• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have fares for ALRs , other Rover tickets ,etc gone up today 2/1/2019 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylandLen

Just looked at prices for All Line Rovers for 7 and 14 days this year, 2019. Using NRE . No updates to prices since last November.So I assume 2019 prices are the same. ? Have prices for the many Ranger / Rover tickets been increased? Who sets the cost of ALRs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peri

The North Country, North East and North West Rovers have all increased.
The starting time has moved from 08.45 up to 09.00 as well.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Taken from http://www.railrover.org/

2019 updates
(fares quoted are adult standard class):
The 7 day All Line Rover has increased by 3.1% and is now £526
Anglia Plus has increased by a whopping 26%, the day ranger by £5 to £24 and the 3 in 7 by £10 to £48.
The Wherry and Bittern rangers have increased by 22% to £11
Scotrail have also introduced inflation-busting increases: Central Scotland Rover up by 25% from £39 to £49; Highland Rover up by 4.8% from £85 to £89; The Edinburgh and Glasgow Days Out have been discontinued due to poor sales.
The Devon Evening Ranger has been discontinued
Northern have altered validity times on their rovers and rangers to be valid from 09:00 instead of 08:45 (except for those valid anytime)

So the only price increases are to the Scottish rovers (the discontinued Days out passes is annoying as I was planning to use an Edinburgh one in a couple weeks time), the ALR & the Anglian rovers.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Well no wonder, nobody knows how to buy them...

I bought one in August - using the mobile app - seemed fine - they appear to have been discontinued in December as I was unable to buy one then online and had to buy a Central Scotland Rover instead.

Shame. They don't really seem to have given much time for the Days Out tickets to become established.

superalbs

Established Member
I bought one in August - using the mobile app - seemed fine - they appear to have been discontinued in December as I was unable to buy one then online and had to buy a Central Scotland Rover instead.

Shame. They don't really seem to have given much time for the Days Out tickets to become established.
Tried to buy one on-board, not possible. Thankfully guard was understanding, and allowed purchase at destination station.

Shame to see them out, and I agree they needed longer (did they even have a year?), oh well! :(

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Northern's change to 9:00 seems like a stealth rise. There are definitely odd occasions where being able to start at 8:45 has made a huge difference, due to some of the very sparse timetables in these parts.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There should be relaxations on routes with sparse timetables, especially if travelling against the main traffic flow.

robbeech

Established Member
I bought an Anglia Plus day ranger yesterday at the new price (actually 2 with a two together railcard). There were a group of people outside Norwich station with boards and leaflets highlighting their concerns about the railway. The lady in the ticket office apologised profusely and asked if I still wanted the tickets given such a ‘ridiculous price rise’ to use her words.
I did indeed still want the tickets but with that kind of rise I can understand why it would put some people off.

robbeech

Established Member
There should be relaxations on routes with sparse timetables, especially if travelling against the main traffic flow.
I agree with the concept but the implementation would add yet another level of complexity to things, and another level of inconsistency between staff when some would allow travel and some would have you prosecuted.

LeylandLen

Thanks for all the replies to my initial question ; plenty to think about as to what to in 2019.I now know that starting time for various Rovers/Rangers here in Northern land is now 0900, was 0845.This dissapoints me, sometimes that 0845 start was very useful/.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Thames Rover:
3-day version £50.80 to £52.50 (3.3% increase)
7-day version £92.90 to £95 (2.3% increase)

Thames Branches Day Ranger: £20.60 to £21.50 (4.4% increase)

(All percentages to nearest 1 decimal point)

Joe Paxton

Established Member
I agree with the concept but the implementation would add yet another level of complexity to things, and another level of inconsistency between staff when some would allow travel and some would have you prosecuted.

The Network Railcard has a number of well established easements permitting use before 10am, and staff all seem well aware of these. So it's doable.

Temple Meads

Established Member
The Devon Evening Ranger is a sad loss, a very useful ticket for those of us in this area.

James Wake

Interesting that an All Line Rover costs £336 with a 26-30 railcard but £347 with a 16-25 unless thats a mistake and the old price?

cactustwirly

Established Member
Interesting that an All Line Rover costs £336 with a 26-30 railcard but £347 with a 16-25 unless thats a mistake and the old price?

Still a massive rip off!
A 7 day global interrail pass is £240 for a Youth!

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Does anyone actually buy ALRs anymore?
Given that they're so expensive!
A 3 month continuous Interrail pass is cheaper than a 14 day ALR, and is a lot more interesting (loads more LHCS, and much better scenery!)

Rover

It must be an error, £336 .60 is the old price. The 14 day prices are the same for both railcards at £525.35

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The Devon Evening Ranger is a sad loss, a very useful ticket for those of us in this area.

It was too cheap that was the problem.

That kind of begs the question as to what it was too cheap for. Perhaps too cheap in the pricing manager's eyes for someone travelling from one extremity to another but maybe not too cheap for encouraging evening travel over shorter distances.

The obvious reason for withdrawing a ticket would be if you thought that the customer base is so established now that it can support a higher priced alternative or there is abuse of the ticket. Is the thought that withdrawing it will have no impact on the passenger numbers?

Rovers and rangers seem to go in and out of favour. Presumably some pricing managers see them as a useful tool and others loathe them as effectively giving away travel at too low a price.

Dannys

South Yorkshire Railmaster monthly which has increased by £10 from £79.30 to £89.30 (+12.6%)

Other South Yorkshire rover tickets have increased. Mostly by around 2-3%

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anyone actually buy ALRs anymore?
It makes no sense to purchase one; you may as well throw money in the bin.

I pay less than the cost of a 7 day standard class ALR for travel from York to various countries in Europe, including some in 1st class, accommodation etc on better trains.

There are so few decent trains left in the UK anyway.

Some area based products in the UK are decent value, but the ALR isn't one of them.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Wow a 3 month continuous 1st class Interrail global pass is €1,202!
A 14 day first class ALR is £1,212!

Richard1960

I bought an Anglia Plus day ranger yesterday at the new price (actually 2 with a two together railcard). There were a group of people outside Norwich station with boards and leaflets highlighting their concerns about the railway. The lady in the ticket office apologised profusely and asked if I still wanted the tickets given such a ‘ridiculous price rise’ to use her words.
I did indeed still want the tickets but with that kind of rise I can understand why it would put some people off.

I travel on my own so no railcard for me bought one at Ely yesterday 25% price increase on both the Anglia Plus Day Rover and the Three in 7 Flexi rover ,thats how to fill off peak GA rural trains .fewer trips for me in that direction this year. Day rover up from £19 to £24 the Flexi up from £37 to a whopping £48.

Ianigsy

Northern's change to 9:00 seems like a stealth rise. There are definitely odd occasions where being able to start at 8:45 has made a huge difference, due to some of the very sparse timetables in these parts.

A major one would have been the 0845 Leeds-Carlisle, which now runs at 0919. I'm guessing that with more people working flexible hours, the concern is not to price it so it undercuts weekly seasons, or (say) three return trips a week.

It always strikes me as odd when rangers are withdrawn due to lack of use- it's not as if it needs much effort to keep these things on the system and just update the fare once a year.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A major one would have been the 0845 Leeds-Carlisle, which now runs at 0919. I'm guessing that with more people working flexible hours, the concern is not to price it so it undercuts weekly seasons, or (say) three return trips a week.

It always strikes me as odd when rangers are withdrawn due to lack of use- it's not as if it needs much effort to keep these things on the system and just update the fare once a year.

Ah well, that's perhaps not so bad in that case !

Status
Not open for further replies.