• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hartlepool-Scarborough Mid 1970s...loco??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooliemag

Hi everybody,when I was much younger ( Im thinking I was around 7-8 ) I remember going on a family holiday to Scarborough. We boarded the train at Hartlepool and I have a memory of a huge loud loco hauling the train. I always thought it was a Deltic but on giving it more thought, I now believe that the Deltic is just wishful thinking lol :(
Im pretty sure we swapped engines at York but I know the train went straight through to Scarborough......So my question is, Can anyone help identify what the locos would have been???

I wasn`t sure where to post this so Mods please move if it should be posted elsewhere :)

Kind Regards

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
I had a quick glance at the '74/'75 timetable and there is a Saturdays only through service along the Durham coast to Scarborough and Filey holiday camp. As for the traction, well it could have been anything available really but my guess would be a 31 or perhaps a 47.

Established Member
I'd guess that the service mentioned would have started at Newcastle, so no doubt the motive power would have come from Gateshead MPD - so a 37 or 47 could be a good guess.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Or it might have been a 40, 45 or 46. A Deltic is less likely, but not impossible. Loco might have run round at York, but there could have been a loco change here.

34D

Established Member
I had a quick glance at the '74/'75 timetable and there is a Saturdays only through service along the Durham coast to Scarborough and Filey holiday camp. As for the traction, well it could have been anything available really but my guess would be a 31 or perhaps a 47.

Nowadays, it seems very strange that such a train would be allowed to block either of the two platforms that serve the scarborough lines (present day plats 3 and 5, different numbers back then) for 10 mins while a loco was ran round/swapped.

There was a Glasgow-Scarborough HST that ran into the 90s I understand.

4SRKT

Established Member
Nowadays, it seems very strange that such a train would be allowed to block either of the two platforms that serve the scarborough lines (present day plats 3 and 5, different numbers back then) for 10 mins while a loco was ran round/swapped.

There was a Glasgow-Scarborough HST that ran into the 90s I understand.

There were of course a less frequent service on all lines operating then, not just at York, but everywhere. Demand for trains between York and Scarborough was so high that most trains from the north to Scarborough on summer Saturdays (themselves already full) where advertised non-stop from Darlington to Scarborough and ran round or changed locos in the centre roads at York. The epic Glasgow Scarborough was one of these. It ran as a portion from Queen Street hauled by a 26 to Edinburgh, where it was attached to a portion starting there (platforms at Queen St not long enough I guess, plus all the Edinburgh passengers could board at leisure), and a class 40 took the combined train on to the centre roads at York. From York a pair of 20s took the train on to Scarborough. This was the 'classic' line up for this train, but in some timetables the 40 ran round, or a different 40 took it on to Scarboro. In its last year before becoming an HST it was a 47/0 :(

pooliemag

Thank you everyone for the replies :) I`m now thinking myself that it was a class 40 as it was the distinctive front end that had me thinking it was a Deltic (although i do appreciate that the 37, 45 etc were very similar). I just remember thinking it was a beast :D

caliwag

I think a beast would more likely be a 45 or 46...they did look more powerful than a 40 to my mind. And as has been mentioned the changing ends, at York, happened in the middle roads between the now platforms 3 and 5.

pooliemag

I think a beast would more likely be a 45 or 46...they did look more powerful than a 40 to my mind. And as has been mentioned the changing ends, at York, happened in the middle roads between the now platforms 3 and 5.

whilst I agree that the 45-46 look more powerful now....back then I was 8yrs old and had probably only been on a train as far as Middlesborough, perhaps Redcar :D To see that Loco haul in our "Holiday train" was a huge surprise because I had only seen locos hauling coal in the local area :) I remember thinking we were on a "posh" train because it had a loco lol.....the things we think when we were kids eh? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.