• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has the Blackpool Tram frequency reduced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

Hi guys, first post so please be gentle.

I went to Blackpool at the weekend, and was gutted to find the trams I've known since childhood have all gone :(

Yes of course the new trams are faster, quieter and so on, but to me it's almost like demolishing the Tower.

The new trams only seem to run every 20 minutes. I'm sure trams were more frequent than this in the past. Can anyone remember?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
There are a selection of older heritage trams running tours along the promenade, did you not see them? You can catch them from the Pleasure Beach (and other points) and a round trip tour costs £5.

The new trams are currently running every 20 minutes, but I believe there will be frequency increases on the central section from the beginning of July. I'll probably be every 10 minutes between Pleasure Beach and Cleveleys during the peak summer season.

Comstock

The new trams are currently running every 20 minutes, but I believe there will be frequency increases on the central section from the beginning of July. I'll probably be every 10 minutes between Pleasure Beach and Cleveleys during the peak summer season.

Ah, every 10 minutes is more like the service I remember.

Thanks.

Established Member
10 minute frequency is a must to compete with the buses (even if most of them are operated by the same company as the trams).

Brilliantbert

Frequency should be 10 minutes throughout Starr Gate to Fleetwood from 1 July. Problem has been the new trams extra power requires an additional substation at Fleetwood which had been delayed by planning permission. As a result One Tram in Operation Only was required from Fishermans Walk in Fleetwood through to the Ferry necessitating the 20 minute frequency to start with. On top of this, the final tram number 16 is only being delivered this Saturday and number 2 has had to go back to Germany for repairs.

ashworth

Established Member
If summer ever does arrive this year for July and August, I would imagine that a frequency of only every 20 minutes to Fleetwood on a Tuesday morning would be totally inadequate with the hoards of people that travel up to the markets.

Established Member
During the Illuminations the heritage tours are planned to be every 20 minutes on top of the Illumination Tours as far as I know.

Brilliantbert

It is actually 10 minutes throughout to Fleetwood with Balloon trams on 10 minute frequency short workings to Cleveleys, its just BT have put the 'and at frequent intervals' column at a confusing place just as the 20 minute morning frequency ups to 10.

Crimson_Quiff

It is actually 10 minutes throughout to Fleetwood with Balloon trams on 10 minute frequency short workings to Cleveleys, its just BT have put the 'and at frequent intervals' column at a confusing place just as the 20 minute morning frequency ups to 10.

The trams today were observed and no Balloon was used. All Flexities. It seems that they have enough to cover the 10 minute Fleetwood service and the Cleveleys turn backs.

Brilliantbert

Interesting. Were the Cleveleys turn backs actually running? On Traveline only the 10 minute through trams are shown (and at different times to that which BT's website say). Certainly for buses Traveline use the legal documents submitted by the bus companies specifying the timetable they will operate, so I assume it is the same for the Trams. I wonder if the short Cleveleys, once the 10 min frequency has kicked in at 1100, are just on demand. To be honest they seem a bit like overkill anyway outside weekends/the illuminations.
Hoping to go over tomorrow so I'll have a good look myself.

Crimson_Quiff

Interesting. Were the Cleveleys turn backs actually running? On Traveline only the 10 minute through trams are shown (and at different times to that which BT's website say). Certainly for buses Traveline use the legal documents submitted by the bus companies specifying the timetable they will operate, so I assume it is the same for the Trams. I wonder if the short Cleveleys, once the 10 min frequency has kicked in at 1100, are just on demand. To be honest they seem a bit like overkill anyway outside weekends/the illuminations.
Hoping to go over tomorrow so I'll have a good look myself.

There is nothing on the timetable to suggest that they only run to meet demand. My only thought is that the timetable was delayed by a day as there was a rumour flying around on Sunday 1st that they were putting it back a day due to 'over running Driver Training'. Bit of a poor excuse but I think it's down to tram numbers and availbility. They are going to need every tram they can get if they are going to run this 10 minute service. They try to use every available Flexity but they do have the refurbished deckers if needs must.
In my opinion, I think Blackpool Transport are reluctant to use them. There has only been 4 recorded outings for the widened balloons and two of them broke down en route! 724 only made it to Ash Street before failing and running in, 713 made it to Fleetwood Ferry successfully, 713 has also had 2 round trips to Cabin and the same tram could have made it to the Ferry again but was turned back at Ash Street and ran in service back to Starr Gate and then into depot. Reason, not known. Delayed service, maybe?

In terms of the deckers being used on a regular basis, we'll see on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.