• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harry Potter fans fuming after oncoming train blocks Hogwarts Express

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

Much simpler solution: only allow those with tickets to travel onto the platforms.

Who's going to enforce this at all the unstaffed stations along the route?

And it would probably just lead to idiots going onto the track elsewhere.

Darandio

Established Member
Another simple solution would be for the local newspapers to not whip up a frenzy by making false claims about what type of train is running.

Trogladyte

I’m sure the trainspotter virgins will be up in arms at the Scotrail driver just doing his job.

philthetube

Established Member
If the crowds continue to create safety hazards, WCR might find getting paths more difficult in the future.
I don't think that will be an issue in this case, as it runs daily, and there is a need to get it south occasionally, there is a lot of revenue to be lost by not providing these paths.

However if needed there are ways to dissuade the crowds, either by running it at unsocial times or by booking a few paths then the press would not know when to expect it.

james_the_xv

The Scottish local tabloid media on the day and before this stock move were all advertising it as 'HARRY POTTER TRAIN TO TRAVEL THROUGH SCOTLAND' and then listed every station and the time it was scheduled to pass.

No one directly dubs this the 'Harry Potter Train' apart from the media who get their ad revenues through clicks on their articles (part of the reason I use an adblocker :D :D). But the fact the local media made a massive thing of it on the day and the day before definitely contributed to the crowds, must have been a slow news day.

I'd also run a Q train just before it so BTP can nab trespassers.

For the unacquainted among us, what's a Q train?

AM9

Veteran Member
Who's going to enforce this at all the unstaffed stations along the route?
It would be RPOs or other authorised staff. As for the cost? The railway is reponsible for safety on its premises. What price would a claim against it cost?

And it would probably just lead to idiots going onto the track elsewhere.
Then if it's a big enough safety issue the police (BTP on a Q train) would be involved.

Established Member
It would be RPOs or other authorised staff. As for the cost? The railway is reponsible for safety on its premises. What price would a claim against it cost?

Then if it's a big enough safety issue the police (BTP on a Q train) would be involved.
Or even easier and cheaper, ban the specials from the network. This is what it will come to eventually.

silverfoxcc

The night before the actual movement change the path time to 03.00 and stick it on RTT later It has been done before wih some special steam movements Bitterns 100mph on the GW springs to mind

hst43102

pieguyrob

Much simpler solution: only allow those with tickets to travel onto the platforms.

At Crewe and Leeds, you can still buy platform tickets. They cost 10p. (I know it's kind of irrelevant to this discussion, but, I'm merely highlighting the point that at some stations a platform ticket can be purchased.)

AM9

Veteran Member
At Crewe and Leeds, you can still buy platform tickets. They cost 10p. (I know it's kind of irrelevant to this discussion, but, I'm merely highlighting the point that at some stations a platform ticket can be purchased.)
I would imagine that platform tickets can be withdrawn from sale if there is a hazard to safety. Perhaps somebody here knows whether unrestricted issue is an obligation on the TOC.

awsnews

One of the Black 5s came back from Jacobite duties https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U52114/2020-10-25/detailed From reading reports most stations it past had very few if any people seeing it. This move wasn't in the local press like the previous move was.
Although there was no presence at Garelochhead for this move the BTP were at Helensburgh Upper. Not the most onerous of crowd control duties, 2 police officers for 4 people who came along for a look!

Bedpan

Established Member
But presumably BTP attended Helensburgh Upper due to the fact that the platform appears to have been crammed to the gills a month earlier - see the photo linked to post #4. I wonder if they feared that the word might have got around again.

paul1609

Established Member
Although there was no presence at Garelochhead for this move the BTP were at Helensburgh Upper. Not the most onerous of crowd control duties, 2 police officers for 4 people who came along for a look!
Possibly because Garelochead is up a track from a relatively small village, wheras Helensburgh Upper is in the middle of a residential area on a main A road and about 15 mins walk from Helensburgh Central which has a 2 TPH service from most of the central belt?

stuu

Established Member
Strictly, a path that exists in case it is needed (not used every day). Trains full of police often run (or ran) in such paths; the term 'Q train' is, to some people, synonymous with a unit full of coppers.
Q ships were merchant ships which had hiddens guns fitted during WW2, German subs would surface to fire torpedoes, at which point the guns would be uncovered and open fire... The same idea was used to deal with vandalism such as throwing stones at trains, BR started running normal looking trains but as you say were full of coppers who would jump out and catch the miscreants, and the name Q trains was coined, linking back to WW2

Gloster

Established Member
Q ships were merchant ships which had hiddens guns fitted during WW2, German subs would surface to fire torpedoes, at which point the guns would be uncovered and open fire... The same idea was used to deal with vandalism such as throwing stones at trains, BR started running normal looking trains but as you say were full of coppers who would jump out and catch the miscreants, and the name Q trains was coined, linking back to WW2

Although there were some Q-ships in World War II, they were mainly in World War I.

Status
Not open for further replies.