• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harry Potter fans fuming after oncoming train blocks Hogwarts Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My reaction to the film clip was to laugh. Not sure what that says about me as a person :D

me to! The one with Flying Scotsman is even better!

I thought the whole point of the hog warts express is that it is magically shielded from the eyes of “muggles”. So they got an authentic experience.

yep - that is the winner. Close thread. No further comment required

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnMcL7

I feel I'm missing something here, what is the appeal of this engine to Harry Potter fans since its dark colour scheme looks nothing like the Hogwart's express?

colchesterken

If I had a hat I would take it off to the driver of Tangmere a couple of years ago, waiting for it to come out of the sand siding at Marks Tey I was on the down platform.
A Clacton came in and stopped completely blocking the view. He saw what was happening and shut off power as it was just starting it effectively stopped
When the Clacton left we has the pleasure of a slippery start, there was much waving and hooting
Good fella!

kristiang85

Established Member
That's crazy crowding. Considering how militant Scotland is on social distancing right now, I'm amazed this was allowed! Madness.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yeah, "before 1830" means 1829 at the latest, when train building in Crewe wouldn't start for 11 more years.

Well exactly, are they trying to say that wizards invented trains but only allowed us humble Muggles the knowledge in such piecemeal fashion that we were about 100 years behind technology wise?

That's crazy crowding. Considering how militant Scotland is on social distancing right now, I'm amazed this was allowed! Madness.

I suspect it wasn't, but what can staff do in such cases anyway?

pdeaves

Established Member
I suspect the headline "Harry Potter fans fuming" really means "Harry Potter fans slightly disappointed". Why the extreme, over the top wording? I know, I know, it's how news 'papers' do things nowadays.

DB

I must be missing something, but how does this relate to Harry Potter? It's not the loco used in the filming (so far as I'm aware that one is out of ticket at the moment and on static display).

PeterC

Established Member
The tone of the headline confused me for a minute, it made it sound as if this was an "official" viewing not just a train happening to drive past.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
From what I understand ( based on my expert consultants advice) the train the cognoscenti will know as the Jacobite has become, to many normals, "the Harry Potter train" and I can therefore only assume that by extension any steam train traversing the line known to the train tifosi here as the "West Highland Line" ( but known to many now as "the Harry Potter Line") must, logically, become the "Harry Potter Train".

I trust this will be clear to all those confused by the motive power muggles in the real world.

matchmaker

Established Member
From what I understand ( based on my expert consultants advice) the train the cognoscenti will know as the Jacobite has become, to many normals, "the Harry Potter train" and I can therefore only assume that by extension any steam train traversing the line known to the train tifosi here as the "West Highland Line" ( but known to many now as "the Harry Potter Line") must, logically, become the "Harry Potter Train".

I trust this will be clear to all those confused by the motive power muggles in the real world.

<Pedant alert> Strictly speaking, the Fort William to Mallaig line is the "Mallaig Extension Railway"!

bramling

Veteran Member
My reaction to the film clip was to laugh. Not sure what that says about me as a person :D

It’s one of those little life lessons that we all experience from time to time.

Seriously, surely people might foresee that this could happen, and choose a vantage point where the possibility of being obscured doesn’t exist?

On that basis I see nothing wrong with your reaction!

DB

Seriously, surely people might foresee that this could happen, and choose a vantage point where the possibility of being obscured doesn’t exist?

You have a higher opinion of the general population's common sense than I do...

Trackman

Established Member
I think in future I wouldn't be letting people on the platform, it's an accident waiting to happen.
I'd also run a Q train just before it so BTP can nab trespassers.

Status
Not open for further replies.