• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have Leave lost their Visual Presence since the referendum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Evening all

I'm currently doing a uni essay on Brexit and graphic design and I'm trying to establish the graphical and media trends of both camps. I've created a short survey (9 questions) and would much appreciate if people could fill it in, don't worry you don't have to be a designer to fill it in. https://forms.gle/VFV3k1xxDeFPuNtU8

Also I'm curious about peoples written responses so any discussion about this below would be appreciated.

Lastly you maybe asked to log into your Google account, however your responses are anonymous, the login is mostly to prevent people from filling out the form twice.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

43021HST

Established Member
As an update, this ties in with my overall hypotheses of does a political cause after they've won, loose the publics imagination, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
As one bit of feedback... I just went to the survey, and was rather puzzled by the four questions of: Do you think there's, more or less Leave/Remain, print/social media. It seems to me there's only one possible answer to all four questions: Much less. And the reason is obvious: Starting on the very day after the referendum, there was instantly much less literature from both camps because we were no longer in the middle of a campaign, and there were no longer any votes to be pursuaded. That's no different from the way - for example, I - as an active Labour member- may well will be out canvassing and leafletting several times a week when there's a general election on. But as soon as the election is over, that drops to maybe once every couple of months.

So the answer of 'less' seems to me so obvious for all four of your questions that I'm wondering whether the way the questions were phrased (or at least, how I understood them) really reflects your intention, or whether you meant something else.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I don’t understand what you are trying to do or why. The referendum took place 2 ½ years ago. Why would parties involved in it still be campaigning? There was a vote, there was a result and it is just a very small, incredibly noisy, minority who want to rehash the same arguments ad infinitum.

nlogax

Established Member
I've just looked at the questions..I think I can vaguely see where you're going with this, but imo any answers you receive will be biased depending on whether the respondee voted Leave or Remain. Even in the largely uncontroversial field of visual presence.

If it helps any, all of today's utterings by the ERG should be published in Comic Sans. That's all the design consideration their messages and outbursts merit. But I'm biased :p

Essan

My experience is that since the referendum there has been little from the Leave side, but a lot of complaining from the Remain side.

But perhaps to be expected? Those who win are content with the outcome, those who lost hold a grievance, a wound that can only be healed by the decision being over-turned. It was the same with Scottish Indyref (I have some friends who'll be moaning about that for many decades after they are dead!)

It'll be interesting to see what happens now, with the growing possibility that the UK will not leave the EU after all - if so, I expect things to reverse quite quickly, with pro-Leavers coming back to the fore. Moaning ....

43021HST

Established Member
As one bit of feedback... I just went to the survey, and was rather puzzled by the four questions of: Do you think there's, more or less Leave/Remain, print/social media. It seems to me there's only one possible answer to all four questions: Much less. And the reason is obvious: Starting on the very day after the referendum, there was instantly much less literature from both camps because we were no longer in the middle of a campaign, and there were no longer any votes to be pursuaded. That's no different from the way - for example, I - as an active Labour member- may well will be out canvassing and leafletting several times a week when there's a general election on. But as soon as the election is over, that drops to maybe once every couple of months.

So the answer of 'less' seems to me so obvious for all four of your questions that I'm wondering whether the way the questions were phrased (or at least, how I understood them) really reflects your intention, or whether you meant something else.

Thanks for the responses all, however initially I would have thought the same, I spend a lot of time in London and I've noticed there's a glut of remain posters that have popped up in the past few months and so I was wondering if there was the leave equivalent in the leave voting areas. At the time of the referendum, I felt the Visual material from the Remain camp was lack lustre, however has improved, whereas the stuff from leave has declined. Unlike a general election, Brexit is a gradual process requiring on going grass roots support, I personally think it's foolish to only create visual material at the time of the referendum and then leave it after.

The approach of abandoning visual material maybe applicable to General elections, but not for ongoing political decisions/movements.

Lastly apologies for my all round terrible wording, I have a habit of writing these things when I'm either knackered or distracted.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
At the time of the referendum, I felt the Visual material from the Remain camp was lack lustre.
Possibly an understatement. Too much reliance on the government's (inevitably dull) junk mail. I can't remember any of it.
Lastly you maybe asked to log into your Google account, however your responses are anonymous, the login is mostly to prevent people from filling out the form twice.
I didn't - so those, like me, who haven't got a Google account* shouldn't be put off. I promise not to complete it twice!

* - or if I have I don't know about it. Too many accounts!

Status
Not open for further replies.