• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Havant to Gatwick Airport advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre999uk

Hi,
My 14 year old nephew defected to aviation a while ago and will probably be doing his work experience at Gatwick Airport.

When he does he will on a couple of days need to do Havant to Shoreham-by-Sea rather than Havant to Gatwick Airport. He also regularly travels at weekends Havant to Pulborough.

Any suggestions as to the best way of doing this?
I thought of a 7 day season Havant - Gatwick Airport with returns Havant - Shoreham-by-Sea on the days required. Hopefully I've remembered correctly and the 7 day season would cover his journeys to Pulborough.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
The 7 day season ticket to Gatwick should be fine and will certainly include Pulborough as it is a stop on the way.

Shoreham by sea is easily reachable by changing at Hove and should be covered too.

As for ticketing, I have messaged you a few suggestions

Harbouring

A season from Havant to Gatwick might be valid to shoreham. A rudimentary look at the routeing guide suggests you can travel via Hove to Gatwick thus stopping short at Shoreham would be acceptable.

Someone with more experience might be able to confirm or a chat at the Havant ticket office perhaps?

Sabre999uk

Thank you both for the replies, much appreciated. I'll pop into Havant and see what they say - they've always been very helpful just hope they still are now it's SWR.

Iggy12a

If your nephew tends to go out with friends to Portsmouth or Southampton, the weekly season from Havant to Gatwick is exactly the same price as the season to Gatwick from these stations, so it may make sense to buy the weekly Portsmouth stations to Gatwick or Southampton Central to Gatwick.

Sabre999uk

Hi, he doesn't tend to go to Southampton (mostly as you never know when the Southern service will stop short and he doesn't like alterations to his routine) and only goes to Portsmouth rarely but that's interesting to know. Any idea why you can travel that much further for the same price seems illogical to me.

Steve

Harbouring

Southern pricing. As long as you travel via Barnham the price to Redhill, Brighton, Eastbourne or Ashford (Southern all the way) is the same.

telstarbox

Established Member
Locations are sometimes clustered together for fares purposes - this reduces the size of the fares database as there are fewer individually priced fares.

Sabre999uk

Thank you all, makes sense - the fares database must be large enough as it is, I guess this is one time simplification actually is easier to understand.

Steve

paul1609

Established Member
A Portsmouth Harbour to Wye Route Barnham season will allow him unlimited travel from Portsmouth Harbour along the coast through Brighton, Eastbourne, Hastings Ashford to Wye or via Horsham, to Gatwick Airport, Redhill, Tonbridge, Ashford or any intermediate station en route for the same price. I would recommend buying the SWR end of the route to Portsmouth if he goes there as in my experience these tickets will never be queried on Southern or Southeastern but will be often queried in the ex SWT area unless the destination is obviously valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.