• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harwich Int to Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

orpine

I brought a "Rail and sail" (dutch flyer, one-way from the Netherlands), but due to various technical problems with the website, when I actually brought the ticket it turns out to only be a Sail; No Rail! :(
I just discovered this checking in to the ship when they didn't give me the rail tickets.

Does anyone have any suggestions for splitting a ticket from Harwich International to Peterborough tomorrow (Saturday) morning? The £31 Anytime seems steep, especially when the rail portion was only mean to add €5-10 to my sail. :-/

I may also be taking the train from Peterborough to London too later in the day, but there don't seem to be any suitable railcards for the area.

Being on a slow satellite connection I'm find it hard to research things! :-/

Thoughts welcome. Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lemonic

You can get an Advance ticket for £17.50 if you book by midnight tonight.

Harwich International 8:33 - Peterborough 11:39

(Harwich Int 8:33 - Manningtree 8:50
Manningtree 9:31 - Ipswich 9:43
Ipswich 9:58 - Peterborough 11:39)

Search on the Greater Anglia website, then click on 'Results are based on end-to-end tickets for the fastest available trains. Click here to check if slower routes with cheaper tickets are available. '

Then select: Advance Single - Ap Grt Ang Only - £17.50

The fare doesn't display by default as it tries to put you on an unreservable train from Manningtree to Ipswich but using this method puts you on a different train from Manningtree to Ipswich which has reservations, although the overall journey time is unchanged.

Veteran Member
If you can find a way to book it from the ship, an Advance can be issued up to 2359 BST.

ISTR the ship has an area with a small number of public Internet terminals.

Two minds with ut a single thought...

Last edited:

orpine

Thanks for the suggestions. The advances specified aren't showing up on the NR website. I guess they're Greater Anglia specific.
I'm also a little confused why some routes cost £31 anytime and others are £45 offpeak. Routing rules making things needlessly painful as usual?

Veteran Member
Thanks for the suggestions. The advances specified aren't showing up on the NR website. I guess they're Greater Anglia specific.
I'm also a little confused why some routes cost £31 anytime and others are £45 offpeak. Routing rules making things needlessly painful as usual?

Via London and not?

kieron

Established Member
The technique lemonic suggested is specific to Trainline-powered planners, rather than Greater Anglia itself. The NR site has something for the same purpose, but it's not identical.

Looking at tomorrow, Greater Anglia can find £8 Harwich-Peterborough advance tickets (changing at Manningtree and Ipswich), but NR doesn't find it with the equivalent request. It does offer some if I select trains avoiding Colchester, and with half an hour extra transfer time, but I have no idea how likely anyone is to find that out.

lemonic

The situation occurs because there are 3 possible train connections between Manningtree and Ipswich which connect between the same trains from Harwich to Manningtree and Ipswich to Peterborough.

2 of those 3 trains are reservable which means you can get an Advance ticket for the through journey; the other is not which means you cannot get an Advance ticket for the through journey if that train is selected.

It seems that different journey planners have different ways of selecting which train it offers you between Manningtree and Ipswich.

£12 for an Advance seems like a reasonable price, assuming you were making a return journey, as the flexible Off Peak Return is £36. Saturday morning trains from London to Norwich (which is what the price is based on) shouldn't be too busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.