• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harpenden to Elstree and Borehamwood Day Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmith300

Is a ticket from Harpenden to Elstree and Borehamwood with a Travelcard actually a Harpenden to London Zones 1-6 ticket?

Am I right in thinking that since it is a 1 day season ticket there is no requirement for the train to stop at Elstree and Borehamwood?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edvid

Established Member
A One Day Travelcard from Harpenden indeed covers Zones 1-6, so your train does not have to call at E&B.

Unless you have split it - HPD-ELS and then a travelcard from zone 6...that would necessitate the need for a train to stop at ELS.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is a ticket from Harpenden to Elstree and Borehamwood with a Travelcard actually a Harpenden to London Zones 1-6 ticket?

Am I right in thinking that since it is a 1 day season ticket there is no requirement for the train to stop at Elstree and Borehamwood?
Have you bought 2 separate tickets or 1 ticket?

If you have bought an inclusive Travelcard (known as an out-boundary Travelcard) from Harpenden, then of course the train does not need to call anywhere.

If you have bought two separate tickets, splitting at Elstree & Borehamwood, then the train does need to call at Elstree & Borehamwood. A One Day Travelcard is not a Season nor a leisure pass valid for 3 days or more, so if you split tickets and want to avoid calling at any stations, you'd need to buy a 'Zonal' ticket to Boundary Zone 6 instead.

trevmonk

I thought you could only buy a zonal ticket as an extension to an existing ticket, not as the first hop of the journey?

i.e. travelling from London a zone 1-6 Travelcard could be extended with a zone 6 boundary to Harpenden ticket. But you can't travel from Harpenden starting with a ticket to boundary of Zone 6 and then add a Travelcard.

It used to be possible to save £2 from St Albans by splitting a cheap day return to Elstree with a Travelcard (although it meant you had to use a stopping train). FCC latched on that fact and increased the St Albans to Elstree leg by 25%.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I thought you could only buy a zonal ticket as an extension to an existing ticket, not as the first hop of the journey?....

That is true for 'Boundary Zone fares', they can only be sold as an extension of an existing Travelcard, however, if buying the two together it is little more than a technicality.

Status
Not open for further replies.