• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has Euxton Balshaw Lane ever had direct Manchester services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
Euston Balshaw Lane is just South of the junction where Manchester bound trains leave the West Coast Main Line. As a result it must be one of a small number of train stations in the North West that don't have a services to Manchester (ignore Merseyrail).

I know it is on Liverpool-Preston/Blackpool North services and has been since forever but has it ever had a service to Manchester?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stephens

Euston Balshaw Lane is just South of the junction where Manchester bound trains leave the West Coast Main Line. As a result it must be one of a small number of train stations in the North West that don't have a services to Manchester (ignore Merseyrail).

I know it is on Liverpool-Preston/Blackpool North services and has been since forever but has it ever had a service to Manchester?

You mean Euxton (pron. Ex-ton) Balshaw Lane.

Gathursty

Established Member
Predictive text!!! Please can a Mod correct the typo thanks. Of course I mean Euxton near Chorley.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
*Might* have had some when Chorley tunnel was blockaded in August 2008.

But as a regular, normal service? No

roversfan2001

Established Member
There's actually now an hourly service to Manchester Airport that stops at Leyland, then passes through the platforms at Euxton (as opposed to using the fast lines); presumably there just isn't the demand for a direct service.

Jonny

Established Member
There's actually now an hourly service to Manchester Airport that stops at Leyland, then passes through the platforms at Euxton (as opposed to using the fast lines); presumably there just isn't the demand for a direct service.

Perhaps it is meant to go via Bolton in future?

Edit: then it would no longer pass through Euxton Balshaw Lane.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Predictive text!!! Please can a Mod correct the typo thanks. Of course I mean Euxton near Chorley.
Done but for future reference, go to Thread Tools at the top of the thread, then Edit Title

Also to contact moderators please use the report button ;)

scrapy

Established Member
There is probably around equal demand for Manchester and Liverpool but not enough demand for a half hourly service. Whilst not always as convenient Manchester passengers can change at Wigan. The station catchment area is similar to that of Buckshaw which has 3 trains an hour to Manchester.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There is probably around equal demand for Manchester and Liverpool but not enough demand for a half hourly service. Whilst not always as convenient Manchester passengers can change at Wigan. The station catchment area is similar to that of Buckshaw which has 3 trains an hour to Manchester.

Agreed - people bound for Manchester just railhead to Buckshaw, Chorley or Horwich Parkway. Big car parks and 3 trains and hour.

notlob.divad

Established Member
As a result it must be one of a small number of train stations in the North West that don't have a services to Manchester (ignore Merseyrail).
Everything between Prescot and Bryn inclusive. Runcorn (main), Acton Bridge, Hartford and Winsford. Ormskirk to Croston inclusive, Lostock Hall to Mill Hill inclusive. Morcombe and Bare Lane, Colne through Burnley Barracks, Upton through Neston, Dalston through Askam, plus Wetheral and Armathwaite through to where you consider the North West to End.

Ps I forgot the obvious, Moss Side through Blackpool South.

So not an inconsiderate number in total.

gnolife

Established Member
Everything between Prescot and Bryn inclusive. Runcorn (main), Acton Bridge, Hartford and Winsford. Ormskirk to Croston inclusive, Lostock Hall to Mill Hill inclusive. Morcombe and Bare Lane, Colne through Burnley Barracks, Upton through Neston, Dalston through Askam, plus Wetheral and Armathwaite through to where you consider the North West to End.

Ps I forgot the obvious, Moss Side through Blackpool South.

So not an inconsiderate number in total.
You missed what will be, by far, the closest examples in Reddish South and Denton.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
You mean Euxton (pron. Ex-ton) Balshaw Lane.
You would have thought the railway, which serves the station, would know that. When the 319s were introduced the auto-announcement pronounced it as Euston with an x. That was changed but the auto-announcement at Preston is still wrong.

stephens

You would have thought the railway, which serves the station, would know that. When the 319s were introduced the auto-announcement pronounced it as Euston with an x. That was changed but the auto-announcement at Preston is still wrong.

Yes. I have heard the incorrect auto-announcement and it sounds awful!
You would think they would try and get the basics right.

thenorthern

Established Member
I know some of the Barrow/Windermere to Manchester Airport trains used to go that way in First North Western days however I don't think any stopped at Euxton Balshaw Lane. This is not to say there have never been any Manchester services stopping there.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I know some of the Barrow/Windermere to Manchester Airport trains used to go that way in First North Western days however I don't think any stopped at Euxton Balshaw Lane. This is not to say there have never been any Manchester services stopping there.

Barrow/Windermere were routed via Wigan between about 1995 and May 1998, at which point they were routed via Chorley* instead. Thus there was only about 6 month overlap with modern Euxton Balshaw Lane being open (only served by Blackpool-Liverpool).

*Simultaneous to the hourly Southport-Manchester-Chester becoming hourly Southport-Manchester Airport for the first time, thus the Wigan-Airport link no longer needed to be provided by Barrow/Windermere services.

Established Member
I alighted from a 185 there ex Man Picc during the 2014(?) Chorley blockade.

I alighted from a 185 there ex Man Picc during the 2014(?) Chorley blockade.
North West trains Blackpool to London service with class 158's served Balshaw Lane in the 1990's. So you could get a train from Euston to Euxton.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Yes. I have heard the incorrect auto-announcement and it sounds awful!
You would think they would try and get the basics right.
Who is the woman now at Preston pronouncing it "Yuxton"? Is it Anne?

MDB1images

During the Chorley blockade some TPE Blackpool North to Manchester Airport services was booked to call(can't remember the exact year).

Status
Not open for further replies.