• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has SWR furloughed any guards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winks

They introduced a slightly reduced timetable a couple of weeks ago so what happens to all the guards are they being paid to sit at home and do nothing ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
If it's anything like our place guards and drivers are still at a premium owing to shielding, COVID positive cases and track and trace isolations. Part of the rationale for the reduced service is the reduced number of available staff.

There is an agreement in place that if a member of staff isn't allocated a train to work they will be available at home to come in at short notice if required, so it is theoretically possible yes to be paid to do nothing.

Personally I've not had a spare at home shift in a very, very long time. I was pencilled in for one last week and got called up with 36 hours notice to work a diagram.

DelW

Established Member
I thought I'd read on one of the forums that the furlough scheme isn't available to franchise operator TOCs. Since all their costs, including staff wages, are being met by taxpayers, there's no reason for them to use it.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I thought I'd read on one of the forums that the furlough scheme isn't available to franchise operator TOCs. Since all their costs, including staff wages, are being met by taxpayers, there's no reason for them to use it.
The only conceivable reason would be to avail of the 'cover' of the CJRS to instigate a 20% pay cut - in fact rather more than 20% for staff earning over £30k. But that seems unlikely, at least right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.