• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hattons Genesis 4 & 6 Wheel Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iskra

Established Member
Here is a video explaining the product and the liveries:

Has anyone else been tempted by any of these? Or perhaps even the Hornby version?

They aren't necessarily correct for my layout, but I've pre-ordered a couple in BR maroon for departmental use or possibly as a cycle van.

Some of the liveries on these are stunning, I also really like the GNR teak versions and the LNWR version, the GWR does look good too. They have some even more interesting future liveries planned too; namely the Lancashire & Yorkshire, NCB, Caledonian Railway and Longmoor Military Railway interest me personally. It's nice to see some early coaching stock being modelled and one of the best things about coaches on this size is that they are ideal for smaller layouts too.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I'm yet to watch the video, but those coaches do look nice. I'd probably go for the GWR ones myself - or the BR Maroon ones for something like a departmental set, now you've mentioned it.
These coaches seemed to last forever and appear everywhere so I think Hattons have hit quite the gold mine here!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
I'm yet to watch the video, but those coaches do look nice. I'd probably go for the GWR ones myself - or the BR Maroon ones for something like a departmental set, now you've mentioned it.
These coaches seemed to last forever and appear everywhere so I think Hattons have hit quite the gold mine here!

-Peter
They possibly have, there is just the slight issue that Hornby are also producing similar coaches!

I wonder if they will produce the Blue/Grey six wheeler? That would be a popular one too I think.

Last edited:

RichJF

I might be tempted by a 4 wheel GWR wheel brake & 3rd class pair. My shunting yard is loosely GWR/early BR & they'd probably look good behind my Prairie with a 4 wheel van.

Iskra

Established Member
I might be tempted by a 4 wheel GWR wheel brake & 3rd class pair. My shunting yard is loosely GWR/early BR & they'd probably look good behind my Prairie with a 4 wheel van.
There are so many liveries that I think these will appeal to a lot of modellers. I agree that would make a very nice combination. Would you go for the lit or the unlit versions?

Peter C

Established Member
They possibly have, there is just the slight issue that Hornby are also producing similar coaches!
That is a bit of an issue for Hattons I suppose! :)
I haven't been paying much attention to either Hornby's or Hattons' ranges, so I don't know if one has been more popular overall than the other, but it's going to be really interesting to see how the two compare in day-to-day operation.

I wonder if they will produce the Blue/Grey six wheeler? That would be a popular one too I think.
Now I've not heard of that. Google doesn't produce any relevant results but it does sound quite interesting?

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
That is a bit of an issue for Hattons I suppose! :)
I haven't been paying much attention to either Hornby's or Hattons' ranges, so I don't know if one has been more popular overall than the other, but it's going to be really interesting to see how the two compare in day-to-day operation.

Now I've not heard of that. Google doesn't produce any relevant results but it does sound quite interesting?

-Peter
I agree it will be interested to see the quality difference. There's a photo of it here:

Peter C

Established Member
I agree it will be interested to see the quality difference. There's a photo of it here:

Now that is interesting. Just seen another photo of it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/14748010617/ (after looking in this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/interesting-rarities-that-made-it-into-br-blue.214061/).

-Peter :)

pdeaves

Established Member
These coaches are, as I understand, not based on any particular prototype but are 'in the style of' pre-grouping things. I find this interesting, as the general trend has been to make things more and more realistic (you even get buffer beam detail on N scale ready-to-run, now). I wonder how many modellers will run the most highly detailed loco in a specific variation to suit its running number, attached to these coaches because they 'look nice'. Yes, it's up to them, but I suspect a contradiction in standards coming up!

(Personally, I am happy with old Hornby, Lima, Airfix, etc., with Hornby's too-high coaches).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
These coaches are, as I understand, not based on any particular prototype but are 'in the style of' pre-grouping things. I find this interesting, as the general trend has been to make things more and more realistic (you even get buffer beam detail on N scale ready-to-run, now). I wonder how many modellers will run the most highly detailed loco in a specific variation to suit its running number, attached to these coaches because they 'look nice'. Yes, it's up to them, but I suspect a contradiction in standards coming up!

(Personally, I am happy with old Hornby, Lima, Airfix, etc., with Hornby's too-high coaches).

Yes. I think there’ll definitely be a market for them and I can also see them providing a base vehicle for people to alter.
As you say, it’s an interesting decision bearing in mind how so many accurate niche models have been produced over the last ten years.

SCH117X

Established Member
The Hornby ones come across as being originally intended to accurate LBSCR coaches but made generic to compete with Hattons. The ends are particularly poor while the solitary footboard fits at an unprototypical height. The 4 wheel full brake is far too long for a LBSCR vehicle and the brake ends are of form that shouts out LBSCR; the Taff Vale and Caledonian did not similar brake ends and I have used a GW liveried one to represent a TVR preserved coach. The Hattons coaches appear far superior and the SECR 3rd would pretty accurate if it was a SECR 2nd instead,

Iskra

Established Member
The Hornby ones come across as being originally intended to accurate LBSCR coaches but made generic to compete with Hattons. The ends are particularly poor while the solitary footboard fits at an unprototypical height. The 4 wheel full brake is far too long for a LBSCR vehicle and the brake ends are of form that shouts out LBSCR; the Taff Vale and Caledonian did not similar brake ends and I have used a GW liveried one to represent a TVR preserved coach. The Hattons coaches appear far superior and the SECR 3rd would pretty accurate if it was a SECR 2nd instead,
That’s interesting! It’s possibly telling that the Hornby version are being discounted already.

SCH117X

Established Member
Virtually all Hornby items are discounted immediately by the major online sellers and sales of these have I understand been good despite their shortcomings. To correct a typo in my previous posting ..."the Taff Vale and Caledonian did have similar brake ends..."

Status
Not open for further replies.