• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has Anyone done the Far North Line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejames

Established Member
Remember that we are talking about one of the most remote and desolate stations in Britain, where the only alternative to a train is to hope that you can call a taxi company's number using the payphone, and this, naturally, probably doesn't work.

It wouldnt work because you wouldnt get a taxi down there!!
I tried to drive to the station not too long ago, as i saw a minor road down to it on the map, coming off of a main(ish) road. Needless to say, you couldnt really describe it as a road. It was a dirt track, and a bad example of one at that. Even 10mph was too fast. So had to scrap the idea after 10mins, and try and turn around. Never did make the station, and dont think i was anywhere near. Id have needed a 4x4 to have had any chance.

I think its meant to be a toss up between Rannoch (or one of the stations around there) and Altnabraec as to which is the remotest station in the UK.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ex-railwayman

I haven't been off the beaten track in Northern Scotland for years, but, in the 70/80/90's you could get the Postbus from quite a few locations near railway stations and they'd take you right across the whole of the counties of Caithness, Sutherland and Ross & Cromarty, unfortunately, a lot of these services were cut back due to unprofitability, etc, so, you'd need to have a look on t'internet to see where you can still get to these days, but, they were always a very useful and cheaper solution to taxis.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

tsr

Established Member
It wouldnt work because you wouldnt get a taxi down there!!
I tried to drive to the station not too long ago, as i saw a minor road down to it on the map, coming off of a main(ish) road. Needless to say, you couldnt really describe it as a road. It was a dirt track, and a bad example of one at that. Even 10mph was too fast. So had to scrap the idea after 10mins, and try and turn around. Never did make the station, and dont think i was anywhere near. Id have needed a 4x4 to have had any chance.

I think its meant to be a toss up between Rannoch (or one of the stations around there) and Altnabraec as to which is the remotest station in the UK.

I believe there is a good quality forest track off an A-road somewhere in the vicinity of Forsinard, and I am told that this continues to Altnabreac station's "level crossing". However, this track would likely not be open to motor vehicles, although the chances of someone stopping you are probably very close to nil. I would strongly advocate using a decent mountain bike for any journey like this.

The chances of a taxi arriving would indeed be low, but it might just happen, I suppose.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I believe there is a good quality forest track off an A-road somewhere in the vicinity of Forsinard, and I am told that this continues to Altnabreac station's "level crossing". However, this track would likely not be open to motor vehicles, although the chances of someone stopping you are probably very close to nil. I would strongly advocate using a decent mountain bike for any journey like this.

The chances of a taxi arriving would indeed be low, but it might just happen, I suppose.

I think this may be it - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...aSDFSI98qpCwr2A&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=12&t=m&z=12. You can't GSV it, but at the junction with the A road it looks little more than a dirt track.

Gathursty

Established Member
You're better off driving to Altnabreac from the B870, south of Scotscalder, and taking the appropriate dirt track road as seen on Google Maps. This one looks well kept. In fact, the Street View camera car got 5 miles down the track.

LE Greys

Established Member
I've been up there a few times, mostly on the way to Orkney (always came back to Aberdeen by ferry). Keep a good eye out for wildlife. I saw Seals along the shore towards Helmsdale, then Red Deer along (or in) the river most of the way up from there. If you're going to Thurso and in no hurry, then you could do what I did and get off at Georgmas Junction to stretch your legs, wait for the train to come back from Thurso the first time, get back on and go to Wick, get out there and find somewhere to grab a quick bite (found a cafe just over the river, but I can't remember exactly where) then get back on and do the last few miles to Thurso. Saves having to miss a bit.

Another thing I liked was the traditional opening times, although not everyone would appreciate that. Everywhere closes at 5:30, half-day on Wednesday and Saturday and doesn't open on Sunday at all. Both Wick and Thurso are very traditional places.

One more tip. If you have some spare time at Inverness, there's a decent cafe at the bus station, ignore the places at the railway station.

the sniper

Established Member
In the 60s this line was to be scrapped but I guess it survived.

Yeah, I guess it did... :roll:

Surely that post should win a Rail UK award for being the best contribution to a thread so far this year? :lol:

That must have been a boring job...

I'd have loved to have done that job! I do enjoy driving rather too much though...

tsr

Established Member
I'd have loved to have done that job! I do enjoy driving rather too much though...

Remember that the Flow Country is a very large region, and, as has been said, is both remote and repetitive. I'd definitely like to visit it one day, but probably not in exhaustive detail.

To be honest, I'd rather sit on a train, where you get a good overall view of the scenery, but hopefully not the repetitive feeling of driving down a high number of lanes in the back of beyond, thereby basically seeing the same view over and over again. I find there's only so many views of a mountain or a loch that I can tolerate before I have seen enough and taken enough photos!

LE Greys

Established Member

I'd love to have done that bit as well, as long as they didn't mind the odd pause to squint through my binoculars. Knowing my luck though, I'd get the M25.

Shimbleshanks

I did the far North about nine years ago. Wick seemed to be a bit more interesting than Thurso, in my opinion. There's a nice museum in Wick, whereas Thurso seemed to be more of a shopping place. I can't speak for the nightlife of Altnabreac, I'm afraid...

Francis

I did the Wick line from Edinburgh on a Club 55 ticket for £19 return on 8 March.
The 0706 for Wick left late because the driver didn't turn up, then we had to wait for two incoming trains - I think the first loop is at Dingwall, so once an Inverness train has left there you have half an hour to wait. Eventually we departed at 08.15, straight after the 0812 arrival.
The line loops around the Beauly Firth and the Dornoch Firth - it is much longer than the improved A( road, but the distant mountains were snow covered, and there is lots of estuary scenery, with the big oil rigs at Invergordon too. You turn inland again at Bonar Bridge, up to Lairg, with the funny little station for the YHA at Carbisdale Castle. East of Lairg you are in a picturesque crofting glen, running down to the sea again at Brora.
Sad that the stations on this stretch aren't in better nick.
We stopped for about 20 mins at Rogart halt, waiting for an oncoming train. There are railway camping coaches for hire there, and a big collection of railwayana, and a shunting loco.
Nice coastal scenery around helmsdale, with the Cairngorms just visible far to the south, and indeed the whole N coast of Moray stretching out towards Fraserburgh.
After Helmsdale you really go to the back of beyond, into the wilderness - Kinbrace, Altnabreac, Scotscalder. Very bleak, a couple of peaks and lakes. The line limit seems to be 75 in most places and he was certainly bombing along. I missed Altnabreac in fact, but managed to photo the others from the train.
Then we omitted the Thurso stop (a bus was laid on for the 2 or 3 passengers there), and headed straight to Wick, arr 40 mins late. I wanted a bit more time there so I caught the 13.46 bus back to inverness (£17 single) rather than the train at about 12.45. Mind you, the delights of Wick are limited and 1 1/2 hours seemed enough. It was cold and windy. I have been up in the car on another occasion to John O Groats, Dunnet Head and great views of the Orkneys.
The bus route south follows the coast more, and you can trace the old Lybster branch. You change at Dunbeath for the Thurso-Inverness service - that's the bus company's equivalent of Georgemas Jc.
Well worth doing, a great day out. Remember though, if you get in Inverness after the last Wick train has departed (17.10 I think), your overnight stay does not count as break of journey, and you are entitled to continue your journey by the 0706 the next day (National Conditions of Carriage). The lady at Edinburgh Waverley ticket desk tried to tell me I would have to buy an Inverness-Wick single the next morning, but I got them to endorse my ticket and arrival time at Inverness at 18.30 when we got in the night before. The Wick guard was quite happy with my ticket - they must have lots of passengers who ahve to overnight it in Inverness.

dangie

Established Member
...You probably haven't been on the Indian Pacific or The Ghan, if you think Thurso is the back blocks...
What I meant is that for a small island with over sixty million people, many won't realise that the UK does contain areas that are truly wilderness. Sutherland and Caithness is a wonderful area.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What if you were at the station wanting to get on though would there be a free phone that would put you through to someone.

You stick your arm out like you do at a bus stop!

I have never been that far north on the train. My furthest is Inverness. Would love to travel along that line but would prefer to do it on a real train :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I have never been that far north on the train. My furthest is Inverness. Would love to travel along that line but would prefer to do it on a real train

Yes I've been thinking that, I'd love to do this route but I just wish it was still 37s + Mk1s (or that they'd been replaced with newer Locos and LHCS). Ah well, I don't mind 158s so I'll still do it at some point I'm sure.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What I meant is that for a small island with over sixty million people, many won't realise that the UK does contain areas that are truly wilderness. Sutherland and Caithness is a wonderful area.

Think of this thread next time you see a Daily Mail article on Immigration banging on about this "overcrowded island" :lol:

The Far North is nice, but I got to the stage where the "emptiness" just got a bit much - there really is nothing there for long stretches.

There are more scenic lines elsewhere in Scotland (the Stranraer line is under-rated), but they lack the "romance" of being that far north.

Mainliner

I dont think i can face the journey on a unit :(

I also hate units, but I did Glasgow-Mallaig last year, and it wasn't as bad as I'd feared (due to the scenery, good company and plenty of alcohol :) ), so I'm hoping the same will apply when I do the North line this autumn.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I did the Wick line from Edinburgh on a Club 55 ticket for £19 return on 8 March.

In terms of value, I just can about beat that. As part of a Scotrail promotion both my partner and I traveled from Glasgow to Wick and back for £25 :D This was back in 2008, early winter so bone-cold once we got to Wick. Stunning stunning scenery on the way up; cold clear air meant you could see for miles. Spotted a few deer as well on the return.

Wick itself definitely had the feel of the "last town" on the mainland. Disagree with earlier comments about the Weatherspoons, ghastly place. We explored a bit (Pulteney Town is architecturally and historically fascinating - a barely modernised community of tight residential and industrial streets down by the harbout). We visited "the shortest street in the world" (really one side of a roundabout) and then spent the night in an ok B&B where they'd pushed two single beds together to make a double. I kept falling into the crack all night.

Photos from that trip are here.

Don't forget to try Wick's finest export, Old Pulteney. Quite unusual, quite sweet, apparently to do with the way the oak barrels are aged so close to the North Sea.

Or if you want a remote community in the UK, try Foula. 20 miles west of the Shetland mainland. Population of 31.

On a tangent, but, here's my trip report from Shetland to Foula on airliners.net from last summer. Would love to have stayed longer, although the irony is the population of Foula are probably the last people in the world who want to deal with another soppy tourist like me who likes the idea of living somewhere remote (but probably couldn't deal with the reality of it :D )

fhs man 2

On a tangent, but here's my trip report from Shetland to Foula on airliners.net from last summer. Would love to have stayed longer, although the irony is the population of Foula are probably the last people in the world who want to deal with another soppy tourist like me who likes the idea of living somewhere remote (but probably couldn't deal with the reality of it :D )

That flight in the front row looks really cool :)

matchmaker

Established Member
On a tangent, but, here's my trip report from Shetland to Foula on airliners.net from last summer. Would love to have stayed longer, although the irony is the population of Foula are probably the last people in the world who want to deal with another soppy tourist like me who likes the idea of living somewhere remote (but probably couldn't deal with the reality of it :D )

Very interesting. I made the trip by sea - on board the local Arun class lifeboat (52-030 Snolda). The one thing you must look out for if you spend any time there are the Bonxies - Great Skuas. They are not very friendly birds!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Very interesting. I made the trip by sea - on board the local Arun class lifeboat (52-030 Snolda). The one thing you must look out for if you spend any time there are the Bonxies - Great Skuas. They are not very friendly birds!
Bonxies are great fun: Hold a hat high above your head, hope for the best, oh and get ready to duck! :D

Think of this thread next time you see a Daily Mail article on Immigration banging on about this "overcrowded island" :lol:

The Far North is nice, but I got to the stage where the "emptiness" just got a bit much - there really is nothing there for long stretches.

There are more scenic lines elsewhere in Scotland (the Stranraer line is under-rated), but they lack the "romance" of being that far north.

Travelled back to Kilmarnock on Easter Sunday from Stranraer. Stranraer Box is closed on Sundays. Token working to Dunragit and from Dunragit to Glenwhilly. Picturesque scenery in late evening sunshine!

tbtc

Veteran Member
Travelled back to Kilmarnock on Easter Sunday from Stranraer. Stranraer Box is closed on Sundays. Token working to Dunragit and from Dunragit to Glenwhilly. Picturesque scenery in late evening sunshine!

Glad to hear you enjoyed it - it never gets the praise/ attention of the S&C or the Far North lines but is worth a trip (as long as you don't mind 156s - I like them)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Glad to hear you enjoyed it - it never gets the praise/ attention of the S&C or the Far North lines but is worth a trip (as long as you don't mind 156s - I like them)

In my eyes, the Ayr-Stranraer line is well within the top five most scenic in Britain, it may even push the West Highland and Kyle lines close. It is an absolute gem of a line, shame the future is so bleak.

corfield

I did that route the end of October 2010, on the way back from cycling Land's End to John O Groat's.

Guttingly, due to the time of year and leaving Wick circa 1500ish, much of the route was in darkness for me. What I did see was stunning though - and I love empty wilderness places (I'd say there was quite a bit of variation actually - having passed through the same region the opposite way over the preceding 2 days). Sadly, I had to get the caly sleeper back and it had been a very tough cycle from JOG to Wick in order to get the train at all. I recall the train (15X something) being very nice actually - but then I don't really like Mk3s (bouncing noisy things, esp the low backed seat ones where you're part of everyone-in-the-coach's conversation) and much prefer modern D & E MUs. Plus I was knackered and had spent 14 days riding so anything would be more comfortable than the saddle had become !

On that route pass the Scottish YHA Carbisdale Castle, built for the Duchess of Sutherland as part of some massive family spat post the death of her husband (I think they didn't like her but she got a load of the money) - the clock tower has just 3 faces, omitted on the side facing the Sutherland lands so they wouldn't even get the time of day. I believe (sadly too dark to see !), that is the face towards the railway as that had been built in their lands. Very interesting place to stay, still very richly decorated in parts, quite dilapidated in others, and you can pretty much wander round the entire place, including what would have been all the servants areas. Even a "Downton Abbey" style bell ring board on one corridor !

Apparently haunted, and some ghost hunters were there when I was. Closed at moment now for refurbishment. Pity as the gentle neglect highlighted the original features, and meant they didn't mind where you went - the cooking definitely needed significant improvements though - worst YH meal ever (possibly second to Stratford-Upon-Avon actually).

kermit

Didn't a Deltic get all the way up to Wick/Thurso last year? Which must mean run round loops for coaching stock are still extant?

jamesontheroad

Established Member

In my eyes, the Ayr-Stranraer line is well within the top five most scenic in Britain, it may even push the West Highland and Kyle lines close. It is an absolute gem of a line, shame the future is so bleak.

+1. I've used it a few times in the last few years, when en route between Glasgow and Belfast. Stena Line's decision to decamp from Stranraer towards the mouth of Loch Ryan (to save fuel, pure and simple) has nearly killed the line. On the plus side, Friday and Sunday evening journeys are no longer enhanced by crowds of tanked up Ulster folk going to/from Celtic and Rangers games :D

Didn't a Deltic get all the way up to Wick/Thurso last year? Which must mean run round loops for coaching stock are still extant?

Yep, back in June. Some videos here.

Status
Not open for further replies.