• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Happy Valley"

Status
Not open for further replies.

euryalus

Has anyone been watching Sarah Lancashire in the ironically-named TV series "Happy" Valley, which appeared to have been filmed in and around the Calder Valley. The final episode featured some scenes shot at Sowerby Bridge (?) station, with a class 66 in the platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I saw it, the murderous police chief was running away from her onto the tracks.
I thought it odd that a train like that was stationary at the platform.
Happy Valley is good except for the bad language.

EM2

Established Member
If it was weekend engineering, why were those passengers waiting for something?
The real reason the train was there was because there was an engineering possession (hence why it was safe for the detective and sergeant to run up the tracks).
For the story, the station was open and there happened to be an engineering train in the station (hence why the sergeant was told not to follow).

railnerd

Hi.
Yeah... what the above post said!

Other to add that non 'anoraks' like us watching the programme would just assume those 2 engineering trains were run of the mill everyday trains. I wonder how much NR got paid for that? You can guarantee that behind the cameras there was about 500 hi visi people watching every move!!!

Still, it makes a change from another heritage single line railway being used and someone trying to avoid a Cravens unit!

Last edited:

mm333

From http://sarahlancashire2.tumblr.com/post/140921164064/spoilers-from-the-last-happy-valley-2-episode

tumblr_o3xuo7QfOC1tay4vuo1_1280.jpg

So the bit of them running down the track wasn't filmed in Sowerby Bridge. The actual line through Sowerby is on a viaduct and doesn't have a field next to it at the same level the photo does.

You see Sarah Lancashire's character running down the station platform, then it cuts to her standing in front of a 'passengers must not cross the line' sign while the DI runs down the track - which is straight (it's curved through Sowerby). They then veer off the track and it cuts to the actual trackside area on the viaduct where the DI then falls on to Holmes Road.

So I wonder where the filming took place?

Edit: Turns out the picture originally came from Kevin Doyle's (DS Wadsworth) Instagram account

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Murder, police-corruption, violent crime.

The locals seem to think "Happy Valley" is the best thing to have happened to Sowerby Bridge, Halifax and the Calder Valley in years.

If I had not been born there, it would make me want to avoid it like the plague.

AndrewE

Established Member

The locals seem to think "Happy Valley" is the best thing to have happened to Sowerby Bridge, Halifax and the Calder Valley in years.

If I had not been born there, it would make me want to avoid it like the plague.

They may be right: in a totally unrelated field I've been amazed to (re)discover that there's no such thing as bad publicity...

Last edited:

Bayum

Established Member
I had a not so fortunate conversation with my class before Easter about how it was inappropriate for them to discuss the happenings of 'Happy' Valley' in my classroom. Fair enough at home, but not in my earshot.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Yes, I keep telling my folks how nice and laid back Hebden is.

But then again, they're devout followers of Midsummer Murders and its never put them off the Chilterns, so I suppose its no damage done !

LowLevel

Established Member
A good question! Formally the village is currently Quorndon but it's always been called Quorn to the extent that the station is 'Quorn and Woodhouse', Woodhouse being the neighbouring village.

Status
Not open for further replies.