• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hattons 2nd hand listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

raetiamann

I've been looking for some time to try and get a certain model, checking Rails and Hattons sites on a regular basis, and began to wonder just what was coming up for sale. One of the things with lockdown is doing stuff you hadn't previously done, so I decided I would count what was being listed. Here's what I found.

Jan Feb Mar
Steam locos 268 638 191
Diesel locos 122 211 97
Electric locs 3 6 3
DMU 19 27 11
D railcars 20 14 3
EMU 16 6 4
El railcars 2 0 2

The counting may not be 100% accurate in the sense that I checked the site at my earliest opportunity following the email alert from the shop. If anyone was quick off the mark, then an item could have been bought and there off the site before I looked.

I've been very surprised at some of the prices, as I have on auction sites. Both Rails and Hattons have had 2nd hand product on for more than they are selling identical new items. This maybe has an impact on modelllers just starting out in the hobby. Is this being reflected in the prices people are being offered for their models. Maybe it the lack of toyfairs jacking it worse.

My focus has been on diesel/electric models and the comments above refer specifically to those groups, though I'd be interested to hear if the same thing is happening with steam too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
It just goes to show that it really pays to shop around.

Some 2nd hand loco’s can be worth more than new if they have been weathered or had DCC fitted. Are you comparing like-for-like? But, also 2nd hand sellers need to make a bit of profit too which seems to drive prices up, same as on ebay where them taking a 10% cut means prices are higher with the seller needing to make profit too. Again, you need to shop around and shop very carefully...

Peter C

Established Member
That's an interesting set of data you've got there @raetiamann - thanks for sharing. It definitely shows that steam engines are the more popular form of traction being sold on Rails and Hattons, which is something we've sort of spoken about on the forum before: however I wasn't expecting there to be that large of a difference between steam and diesel locos, particularly in February!

Your comment about some models being listed second-hand for more money than they'd cost new is something I've noticed quite a few people picking up on whenever Hattons share their latest lot of pre-owned models (they publicise it through Twitter each time they add new things). eBay is even worse for inflated prices: it seems that over lockdown(s), people have been going through lofts and attics to find things to sell without actually knowing what they've got. They look at prices for new, working engines/stock online and then assume their rubbish must be worth the same. Finding good deals is getting harder and harder on eBay because of this.

Generally when steam locos are sold second-hand, they tend to be older models and therefore often go for lower prices than second-hand diesel/electric models, which are often newer purely because the engines to make models of are newer and didn't exist when the old steam engine models were produced. Manufacturers making models of newer engines/units tend to make smaller batches and therefore sell the models for higher prices: this is going to be replicated or even increased by second-hand sellers wishing to make a profit. This can be broadly applied to all new models though: prices are going up and therefore second-hand prices are going up too (and not necessarily because more new models are being sold second-hand - see above comments about selling during lockdown etc.).

As @Iskra says, it really is worth shopping around when looking for models. A good bet might be to try some of the smaller shops listed in the adverts of Railway Modeller or other modelling magazines: a lot of them - but not all - have an Internet presence and they often have smaller customer bases than the larger businesses, meaning models might hang around for longer (several years longer in the case of some shops).

-Peter

raetiamann

That's an interesting set of data you've got there @raetiamann - thanks for sharing. It definitely shows that steam engines are the more popular form of traction being sold on Rails and Hattons, which is something we've sort of spoken about on the forum before: however I wasn't expecting there to be that large of a difference between steam and diesel locos, particularly in February!

Your comment about some models being listed second-hand for more money than they'd cost new is something I've noticed quite a few people picking up on whenever Hattons share their latest lot of pre-owned models (they publicise it through Twitter each time they add new things). eBay is even worse for inflated prices: it seems that over lockdown(s), people have been going through lofts and attics to find things to sell without actually knowing what they've got. They look at prices for new, working engines/stock online and then assume their rubbish must be worth the same. Finding good deals is getting harder and harder on eBay because of this.

Generally when steam locos are sold second-hand, they tend to be older models and therefore often go for lower prices than second-hand diesel/electric models, which are often newer purely because the engines to make models of are newer and didn't exist when the old steam engine models were produced. Manufacturers making models of newer engines/units tend to make smaller batches and therefore sell the models for higher prices: this is going to be replicated or even increased by second-hand sellers wishing to make a profit. This can be broadly applied to all new models though: prices are going up and therefore second-hand prices are going up too (and not necessarily because more new models are being sold second-hand - see above comments about selling during lockdown etc.).

As @Iskra says, it really is worth shopping around when looking for models. A good bet might be to try some of the smaller shops listed in the adverts of Railway Modeller or other modelling magazines: a lot of them - but not all - have an Internet presence and they often have smaller customer bases than the larger businesses, meaning models might hang around for longer (several years longer in the case of some shops).

-Peter
Couple of points there. The numbers of steam locos for sale can be taken two ways - one they are the more popular of the choices or that more modellers are getting rid of their steam models.

Regarding newish versus old, certainly older Lima, Hornsby and similar outweigh the newer offerings quite considerably. The newer diesel ranks have been swollen by an influx of Hattons class 66 locos, which I'm guessing are returns as quite a few are being sold as wobbly runners, and a few noisy. Probably tidied them up and shifting these to cut their losses.

Peter C

Established Member
Couple of points there. The numbers of steam locos for sale can be taken two ways - one they are the more popular of the choices or that more modellers are getting rid of their steam models.
Good point. I'd be more inclined to go with the first thought but they are both equally likely.

Regarding newish versus old, certainly older Lima, Hornsby and similar outweigh the newer offerings quite considerably. The newer diesel ranks have been swollen by an influx of Hattons class 66 locos, which I'm guessing are returns as quite a few are being sold as wobbly runners, and a few noisy. Probably tidied them up and shifting these to cut their losses.
From what I've seen the Hattons 66s seem to be sold on Hattons' pre-owned section in all sorts of conditions: missing axle boxes, wobbly runners, glue-marked: and a lot of them are for just under the RRP.

-Peter :)

Iskra

Established Member
Also, I find this website a lot better for second hand stuff in terms of prices and everything usually comes with a 6 month mechanical warranty. It's worth checking frequently as some gems can come up at good prices;

Peter C

Established Member
Also, I find this website a lot better for second hand stuff in terms of prices and everything usually comes with a 6 month mechanical warranty. It's worth checking frequently as some gems can come up at good prices;

Well then @Iskra - that's 10 mins of my life I'm not getting back after looking through there ;)
There are some brilliant deals they've got. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

-Peter

BrettSy96

There’s been a few things I’ve seen on Hattons pre owned range that I’ve seen on Ebay for a lot less. I stick to eBay for second hand items and hattons for new items.

Status
Not open for further replies.