• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have a Nice Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
It is simply an example of vulgar Americanisation.

Well, the Americans are very nice!

And you hadn't already realised that?

Lol, I do like your comments sometimes, RC (backontrack was actually joking!).

I do like these token 'have a nice day' banners at the exit. It's like a personal message, and it wishes you on to the next destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Lol, I do like your comments sometimes, RC (backontrack was actually joking!).

Oh really? Well I never did.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
YES! RESULT!! :D

Why can't I decide whether to have a "nice day" or not? All an assistant has to do, if they must do something, is to say "goodbye and thank you". Just imagine some 16-yr-old at 9 in the morning wishing you a "nice day" when next on your list is a trip to hospital to find out if that lump's cancer, then your favourite granny's funeral in the afternoon, and when you get home the bailiffs are waiting to take away your television.

"Nice day"? Presumptious codswhallop.

The point is that 16 year old doesn't mean any harm. He or she is just being nice. Such a pity that you don't understand that.

And if the bailiffs are turning up you need to get your finances under control.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Oh well really? Well I never did.

The point is that 16 year old doesn't mean any harm. He or she is just being nice. Such a pity that you don't understand that.

And if the bailiffs are turning up you need to get your finances under control.

It's still presumptious codswhallop, meant well or not.

Established Member
I don't mind being told to have a nice day personally, I think it's polite and I always thank the person who wishes me a nice day and return the sentiment, even if I'm in a bad mood or something has happened that means I won't have a nice day. They're very unlikely to be able to guess how I'm feeling or what's going on in my life (unless I make it obvious) so I feel the least I can do is thank them for being polite.

Just before Christmas I was used the bus to get into the city centre to meet with family from the Isle of Man and when I got off the bus driver was wishing everyone all the best for Christmas and the New Year as they got off, and I made sure when I got home later that day that I sent an email to Arriva to pass on my thanks to the driver. Good customer service isn't all that common, so I feel it should be rewarded accordingly.

Howardh

Established Member
I don't mind being told to have a nice day personally, I think it's polite and I always thank the person who wishes me a nice day and return the sentiment, even if I'm in a bad mood or something has happened that means I won't have a nice day. They're very unlikely to be able to guess how I'm feeling or what's going on in my life (unless I make it obvious) so I feel the least I can do is thank them for being polite.

Just before Christmas I was used the bus to get into the city centre to meet with family from the Isle of Man and when I got off the bus driver was wishing everyone all the best for Christmas and the New Year as they got off, and I made sure when I got home later that day that I sent an email to Arriva to pass on my thanks to the driver. Good customer service isn't all that common, so I feel it should be rewarded accordingly.
There is a time and place.
Stepping off a plane in the heat of a Mediterranean day and the captain says "thank you for flying with us, I hope you have a great holiday!" is the right time and place.
Add to that - Ryanair last October - the captain "thank you for flying blah blah......I am sorry but we appear to have landed 20 minutes early, I do hope that hasn't inconvenienced you too much" (and I think he was serious...)!

And then there's picking up your spuds and leaving the shop when it's throwing it down, "have a nice day" isn't the right thing to say. "Thanks for shopping with us in this appalling weather" might bring a smile.

Might!!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Yes indeed, from me, mostly!

I think you're being harsh on yourself :)
And then there's picking up your spuds and leaving the shop when it's throwing it down, "have a nice day" isn't the right thing to say. "Thanks for shopping with us in this appalling weather" might bring a smile.

Might!!

However they're just as likely to get wet as you are! And you can still have a nice day even if the weather is rubbish!

Howardh

Established Member
I think you're being harsh on yourself :)

However they're just as likely to get wet as you are! And you can still have a nice day even if the weather is rubbish!

Strangely enough I've had many a nice day at Old Trafford when it's been pouring down. Last day, Lancs strugging (no change there) and the weather meaning the day's abandoned at 4pm and Lancashire escape with a draw - and the bar's open all day.
Leave with a double smile:D:D

Welshman

Established Member
I don't mind being wished "Have a nice day now" because I know what my response should be, usually on the lines of "Thank you. You have a nice day too"

What floors me is "There you go now" I don't know the response to this.

It always sounds very patronising, on the lines of something a mother might say to her 5 -year old on giving him a sweet.

So when I, a 68-year old, hear it from a young bank teller 1/3 of my age, I don't know what I'm supposed to say.

backontrack

Established Member
Oh really. Well I would never have guessed!

What authority do you have to post that? Oh wait that's none at all.

Trump may have been elected, and far-right politics may be on the rise, but I am sure that free speech is still a thing.

prod_pep

Established Member
It's an Americanism, but one of the more acceptable ones. I don't hear "Have a nice day" often but when I do, the people saying it always mean well. My response is generally something like: "Thank you, you too."

<pedantry>
I'll take "Have a nice day" over far less palatable Americanisms like "gotten", "reaching out", "my bad" and many more.
</pedantry>

backontrack

Established Member
It's an Americanism, but one of the more acceptable ones. I don't hear "Have a nice day" often but when I do, the people saying it always mean well. My response is generally something like: "Thank you, you too."

<pedantry>
I'll take "Have a nice day" over far less palatable Americanisms like "gotten", "reaching out", "my bad" and many more.
</pedantry>

Or 'slippy'. Don't get me started on 'slippy'.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I have no problem with "Have a nice day". However it really grinds my gears when a checkout person says "See you later", because if they do see me later it means I'd forgotten something!

Established Member
There is a time and place.
Stepping off a plane in the heat of a Mediterranean day and the captain says "thank you for flying with us, I hope you have a great holiday!" is the right time and place.
Add to that - Ryanair last October - the captain "thank you for flying blah blah......I am sorry but we appear to have landed 20 minutes early, I do hope that hasn't inconvenienced you too much" (and I think he was serious...)!

Might!!

It's personal opinion, however I think it is perfectly acceptable to be wished a nice day at the checkout of a shop or supermarket. It's good customer service and it's good manners. What is wrong exactly with the checkout assistant being polite and wishing you a nice day? You'd complain if they were rude to you or didn't say please and thank you when they asked for the money, so what's wrong with them saying "have a nice day"?.

Darandio

Established Member
YES! RESULT!! :D

Why can't I decide whether to have a "nice day" or not? All an assistant has to do, if they must do something, is to say "goodbye and thank you". Just imagine some 16-yr-old at 9 in the morning wishing you a "nice day" when next on your list is a trip to hospital to find out if that lump's cancer, then your favourite granny's funeral in the afternoon, and when you get home the bailiffs are waiting to take away your television.

"Nice day"? Presumptious codswhallop.

What if I say 'Good Morning'? From what is written above, it obviously wouldn't be a good morning, would it? But that isn't my fault.

Yet another rubbish thread.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
... I'll take "Have a nice day" over far less palatable Americanisms like "gotten", "reaching out", "my bad" and many more.
</pedantry>

Ah, the dreaded 'my bad'. 'Your bad what?' is the reaction to that. It's not even a shortening of anything remotely grammatically correct either here or in the US.
Also, the current answer to the courteous question "how are you?" seems to be "I'm good". Isn't it immodest to make an assertion like that or is this newspeak designed to boost an inadequate self-esteem? My (unspoken) response is "let me be the judge of that".
If people aren't comfortable with the traditional answer of "I'm fine", why can't they just say that they "feel good" which is polite and meaningful.

fowler9

Established Member
Just wondering what members opinions are on this saying. Shop people often say when you have purchased something at the till "Have a Nice Day". It may be thought of as complementary and as a kind greeting but somebody I know had lost their father earlier that day and I can assure you it didn't go down very well. Personally, it annoys me anyway whatever the intentions.

Would you rather staff said what they really thought, like "F*ck you".
I got to the till at Morrisons and as the girl looked up I said "please don't say anything" - and throughout the whole transaction she didn't, not a "have you a club card" or have a nice..."

At the end I turned round and said "thank you for that excellent service, I shall commend you to the manager" and her face beamed.

You sounded like a hitman. She was probably relieved not to be dead. Go you.
I'm afraid you are totally wrong. It certainly wasn't a nasty comment, abrupt or anything but a pleasant demeanor, said with a smile on my face and certainly wasn't the forerunner to anything illegal.

I will take your comment as a slur on my character. Would you like to back up the emboldened words with evidence or apologise?

You sounded like a hitman. Sorry if you take that as a slur. Can I be honest with you, when someone politely tells me not to say anything nice to them it is a massive smack in the face. It is like "I know you are lying". Well you know nothing about me.
As a cashier, what a miserable bunch of sods you all are l!

Amen. Ha ha. :D
At the end of the day what does my head in when I go i a shop or do anything is having to deal with people with a smacked bum face who doesn't seem to care what they are doing or why. Yeah your job might be rubbish, mine is, but we all have to live in this world together. Do what you can to put a smile on someones face.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Jeez...It may be January but ranting about someone wishing you a nice day?! I can't believe so many forum members feel so strongly about it. I feel angry, depressed and losing hope for humanity reading this thread!

It's the done thing to wish someone a nice day while you're manning a checkout. Granted, I suspect not many of you have done so on a regular basis. However, most of us do *try* to inject some personality into the conversation, especially the more old-school of us. Even just mixing it up with "have a good afternoon/rest of your morning/evening", "take care" or similar is better than nothing. However, I'm expecting to hear soon why all that is wrong too!

You have to realise we don't just say these things for fun, it is common company policy to do so. Quite frankly, most of us would be happy to just whizz everything through, take payment and see you leave. Especially miserable people, jeez that can be soul destroying dealing with such hateful people that you can come across.

The quicker we convert all checkouts in supermarkets to self-scan lanes the better in my eyes. It's so much more efficient that it should happen as soon as possible. It won't happen for a couple of generations I suspect though.

fowler9

Established Member
I agree Tech. I know that everyone is different but in some of my darkest moments I have had a smile put on my face by a member of staff somewhere.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I used to work for a large well known supermarket chain, in one of their convenience stores, and the discussion you have with customers changes depending on who they are and many factors come together to work out what you're going to be talking about.

Is it going to be a "Hiya, you alright? Just the paper?" or are they a regular customer who wants to get to know you? Are you going to be challenging them for some ID because they're buying ages restricted products? Where in the conversation are you going to ask that? Are they a customer who stands on the phone whilst you're scanning their shopping, is the only thing you're going to actually say the total it comes to? Did you want to buy a bag?

I was never restricted on what I could talk about with customers, how I had to greet them or how to say farewell - it's a bit of personality and allows us to be human.

To be honest, I'm behind the till I couldn't care less about what you're doing but it makes that monotonous 'beep beep, have you a loyalty card?' that little bit more interesting.

It works both ways! Have a nice day :smile:

TP

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I have no problem with "Have a nice day". However it really grinds my gears when a checkout person says "See you later", because if they do see me later it means I'd forgotten something!

I too find the current practice (I had hoped it was only a local phenomenon) of a valedictory "See you later" strangely irritating.

I will admit to having been occasionally tempted to respond to some young Barbie at a drive through "What time do you finish work then?" to see the look of horror on her face <D

(Haven't; wouldn't). :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.