• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harzer Schmalspurbahn in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evening All,

In October, 2003, I went on a trip to the HSB where I took miles of video tape footage. I'm now in the process of digitalising this footage and breaking it down into bite-sized instalments; the first part is now on my new YouTube channel and if you'd like to have a look, it's here:

Hope it's of interest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Evening All,

The second part of my Harzer Schmalspurbahnen video is now on YouTube. If anyone would like to see it, this is the link:

Hope it's of interest.

eMeS

Thanks for posting. I was stationed around 40 miles from the Harz when doing National Service 1958-9, and whilst we visited the area one afternoon, the east side was very strictly closed to us. It's only recently that I've learnt a little about the area, its history and its trains from TV.

Thanks for posting. I was stationed around 40 miles from the Harz when doing National Service 1958-9, and whilst we visited the area one afternoon, the east side was very strictly closed to us. It's only recently that I've learnt a little about the area, its history and its trains from TV.

I first went there in 1971, so that was still very much in the days of the Iron Curtain. It was on an LCGB organised trip but, as we were getting close to the border area, the guard came round the train and suggested that we should put our cameras away!

Our tour guide had a brother who'd escaped to the West before the wall went up and she would have liked to be able to join him. But of course, that was out of the question. She was very quiet and clearly sad as we trundled along by the border fencing. So near, and yet so far...

Morning All,

Part Three of this video is now on YouTube. It takes us from Eisfelder Talmühle to Drei Annen Hohne in a special train hauled by a vintage diesel railcar. From Drei Annen Hohne we take the Brocken line behind one of the 0-4-4-0 Mallet Tanks. This video ends at Goetheweg, but will be continued...

Hope you like it.

I put the forth part of my 2003 Harz video on YouTube earlier today. Here's the link if anyone would like to have a look:

Hope you like it.

Afternoon All,

If anyone would like have a look, part six of my 2003 HSB video is now on YouTube. Taken on the Sunday, it shows a special train on the Selketalbhn. This was, initially, double headed by Mallet 0-4-4-0T 99 5901 and 0-6-0T 99 6101, but the Mallet came off at Eisfelder Talmühle leaving the 0-6-0T to do the honours for the rest of the day. However, this did enable a parallel departure from Eisfelder Talmühle which we were able to film and photograph where the two lines diverge.

Hope it's of interest:

TTFN,

Ron.

Evening All,

The final part of my 2003 video shot on a trip to the HSB is now on my YouTube channel. It features 0-6-0T 99 6101 on the Selketalbahn so I hope you'll like it:

TTFN,

Ron.

Last edited:

eMeS

Evening All,

The final part of my 2003 video shot on a trip to the HSB is now on my YouTube channel. It features 0-6-0T 99 6101 on the Selketalbahn so I hope you'll like it:

TTFN,

Ron.
Thanks for the update.
I'm now confused - "2003" above, and "1993" in the title sequence of the video. What technique did you use for your original recordings? Mini-DV? or something better.

Thanks for the update.
I'm now confused - "2003" above, and "1993" in the title sequence of the video. What technique did you use for your original recordings? Mini-DV? or something better.

And you've every right to be confused! It was filmed in 2003, so what possessed me to put 1993 I can't imagine. I can only put it down to yet another senior moment! Anyway, thanks for pointing it out; I have now re-edited the title sequence and I hope I've got it right this time. See:

The original footage was recorded on Video Hi8 tapes which I then copied onto a standard VHA tape. I have digitalised this so that I can watch it on my computer and post it to YouTube.

Maybe, when the corona virus is fully under control, I go there again and get some modern day digital footage.

Ron.

Status
Not open for further replies.