• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hartlepool to have a platform reinstated as funding now confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Hartlepool to get its second platform back

A major redevelopment of Hartlepool Station is on track after securing £12m of government funding.
The station's redundant second platform will be brought back into use and a new footbridge and lifts installed.
Work is due to begin later this year with the new platform to be open for when the Tall Ships regatta is held in the town in June 2023.
Hartlepool Council said it was the busiest single platform station in the UK with 650,000 passengers a year.
Council leader Shane Moore said the redevelopment would "make our railway station fit for the 21st Century".
He said having the second platform open would "hugely benefit local people and businesses" as well as a high number of expected visitors during the Tall Ships event.
Tees Valley mayor Ben Houchen said: "For as long as I can remember, people in Hartlepool have been crying out for the second platform to be brought back into to use.
"I'm delighted that we can now make this a reality."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hartlepool to get its second platform back

From the linked article:
“Hartlepool Council said it was the busiest single platform station in the UK with 650,000 passengers a year.”
Really? I guess no one checked for any facts. But perhaps they really meant busiest in the county :D

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was wondering if that was still the case. Have not been there for many years, but it looks from the plan that the bay platform is being retained!!
Indeed it is. It's only used by a couple of trains on Sunday (the remaining Darlington - Hartlepool services) and I think occasionally during disruption so, to be fair, it is easy to forget it exists but it is still there damn it! :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Will they have to build “behind the wall” on the disused platform to provide lifts and stairs? It’s seems shown in the artists impression as all within the platform footprint, but won’t a lift and stairs right at one end be a bit of a pinch point?

geoffk

Established Member
I thought the curvature through Hartlepool station dictated the type of stock which could be used. The current platform cannot take a class 150 with its 1/3 - 2/3 door positions as the step from the middle set of doors to the platform would be too great, so only 156s and 158s can be used. Would the reverse situation not apply on the reopened platform? I must have read this somewhere and was surprised as surely there are other Northern stations with similar curved platforms - Shipley, Accrington or Earlestown for example.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought the curvature through Hartlepool station dictated the type of stock which could be used. The current platform cannot take a class 150 with its 1/3 - 2/3 door positions as the step from the middle set of doors to the platform would be too great, so only 156s and 158s can be used. Would the reverse situation not apply on the reopened platform? I must have read this somewhere and was surprised as surely there are other Northern stations with similar curved platforms - Shipley, Accrington or Earlestown for example.
That sounds like an urban legend...

Spartacus

Established Member
I was wondering if that was still the case. Have not been there for many years, but it looks from the plan that the bay platform is being retained!!

It's seen use today. Rather silly him not realising the station already has two platforms.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I thought I'd read, maybe on this Forum, that 150s were banned from the Durham Coast line and that Hartlepool platform curvature was one of the reasons.
They are shown as cleared through Hartlepool in the public LNER sectional appendix, but not between Sunderland South Jn and Boldon East. So the latter would keep them off the Durham Coast‘s normal service patterns.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
From the linked article:
“Hartlepool Council said it was the busiest single platform station in the UK with 650,000 passengers a year.”
Really? I guess no one checked for any facts. But perhaps they really meant busiest in the county :D

Even if it was true that Hartlepool only had a single platform it still wouldn’t be the busiest single platform staton in the UK, Windsor & Eton Central definitely is a single platform station and has over double that usage at 1.3m, it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others too

steamybrian

Established Member
Even if it was true that Hartlepool only had a single platform it still wouldn’t be the busiest single platform staton in the UK, Windsor & Eton Central definitely is a single platform station and has over double that usage at 1.3m, it wouldn’t surprise me if there are others too
Chafford Hundred station had 2.8 million passengers per annum pre- covid.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This thread was just split out today from the existing discussion on the general subject of busiest single platform, and as @steamybrian just mentioned Chafford Hundred has traditionally been top of the list:
(Although it (Chafford) was mentioned early on in that thread there were many other lower proposals, but I don’t think Hartlepool was accepted as it has 2 platforms.)

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes to be clear the claim is clearly false as Hartlepool has two platforms. Anyone wishing to discuss the busiest stations with only one actual platform should use the existing thread that has just been linked. Thanks :)

wilbers

I had a day trip to Hartlepool last year (first time I'd been there), and never even noticed it had a second platform - must be well hidden when coming from the north side.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I had a day trip to Hartlepool last year (first time I'd been there), and never even noticed it had a second platform - must be well hidden when coming from the north side.
Yeah it's a south facing bay which if you don't go wandering down the southern end of Platform 2 you'll easily miss.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I thought the curvature through Hartlepool station dictated the type of stock which could be used. The current platform cannot take a class 150 with its 1/3 - 2/3 door positions as the step from the middle set of doors to the platform would be too great

I'm not 100% but I think it was "150s are banned but 950s are allowed" (which seemed surprising to me, but sometimes it's more a case of "nobody ever did the paperwork because there was no prospect of the stock running on that line, so nobody wasted time getting clearance")

(though I take @swt_passenger 's point that the problematic section of line is further north on the same route, rather than Hartlepool)

Llandudno

Established Member
What is the point in creating an additional platform at Hartlepool if they won’t increase the frequency of trains?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What is the point in creating an additional platform at Hartlepool if they won’t increase the frequency of trains?
Whilst it's not the worst constraint out there (the intensive Metro service north of Sunderland is much more of an issue), reinstating the platform eliminates the conflict between trains to & from Newcastle, hence increasing reliability and reducing knock-on delays.

I wouldn't rule out an increase in frequency in the future.

Pinza-C55

It's an example of the short sightedness of the various authorities that the canopy over the disused platform was allowed to rot away devoid of its glass for many years and then demolished but now they will have to fork out for some kind of replacement which probably won't be as good quality.

Regarding an earlier post I didn't know there was still a Hartlepool - Darlington service ? They used to run about every hour connecting with the Newcastle - Middlesbrough trains.

Harvester

Established Member
I can remember coming into Hartlepool station, on many occasions from the south on pacers. The noise from their wheel flanges was piercing when negotiating the tight south to west curve approaching the station.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Regarding an earlier post I didn't know there was still a Hartlepool - Darlington service ? They used to run about every hour connecting with the Newcastle - Middlesbrough trains.
Sunday only two each way. Connects with trains going both ways up and down the coast. Though I think that might be a happy accident more than anything!

Well in pre-Covid times there was the intention to run two train per hour each way. I think it might actually have fun for a few months between December 2019 and March 2020. All gone quiet on reinstating it though which is a crying shame.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@ainsworth74 : Watch out: High Viz Houchen is about. ( He is lying again: Hartlepooh has two platfoms. )

I am against anything to do with Hartlepooh but this platform needs repairing and brining back in to use if only to allow people to leave more quickly, more often.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@ainsworth74 : Watch out: High Viz Houchen is about. ( He is lying again: Hartlepooh has two platfoms. )
Aye, it's annoying though. I dislike the fella and his party but its hard to sniff at the cash they're willing to chuck at trying to keep us sweet. Some might call it pork barrel politics seeing as presumably as soon as we stop voting "the right way" the taps will miraculous turn off (see the London Mayoralty and TfLs problems getting a proper funding settlement for instance)...

Probably going far off topic though if we go much further down that rabbit hole!!!
I am against anything to do with Hartlepooh but this platform needs repairing and brining back in to use if only to allow people to leave more quickly, more often.
Not an argument I've seen deployed in favour locally but one that I'd struggle to disagree with :lol:

brad465

Established Member
I suspect politics has influenced this project somewhat; the constituency recently changed hands, so approving this relatively small improvement project would provide evidence the governing party are delivering. Really wider improvements are also needed on top.

Spartacus

Established Member

I don't know if it's the case here or not, but a little limitation like that at Hartlepool can sometimes end up driving the whole timetable, with everything else for miles around having to fit around that one through platform working. Having more flexibility in the timetable can mean improvements elsewhere, perhaps for Hartlepool trains, perhaps for others.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It's an example of the short sightedness of the various authorities that the canopy over the disused platform was allowed to rot away devoid of its glass for many years and then demolished but now they will have to fork out for some kind of replacement which probably won't be as good quality.

There is still the Hartlepool - Darlington that runs a couple of journeys on Sundays, which fulfills the legal requirement for passenger trains calling at Teesside Airport station.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Aye, it's annoying though. I dislike the fella and his party but its hard to sniff at the cash they're willing to chuck at trying to keep us sweet. Some might call it pork barrel politics seeing as presumably as soon as we stop voting "the right way" the taps will miraculous turn off (see the London Mayoralty and TfLs problems getting a proper funding settlement for instance)...

Probably going far off topic though if we go much further down that rabbit hole!!!
Agreed - complete pork barrelling. Labour didn't make such a song and dance about PR friendly projects and have allowed a narrative to develop that they didn't invest in north east areas. They did, just differently.

Not an argument I've seen deployed in favour locally but one that I'd struggle to disagree with
I have had some bad experiences in Poohls over the years.

I suspect politics has influenced this project somewhat; the constituency recently changed hands, so approving this relatively small improvement project would provide evidence the governing party are delivering. Really wider improvements are also needed on top.
It is a PR grabbing reward for the simian stranglers voting in a Tory MP. Same as the treasury jobs moving to Darlo. It does nothing to address the systemic problems 12 years of Tory rule/austerity have brought in these areas.

Class 170101

Established Member
Does the crossover at the Sunderland end of Hartlepool station get removed or does that stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.