems on the 'Castle Line' (Nottingham - Lincoln) yesterday morning i'd like to hope my announcements did at least brighten their day somewhat.

And i don't even work for EMT.

Bodiddly

Quite right, there is far too much moaning on this forum! I would like to add my tuppence worth and give a big thanks to the FGW train managers who are absolutely brilliant.

Flamingo

Established Member
Quite right, there is far too much moaning on this forum! I would like to add my tuppence worth and give a big thanks to the FGW train managers who are absolutely brilliant.

You're very welcome :lol:

168lover

There is this one Chiltern Railways driver who is the nicest person you'll ever meet. He is always up for a chat and always makes my day. If you are this driver thanks from the Thorpe House Boy with glasses!:D

Trainfan344

Established Member
I think the majority of Greater Anglia guards deserve a mention, and the platform staff at norwich always seem friendly and up for a quick chat!

Also, there's the singing american? train guard on XC!

CarltonA

Chiltern have got a driver whom I have nicknamed "Driver Speaking" as this is what he starts and sometimes finishes his anouncements with. A cheery sounding chap indeed though sometimes rather overenthusiastic in telling us about bus connections to various places. ;)

andrewkeith5

Chiltern have got a driver whom I have nicknamed "Driver Speaking" as this is what he starts and sometimes finishes his anouncements with. A cheery sounding chap indeed though sometimes rather overenthusiastic in telling us about bus connections to various places. ;)

I know his announcements well! Very useful when your media player battery has run out.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Big plus up for Swansea based GW on board staff - always friendly and cheerfull - depsite some of their 4am book on's.

M7R

It's great to see others have good experiences too!

Just out for a walk before dinner and Colas Class 56 has trundled through Attenborough while we was on the station, and Little Billy got a wave from the driver, one very happy little boy!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The driver of the 17:20 from Nottingham to Matlock was very cheery today! We got off at Attenborough and while waiting on the platform for the train to leave as normal (as you can't cross the road untill the train has passed and the barriers raised) we had very cheery good bye, a small toot and a wave!

I wonder if any of the TOC or FOC staff mentioned have read this post?

Minilad

Established Member
I wonder if any of the TOC or FOC staff mentioned have read this post?

I am a regular driver on this route so you may well have had me wave at you in the past. I always try to wave back when little uns (and not so little uns) give a cheery wave :D

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I always try to give a cheery wave from the back cab if I see people waving.

These sorts of things can help you feel a lot better on a bad day :)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
It is nice too hear of cheery rail staff. I must admit the staff who walk along the platform at my local terminus station in SWTLand when changing ends always smile and say good morning which is nice and I always reply to them.

I agree too about the positive comments about the staff on Chiltern Trains, when I travelled with then a few months ago they too were very polite and smartly dressed, nice suits and slacks/jumpers.

I have just come back from Germany, (Just avoiding the strikes there) and all of the staff are very pleasant and look so smart, as they do in Switzerland & The Netherlands.

Last edited:

M7R

Been out and about with my little lad again over the last week and he has been soooo happy!! Lots of waves, a couple of toots on the horn from drives! (I know it's not meant to be done but they don't give it the full beans and it makes his day, plus we don't live in a massively urban area). These have been from the DBS class 60 drivers we have seen on the tanker trains, a couple of XC drivers and the EMT local and HST drivers we have seen over the last few months or so, This afternoon we took the 16:25 train to Matlock back from Beeston to Attenborough, one stop, all of about 5 mins ride but it makes my little lads day. Today we had a guard who was extra cheery and was chatting to my little lad when we got on, plus he got to see him do the door controls as he was dispatching from our door, (my little one has already cottoned on to the guard 2 buzz, driver reply 2 buzz and then we go), and when arriving at Attenbourgh my little one was saying bye to the guard, then the passengers and got a huge wave and couple of quick toots when we stood on the platform to watch the train depart. He was chatting about it all the way home!

So once again I would like to thank you kind souls to take a small moment to wave, toot and chat to the little ones, it really does bring a smile to my face and warm my heart seeing him so happy (he is only 2 so no doubt I have many years to come of trip to the train station, now the weathers warmer he is always asking to go see the trains)

Status
Not open for further replies.