• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has anyone made a journey by train in the last few weeks purely for leisure purposes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well contrary to what I have recently posted, on a different thread, I haven't *yet* braved the railway in recent times but I *might* be doing so later today. If not today, it will be tomorrow.

Obviously it will be with plenty of distancing, face coverings and all that jazz, but I will see how things go. I'd go for a proper trip to London, but I'm not really feeling that to be a sensible idea. I do fancy Manchester or Sheffield though...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martinsh

Established Member
Travelling from Crewe regularly twice a week (to/from work). Absolutely no indication that Avanti are reservation only. Travelled mostly with LNR but have made a few Avanti trips.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, travelling from Paddington to Exeter or Bristol would be on their Class 80x IETs. If you were doing Exeter-Bristol or vice versa it would likely be on either the Castle Sets (refurbished and shortened HSTs) or a new 80x if it's going to London via Bristol (are these operating in the Covid timetable?), although some other sets were still operating between Exeter and Bristol when I was last down that way, perhaps someone can clarify what else is operating there now.

Or a 158, possibly a pair.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well I am currently on 175108 on the 1508 off Hereford (1110 from Milford Haven normally, no idea about currently) and I'm in the front coach. It's obviously not busy, as it usually would be, and I'm pleased to report the vast majority are wearing masks as they are meant to be. One fool has a snood, but left it around his neck...And he's drinking Stella, well that says a lot...

It is quite strange being out of Herefordshire for the first time in well over 4 months, but extremely satisfying! Going to visit my little sister in Cheshire today, so I will also need to use LNWR from Crewe.

So far so good though, and it's worth noting I'm not exactly planning a proper red pen fest on this adventure. I may still visit Manchester though...

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, the reign of the 158's on the Hallam stopper seems to be over now. Back to 150's.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Seaford-London Bridge-(walk)-Liverpool Street-Norwich-Ely-Kings Cross-East Croydon-Seaford today, A treat to myself, after four months of working from home.

My glasses became badly fogged, initially, and I thought I wouldn’t enjoy the day because of this, but my breathing style must have adapted to the mask because I had clear lenses by Gatwick Airport, outbound.

Most other passengers were behaving responsibly and kindly.

No on-board ticket checks at any point.

The buffet was open on the Down Norwich so I was able to get complimentary coffee and biscuits - not bad for an £18 First Class Advance.

All of the trains I used were very lightly loaded. If you’re feeling confident, I’d say it’s a good time to be doing some railway touring: subject to there being an adequate timetable in your area of interest.

Note that most station retailers and refreshment places remain closed. For example, at Norwich only the small supermarket (Budgen?) was trading. So best bring at least some food and drink with you from home.

London is eerily quiet.

Non Multi

Having to buy loads of DIY stuff in order to redecorate the living room meant I took my first rail journeys since March 18th. Taplow to Maidenhead & back on the TfL Rail purple trains, roughly 3 minutes each way. Was uneventful.

The 345 on the outward leg had almost no ads in the cove panels. The passenger loadings were similar to the final week before lockdown, still quite low, but not totally empty.

Maidenhead station has a 1 way system in place using the lifts corridor, but the Shoppenhangers Rd entrance is shuttered closed. The main entrance and ticket machines are a masterpiece in hazard tape!

I've not missed the recorded platform tannoy announcements that are repeated over and over.. Maidenhead station seemed so lifeless without the commuters and school kids heading home. I was the only passenger to alight at Taplow.

Wore a snood, felt a bit starved of fresh air waiting for the train. I was glad to be of out the stations to lower it.

mrcheek

Established Member
One of the things people have complained about during shutdown/reopening, is that many public toilets remain closed.
Whats the situation like on the railways? Are station toilets generally open? Unfortunately, this is a major consideration for me when deciding when to travel again!

Bishopstone

Established Member
One of the things people have complained about during shutdown/reopening, is that many public toilets remain closed.
Whats the situation like on the railways? Are station toilets generally open? Unfortunately, this is a major consideration for me when deciding when to travel again!

Open at all of the stations I’ve used lately, though sometimes only one set of toilets per station, where ordinarily they’d be (eg) facilities on Up and Down platforms. You shouldn’t have a problem, so long as you’re okay doing a bit of walking.

mrcheek

Established Member
Open at all of the stations I’ve used lately, though sometimes only one set of toilets per station, where ordinarily they’d be (eg) facilities on Up and Down platforms. You shouldn’t have a problem, so long as you’re okay doing a bit of walking.
Thanks for that! And fortunately, I love a good walk. Sometimes, when waiting at an unfamiliar station, I will walk up and down the entire length of the platform just to pass the time!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Technically in the rules (even if it is Stella)...

Really? I find it surprising it is allowed to be down for the entire journey on-board a train.

To be fair, I guess he could have a hidden disability. If so, you'd think he wouldn't then wear it on the platforms...

I used a few trains today, in order to access the Wirral and get some cycling going on. On the way from Winsford to Liverpool, the only time it became an issue with crowding in my coach was after Liverpool South Parkway when two other cyclists joined me and the other cyclist in the designated coach. 3 out of 4 of us (the other cyclist between Hartford and Liverpool) had masks on so it wasn't perfect but it was OK.

From West Kirby to Liverpool it was all good, almost everyone during the journey wore a mask and distancing was almost perfect throughout. Liverpool to Newton-le-Willows, not an issue but jeepers those bike holder things on the 802 confused the hell out of me. Gave up in the end! Thankfully coming back on a MK5 set the bike was easy to strap in next to some fold down seats. Distancing and masks was done to perfection on the Transpennine runs at least.

Coming back to Winsford, absolutely no issue with distancing or mask wearers, but one teen refused to wear a mask. So overall, no issues anywhere today really. I wonder how the return journey tomorrow will go...

Wolvercoter

I took my first train trip since 12th March about a week ago. Just Exeter > Newton > Dawlish Warren. Walk to Starcross then train back to Exeter. Quiet, except for some very drunk lads between Teignmouth and Dawlish. Well, it was about 1pm...

Planning a couple more leisure trips this week.

OliverH68

I took my first train last week for the first time since 16th March - also the last day I was in the office! Up back to Oxfordshire to see the family, lightly loaded. Did some local London riding over this weekend and again lightly loaded, but definitely getting busier.

Up to do a Lancashire Day Ranger next Saturday, with the joys of a £25 Travelodge room in Manchester the night before!

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I'll be interested to hear the loadings on your Lancashire Day Ranger trips. I'm thinking of doing one sometime in the next month or so.

richw

Veteran Member
I've made several journeys since the Government guidance changed. Other than wearing a face covering travelling by train is a pleasure at the moment as there are so few passengers.

Enjoy it while you can....

To me it was probably lower risk than normal with face coverings and improved cleaning regimes.

Killingworth

Established Member
I have written more of my experiences on Friday elswehere, but taking the TPE 2x185 8.14 from Dore to Piccadilly on Friday was like being on an empty coaching stock movement. Last time I used that train in January there were 40 of us joining. If I hadn't gone along for the ride there'd have been only 1.

I walked through the front 3 coaches and saw 4 other people. 1 more got on at Stockport. I counted everyone off at Piccadilly - 17. Clearly more had been in the rear half, but not a problem. No staff walked through the train and I can't recall any announcements.

Piccadilly was all but deserted. I felt like I'd blundered onto a heritage line on a non-operating training day. Plenty of people ready to direct and lots of 2 metre spots, arrows, direction signs, and free masks. The first floor shops and food outlets were all out of use, choice limited to Pret a Manger and Sainsbury's local - with guard outside and another inside.

My East Midlands 2x158 return felt slightly more normal insofar as the guard walked through my carriage and back again. Hard to estimate numbers aboard but more more than 17, at least 5 in my front carriage! Boarding at Platform 13 most had waited towards the back of the train using the rear 3 coaches.

Taking a Northern 2x150 stopper back up from Platform 7 at Sheffield to Dore I encountered the same bahaviour again. I'd say there were over 25 in the rear carriage, about 20 in the next, maybe 12 in the third and only about 5 of us in the front.

I saw nobody aboard a train without a mask.

How on earth can 'safe' distancing be maintained when loads can't easily be spread along trains, especially in mid journey?

As for Platforms 13/14 at Piccadilly, there's no way distancing can be maintained once a significant increase in traffic returns.

However, until that day arrives I feel quite happy travelling by train, carefully selecting the quiet end - just don't tell everyone else!

Skymonster

Established Member
Yep, travelled Derby-Sheffield-Cleethorpes and return on Saturday:
  • Derby-Sheffield: EMR five-car Meridian, two in the coach I sat in both of us wearing masks, similar load throughout the train
  • Sheffield-Doncaster: NOR three-car 170, four or five in each coach, one guy at the far opposite end of the coach I sat in with no mask and coughing without covering his mouth every 30 seconds or so (lovely! :()
  • Doncaster-Cleethorpes: TPE two x three-car 185s, three or four in the coach I sat in, all wearing masks, similar load throughout the train
  • Cleethorpes-Doncaster: TPE two x three-car 185s, five or six in the coach I sat in including a family group of four, speaking foreign language (eastern-European?) loudly / shouting, playing music on phone speaker (no ear phones), none of them wearing masks
  • Doncaster-Sheffield: NOR three-car 170, two in the rear coach I sat in, coaches towards the front were better loaded (15-20 each), all wearing masks but one with mask over mouth but not nose
  • Sheffield-Derby: EMR five-car Meridian, only one person in the coach I sat in
Notably, EMR have no physical signage instructing people where to sit although the train manager on Sheffield-Derby said to use only the window seats and leave the aisle seats unoccupied. Northern still had a few seats marked with the yellow-and-black crime scene tape (mainly those adjacent to the doors) but were otherwise not dictatorial about where to sit. TPE still have the ridiculous red or green tags in the seat reservations slots, restricting use of the majority of seats - indeed the conductor said that trains from Cleethorpes later in the day were likely to be busy and they could only take a maximum of 45 people on a three-car 185 (15 per coach). So in terms of making capacity available, TPE was by far the worst with only one seat at a bay of four available and airline seats restricted to one in each block of four at best. A few LNER trains passing Doncaster looked well loaded with at least one person in each row, although some coaches were more lightly loaded. EMR announcement said no reservations were being honoured during the virus, no mention of reservations on Northern, and no reservations tickets out on TPE and the subject was not mentioned in announcements. TPE conductor on Cleethorpes-Doncaster said if anyone needed anything he could be found in the rear cab (not sure how much use that would be for anyone sat in the front set), otherwise no staff passed through or said where there were on located any of the other workings. Signage on Doncaster station saying LNER was reservation-only but no one policing it when passengers boarded. LNER signage also saying "no alcohol on trains" but none of the other operators mentioned the subject in signs or announcements.

All announcements on all operators said masks were mandatory (no mention of exceptions). There were no ticket checks on any of the trains, or at Sheffield, Doncaster or Cleethorpes stations - Derby station had barriers operational for both entry and exit. On Derby, Sheffield, Doncaster and Cleethorpes station I did not use a mask (only put it on just before boarding the trains) and on no occasion was I accosted / questioned / challenged, although I did have occasion to talk to staff at both Sheffield and Doncaster - I estimate mask wearing on platforms and concourses was maybe 50% among customers, 25% among train crew. Every other seat on benches at Sheffield and Doncaster station marked out of use, didn't notice at Derby. Toilets closed at Cleethorpes, didn't notice elsewhere. Didn't notice any hand sanitiser facilities on any station or train.

No shops / cafes / coffee shops were open at Derby station, only Superdrug and The Tap open at Sheffield, Subway open at Doncaster (sadly the Draughtsman was not open!), although the pubs were open on Cleethorpes station. Lesson to learn: if you want reading material such as newspapers, drinks, snacks etc, or even tissues / sanitisers stock up elsewhere.

Excellent fish and chips from Ernie Becketts in Cleethorpes (no sitting in, but no need to pre-order, no one allowed in the shop except staff, orders taken at the door) followed by a pleasant couple of ales. Beach fairly busy above high water mark but deserted elsewhere, donkeys doing good business, amusement arcades open (didn't check to see how busy), seafront paths by roadside busy but not so much as to prevent social distancing, pubs not particularly busy, some cafes open and a few fish and chip shops with queues of up to four or five people waiting outside. Very very few people wearing masks in open spaces.

Thoughts: I absolutely loathed wearing a mask on the trains. Is it enough to discourage me from travelling by train again? Not sure.

Last edited:

AJM580

Went out Friday last week for the first time since February. Headed from Norwich to Ipswich on a 745/1 (very quiet), then headed for Elmswell & Thurston stations (nice quiet wayside places) to photograph a couple of freights, then had a session at Stowmarket, before heading to Ipswich to pick up 745101 back to Norwich. No problems at Stowmarket or Ipswich, masks compulsory on trains and stations (as per frequent announcements) but went maskless on Stowmarket and no-one that bothered.

BJames

Established Member
Really? I find it surprising it is allowed to be down for the entire journey on-board a train.

To be fair, I guess he could have a hidden disability. If so, you'd think he wouldn't then wear it on the platforms...
The legislation allows you to eat and drink on board a train (or other public transport), removing your face covering to do so. Of course, this assumes you're going to be drinking something like water, which means you'd take off your covering, drink and then move it back. Having a leisurely pint isn't quite the same as having a drink of water - although if alcohol is not banned on the service you are perfectly within rights to do so (see post above about LNER saying it is banned).

I've been on a few journeys in the last couple of weeks on London Overground & Underground, Great Northern, Thameslink and EMR. Great Northern was definitely my quietest journey, followed by EMR in one direction Nottingham to London, much busier in the northbound (but possibly due to the time of day). I don't enjoy the masks but I did enjoy the extra space on most of my services and I have encountered just one disruption on the underground, none on the overground services.

@Skymonster 's journeys with EMR seem to match up with mine - all train managers said face coverings mandatory (including one overzealous staff member telling people to report anyone without a mask to the BTP on 61016 - I mentioned this elsewhere), no ticket checks but barriers were in operation at both ends. No physical signage on EMR intercity but a request to respect social distancing by sitting in window seats not aisle, and that "this is a quiet service, please feel free to spread yourselves around between the carriages".

NorthWestRover

Established Member
I had a pleasant day out yesterday in Alderley Edge with a little diversion on the way home.

Bought GM Wayfarer from Wallgate. Normally the best idea as you get credit card ticket unlike North Western where it's big roll. Unfortunately, Wallgate ticket office closed, so bought from member of staff with bog roll machine.

Wandered over to North Western for the 09.54 Leeds service I would take as far as Manchester Vic. 158 848 and 158 861. Very lightly loaded but picked up a few at each station on the Atherton line. Good to see no seats out of use. Everybody appeared to be wearing face coverings (I mostly wore mine around the station too although I don't particularly like it). No ticket check (don't think I saw a member of staff walking through a train all day).

Alighted at Victoria and followed the highlighted route to get from platform 6 to the barriers. Needless to say my ticket didn't work on the reader. Most shops and cafes in the station closed. Greggs open.

Walked through a relatively quiet Manchester. Got to Piccadilly which has a one way system to enter. Lots of staff to help, but it's all a bit military. Still, the 11.01 to Crewe was waiting for me (323 236) and having shown my ticket to the man on the barrier (last ticket check of the day), I joined another fairly empty train for the 30 minute trip. Windows all open which was nice. Again no seats taken out of use.

Four hours in Alderley Edge including walk up to the sandstone escarpment, coffee and apple pie in the Village Cafe, bought three books in charity shops, pop into Waitrose.

Caught the 15.13 back to Piccadilly (323 239) which was again lightly loaded. No seats out of use. If there had been a Pacer on the services due to leave for Rose Hill, New Mills or Sheffield, I might have hopped on them. But the ones about to leave were all 150s, so I got the Hull TPE service (185 106 and 185 133) to Stalybridge. Many seats out of use with red markers in the reservation slot on the seat, but train fairly empty again. There were pacers on some of the other diagrams.

Had a pint of Timothy Taylor Boltmaker in outside area of the Buffet Bar. Few people inside, four tables occupied outside. Table service (only 4 beers on) and track and trace details taken. All fine.

Took TPE back to Piccadilly (185 120 and 185 147, all the 185 services I saw were doubles). Arrived in Piccadilly at 17.20 which was normally a very busy time. Trains I saw were all OK in terms of load. I wandered over to platform 14 and watched a Liverpool (via Chat Moss) and Blackpool service leave. Lots of room. I got the 17.48 Barrow service (195 108) home to Wigan. Again very lightly loaded although some seats (few) out of use.

Overall impression of the day. Very high rate of compliance on face coverings (over 95% on trains, 30-50% on stations), but passenger numbers are very low. On board staff rare, station staff as normal (other than masks/visors). Given the low numbers, even in the peak has encouraged me to do a Lancashire Day Ranger and get some Nova 1/2/3 mileage.

Killingworth

Established Member
A point I didn't mention previously. Hope Valley stopping services are now mostly 2x150s. Previously that was 150/1s, with an occasional 150/2 in the mix. That's hopeless to spread the load along the train. I've seen trains out of Sheffield with the front 2 coaches almost empty and the rear two very well filled. That's because they're the ones you'll reach first when walking up the platform.

Yesterady I saw something so sensible you'd wonder why it hasn't been done before. 2x150/2s with the guard stationed in a middle cab to see how all the train was loading. Possibly a Northern aberration from the random unit generator, but hopefully a deliberate action.

It may take regular users a little time to adapt.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I used TPE yesterday to Sheffield with a very brief stint on Northern just from Heaton Chapel to Stockport and vice-versa. Face coverings were ok on a 50 minute ride but not sure my respiratory system could cope for longer than an hour at a time without 5-10 minute breathers (I'm only early-30s!) The trains themselves were empty though I did travel after 09:00 out and the very last one back. I also used buses within South Yorkshire which were in some cases a little busier than I'd anticipated, however none were ever full. Again this was middle of the day - I was in the centre of Sheffield at evening peak and it was eerily quiet. Probably a bit busier than, say, back in April, but certainly nowhere near a normal Monday.

P.S I can recommend Riverside Chippy in Hillsborough - great food and service for a good price!

island

Veteran Member
The legislation allows you to eat and drink on board a train (or other public transport), removing your face covering to do so. Of course, this assumes you're going to be drinking something like water, which means you'd take off your covering, drink and then move it back. Having a leisurely pint isn't quite the same as having a drink of water - although if alcohol is not banned on the service you are perfectly within rights to do so (see post above about LNER saying it is banned).
Not quite. The legislation allows removal of face coverings for the purpose of eating or drinking if it is reasonably necessary to do so*. I think you would struggle to convince me (or, more to the point, a court) that it is reasonably necessary to have “a leisurely pint” on the train, or to sit for an hour with your face uncovered sipping a tiny amount of water every few minutes.

* Regulation 4 (e), Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings on Public Transport) (England) Regulations 2020

Wuffle

I used TPE yesterday to Sheffield with a very brief stint on Northern just from Heaton Chapel to Stockport and vice-versa. Face coverings were ok on a 50 minute ride but not sure my respiratory system could cope for longer than an hour at a time without 5-10 minute breathers (I'm only early-30s!) The trains themselves were empty though I did travel after 09:00 out and the very last one back. I also used buses within South Yorkshire which were in some cases a little busier than I'd anticipated, however none were ever full. Again this was middle of the day - I was in the centre of Sheffield at evening peak and it was eerily quiet. Probably a bit busier than, say, back in April, but certainly nowhere near a normal Monday.

P.S I can recommend Riverside Chippy in Hillsborough - great food and service for a good price!

You might have an exemption under the hidden disabilities clause

(https://hiddendisabilitiesstore.com/?SID=1ac8cd621bde4b9d0d5a60af7bcee657)

YorksDMU

So today I went on the 13.32 Beverley, ex Hull, to Scarborough service, which was formed of 170456. I travelled in the rear DMSL. It was full, and everyone seemed quite happy. They were mostly younger than myself, and several groups/families were evident. There were no seats marked out of use, indeed all were in use.
I had my mask on, and, like on my earlier journeys to York, I had no problems wearing it. Indeed, I forgot I had it on, and walked around part of the south bay sands with it on!
The return journey was the 17.00 to Beverley and Hull, formed of 170459. I travelled in the leading DMSL. It wasn’t quite as full, but then that particular service before the virus hit was never a particularly busy service.
Both trains ran on time throughout, and I felt quite safe, again, as on those earlier journeys to York, last month.
I will be going again next week. It’s literally a breath of fresh sea air, and makes such a change to have a sense of normality restored. They even have Welcome Back To Scarborough signs up, in places, along the sea front.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So today I went on the 13.32 Beverley, ex Hull, to Scarborough service, which was formed of 170456. I travelled in the rear DMSL. It was full, and everyone seemed quite happy. They were mostly younger than myself, and several groups/families were evident. There were no seats marked out of use, indeed all were in use.
I had my mask on, and, like on my earlier journeys to York, I had no problems wearing it. Indeed, I forgot I had it on, and walked around part of the south bay sands with it on!
The return journey was the 17.00 to Beverley and Hull, formed of 170459. I travelled in the leading DMSL. It wasn’t quite as full, but then that particular service before the virus hit was never a particularly busy service.
Both trains ran on time throughout, and I felt quite safe, again, as on those earlier journeys to York, last month.
I will be going again next week. It’s literally a breath of fresh sea air, and makes such a change to have a sense of normality restored. They even have Welcome Back To Scarborough signs up, in places, along the sea front.

Sounds an excellent day out - glad to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.