Hatton to Lapworth - still the cheapest Annual Season?

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Skimpot flyer, 7 Dec 2017.

1. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

Just wondering if this Railcard (sorry, Annual Season) will still be the shortest route to Goldcard after the fares increase, or will there be an alternate route in 2018, provided perhaps by a different TOC ?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

It doesn't look like Hatton to Lapworth is being increased, so I expect that will still be the cheapest option.

4. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

(Bump)
    Anyone know if this Season’s cheapest unofficial railcard will be the Hatton to Lapworth Annual Season when the 2020 fare increase takes effect?

5. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

A quick play on the NRE season ticket calculator with a date of 2nd Jan gives:

Lapworth - Hatton, £172
    Lichfield Trent - Lichfield City, £180
    Pevensey & Westham - Pevensey Bay, £176
    Exeter Central - Exeter St Davids, "5 out of 7" £152

6. [.n]

[.n] Member

Ryde St John's - Ryde Esplanade £188

7. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

Thanks for the info... although I don’t get the ‘5 out of 7’ bit...
    As well as being cheaper, the Exeter option presumably won’t have the problem I’ve had when purchasing the Hatton/Lapworth ticket, whereby it gets issued on orange ticket stock, despite these stations being inside the Gold Card Area for several years!!
    One has to be assertive and politely inform the station staff that, although said stations are not in the Network Railcard Area, they ARE in the Gold Card one...!

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  8. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

In Devon they have "part time" season tickets which are valid for 3 days out of the 5 weekdays plus weekends, so you can buy a season valid for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

9. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

So do you get a gold record card with these part time Exeter season tickets, and if so can you use that discount after 9.30 on all 5 weekdays?
    I not had any trouble buying lapworth-hatton seasons from marlyebone station.

10. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

In that case, two questions if I may...
    can one renew a Lapworth/Hatton season at Marylebone even if - as in my case - my current one was purchased at a completely different station ?
    Also, is there somewhere to add the Gold Card to my Oyster within the station (at Marylebone) ?

11. bubieyehyeh

bubieyehyeh Member

1) Not sure, I've only bought and renewed the lapworth/hatton season at Marylebone. You might need to give them some more details, if you bought elsewhere.
    2) Yes there is a underground barrier line about 10metres from ticket office, just ask one of the gate staff and they can do it for you at the nearby underground machine.

12. Indigo2

Indigo2 Established Member

Generally each TOC has its own season ticket database. So if you've previously bought a season ticket at a ticket office operated by Chiltern Railways, it should be totally straightforward at Marylebone. Otherwise you'll need to provide name and address details etc., which isn't really a problem either.

You can add the Gold Card to your Oyster at Marylebone ticket office directly after buying it - they have Oyster equipment there.

13. Skimpot flyer

Skimpot flyer Member

Thanks for the advice. I can break one of my work journeys, on the Bakerloo line, to renew my season at Marylebone. I assume one can renew up to 2 weeks before the current season expires?

14. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

7 days, although some retailers may ease this restriction around Christmas and New Year.