• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have parts of Scotland become no go areas for English people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cambus731

Has the run up to the referendum, and fall out from it, stirred up strong anti English sentiments in some places such as Glasgow or Dundee etc?
Has anyone found a change in attitude to the English in some places?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Er, no.

There is strong anti English sentiment (mainly anti the English establishment), but not of the kind that would result in you getting attacked, IMO.

Antman

Established Member
Has the run up to the referendum, and fall out from it, stirred up strong anti English sentiments in some places such as Glasgow or Dundee etc?

I've never had any animosity north of the border despite my English accent

cb a1

As a proud Englishman living in Dundee and working in Glasgow (commuting by train between the two), I can say with my hand on heart that I've never come across any anti-English sentiment.

Anti-Westminster - Yes. Anti-Tory / Labour / SNP / Lib Dem * (delete as appropriate) - Yes. Anti any number of football teams (especially England) - Yes.

But actual anti-English - not once.

Ken Hunter

As a proud Englishman living in Dundee and working in Glasgow (commuting by train between the two), I can say with my hand on heart that I've never come across any anti-English sentiment.

Anti-Westminster - Yes. Anti-Tory / Labour / SNP / Lib Dem * (delete as appropriate) - Yes. Anti any number of football teams (especially England) - Yes.

But actual anti-English - not once.

Most of the so called anti English sentiment is in the minds of the likes of the Daily Mail etc.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Only ever had positive experiences whilst in Scotland lovely place and the Scots are lovely people (on the whole obviously there are bad eggs but then that is true of everywhere!). I would suggest that suggesting part of Scotland have become no-go areas is the same as Fox News suggesting Birmingham is a no-go zone for non-Muslims!

Sure I've come across anti-Westminster/government attitudes but then I come across those where I live in the North East of England!

Johnny_w

I was in Scotland the day before and after the vote. Not one thing ever got said
or felt was anti English (and I'm an Essex boy.. easily mistaken for a 'london' accent)

the whole Scottish thing, I believe, was & is Anti-Parliament. Not Anti-English.

And who can bloody blame them.

JW

DarloRich

Veteran Member

no - not from my personal experience

AM9

Veteran Member
no - not from my personal experience

I've worked up there and with Scots people for many years, mainly in Fife and edinburgh. Never had issues at all.
From my experience, there's more animosity between Protestants and Catholics in a few places. Not as violent as Northern Ireland was but just as insidious.

Last edited:

cb a1

In addition to my earlier reply, have there been strong anti Scottish sentiments stirred up in England?

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
In addition to my earlier reply, have there been strong anti Scottish sentiments stirred up in England?

Yes...during the election! Cameron et al seemed to imply that Nicola Sturgeon was a cross between Saddam Hussein and Josef Stalin. (and this was followed through in the media). I felt totally bemused by it!

talltim

Established Member
Yes...during the election! Cameron et al seemed to imply that Nicola Sturgeon was a cross between Saddam Hussein and Josef Stalin. (and this was followed through in the media). I felt totally bemused by it!
It must be her moustache that caused that...:roll:

St Rollox

I live in one of the poorest parts of Glasgow.
The World Health Organization put us below the Gaza Strip in terms of life expectancy.
My daughter in law is from Plymouth plus her three beautiful children from her first marriage.
Their as much part of Glasgow as Taggart is.
My local football team's assistant manager is from Preston, smashing bloke.
Anti English feeling, not in my little part of Glasgow.

Established Member
I've never had any problems in Scotland - in fact I've always felt very welcome

me123

Established Member

Absolutely not. I live and work alongside plenty of English people, and have done so both before and after the referendum. I can honestly say that the relationship between the Scottish and English living in Scotland has not changed in the slightest. I have not noticed any change in attitude towards the English or any change in our relationship in a day-to-day level. At last, not in Scotland.

By contrast, if we're looking at "big picture" trends, I would say it's been the attitude of England towards the Scots that has been more negative over the course of the last year. It's not universal by any stretch of the imagination - most English people have been friendly and hospitable, as always. But the media in the past year seems to perpetually have slurs against the Scottish (the Daily Mail's front page always has at least one at the moment). Sadly, the last time I was in London (for only about 36h in total), I was subjected to relatively mild, but deeply hurtful verbal abuse on three occasions (the first time being told to "f*** off back to Scotland you sweaty Jock" - because I couldn't give a man directions). This is, of course, not the behaviour of the majority. Not by any stretch of the imagination. But I find it concerning that, whilst I've thankfully seen very little aggression towards the English in Scotland (where the problem is said by some to lie), my personal experience in England has been more negative.

I am a proud Yes voter. I am a proud Scot. I do not identify as British. And lots of people in Scotland share my views. However, this does not mean that I hate English people. Of course, there are a faction of Scottish nationalists who behave in a reprehensible manner to English people - it sadly does happen, and I abhor their behaviour. However, they only speak for a small minority.

There is strong anti English sentiment (mainly anti the English establishment), but not of the kind that would result in you getting attacked, IMO.

No there's not. There's frustration and anger at Westminster and some aspects of the "establishment". There is realistically no strong negative feelings against the English as a people, or England as a country. It's worth remembering that the "Yes" campaign did not seek to simply cut ties with England, however wanted to develop a future where an independent Scotland would work closely with an independent rUK as two independent, but friendly, countries.

Most of the so called anti English sentiment is in the minds of the likes of the Daily Mail etc.

Exactly. Anyone who lives in Scotland will not recognise the land that is portrayed in some aspects of the media today.

As St Rollox has said, Scotland (and my home city of Glasgow in particular) is very welcoming to people from all over the world, including England. One does not need to be born in Glasgow to be considered a Glaswegian, one needs only to embrace its city and its people and you will be considered an "adoptive Glaswegian" as it were.

The referendum coverage in England has completely missed the point. Us nationalists have been portrayed as wanting to amputate England, almost like a gangrenous limb. This is not the case. Yes voters were more interested in home rule than they were in simply distancing themselves from the English.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
. I am a proud Scot. I do not identify as British. And lots of people in Scotland share my views. However, this does not mean that I hate English people. Of course, there are a faction of Scottish nationalists who behave in a reprehensible manner to English people - it sadly does happen, and I abhor their behaviour. However, they only speak for a small minority.

I know this thread is about Scotland (and I've never noticed any antipathy there) but you could also replace 'Scotland' with 'Wales' in Me123's comments and the same will apply, and as he also comments, there is a great antipathy towards the English' establishment amongst many Welsh people. Of course, anti English feeling really does occur in Sport, especially Rugby, and many people I know will always support England's opponents in Football.
I recently tried to get a friend to come to the Test Match in Cardiff with us...but he couldn't bring himself to support England at at Sport!

deltic1989

Established Member
As a born and bred Englishman I have to say that on occasions I have felt more welcome in Scotland than I have in some parts of England.
I was in Inverness last week when I had cause to visit a local newsagents to replenish my supply of tobacco and energy drink. The shop keep was chatting to his mate, in a rapid scots brogue, which sounded a little like machine gun fire. If I'm honest I didn't catch a word, and started to wonder how the rest of the visit would pan out.
No worries however, on hearing my Northern English Accent the lovely fellow slowed down, asked how I was enjoying Scotland, troubled himself to look for an English Fiver for my change, and in general couldn't have been more pleasant.
In contrast my own experience (yours may vary and no offence is meant to any of my fellow forum members) is that some parts of Wales can be problem areas for English people. One time a couple of people whom I heard speaking freely in perfect English, switched to Welsh on hearing me speak, and I enquired of a man what a bit of graffiti meant (as it was in Welsh), and he said the general gist was "Eff off English", though why that would be written in Welsh is a matter to ponder.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
No, most definitely not. The Scots are some of the warmest, friendliest people in the UK.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
In contrast my own experience (yours may vary and no offence is meant to any of my fellow forum members) is that some parts of Wales can be problem areas for English people. One time a couple of people whom I heard speaking freely in perfect English, switched to Welsh on hearing me speak, and I enquired of a man what a bit of graffiti meant (as it was in Welsh), and he said the general gist was "Eff off English", though why that would be written in Welsh is a matter to ponder.

That's not unusual.

Liam

Established Member
Of course, anti English feeling really does occur in Sport, especially Rugby, and many people I know will always support England's opponents in Football.

I've never understood why some people get so hung up on this matter. It's a local rivalry. Did Spurs supporters want Arsenal to win the cup final? I suspect not.

meridian2

The classic example, of course, being Andy Murray, where there is a substantial division in the support he gets between those seeing him as a 'Scottish tennis player' and a 'British tennis player', implying that the former is somehow pejorative (which it isn't). I've never understood this division, but it is proof that the 'large parts of Scotland are anti-English' works both ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
A friend of mine spent a year working in Glasgow about 5 years ago and he said that he experienced a fair bit of anti Englishness including a brick through the window of the house he was renting along with another house which was owned by an English couple, and he was a quiet bloke who wouldn't try to antagonise people.

I'm Scottish on my mothers side but have never lived in Scotland and haven't personally experienced any anti Englishness while in Scotland, but I don't have much time for the politics of the nationalists be they Scottish, Welsh or English, I just think they are devise. I consider myself to be British first and many people in other parts of England complain about a London centric Government but they can not try the excuse they are a different country.

There is a house not far from me, (located in Yorkshire) who fly the Scottish flag in the back garden I wonder in how parts of Scotland you could fly the English flag in the back garden without it coming to some harm? and possibly even the Union flag for that matter?

Last edited:

Strathclyder

Established Member
One does not need to be born in Glasgow to be considered a Glaswegian, one needs only to embrace its city and its people and you will be considered an "adoptive Glaswegian" as it were.
Indeed. I was born in Stevenage, Hertforshire (to a Scottish family) and currently live in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire (8 miles west of Glasgow itself).
After nearly 18 years of living here, I'm just as happy to call myself a 'adoptive Glaswegian' as well as a 'Bankie' (the term often used for people hailing from Clydebank).

Answering the original OP - No, have not seen any change in the attitude towards the English here.

Last edited:

chorleyjeff

No.
No doubt Scotland will have the normal share of chauvinists and bigots but on a personal level during my stays on Scottish islands my Englishness has yet to attract hostility. Bit surprising really given the relatively high number ( in real terms a small number) of English settlers on at least some of the islands who must be upsetting the established order.

me123

Established Member
A friend of mine spent a year working in Glasgow about 5 years ago and he said that he experienced a fair bit of anti Englishness including a brick through the window of the house he was renting along with another house which was owned by an English couple, and he was a quiet bloke who wouldn't try to antagonise people.

I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't know what part of Glasgow that was in. It certainly isn't behaviour that the vast majority of people in Glasgow would condone, and I abhor it. On behalf of my home city and country, I would like to sincerely apologise for this incident, which I would suspect is down to a small but nevertheless intimidating minority in that particular area. Most English people living in Scotland have no problems whatsoever, and are welcomed with open arms. However, I cannot ignore that there are a small number whose behaviour towards the English is reprehensible. It is not a big problem - certainly nowhere near the 45% figure that would be claimed by the Daily Mail, but it does exist and we must act to stop it whenever we see it.

In balance, it may not necessarily be related to his English identity (based on what little information I have). There's plenty of parts of Glasgow where having a brick thrown at your window is just a standard part of life!

There is a house not far from me, (located in Yorkshire) who fly the Scottish flag in the back garden I wonder in how parts of Scotland you could fly the English flag in the back garden without it coming to some harm? and possibly even the Union flag for that matter?

Union Flag will not get a second glance. Hundreds of them fly across Scotland every day.

English flag... I'm not so sure. I don't think you'd come to harm, but it wouldn't generally be well received. Most instances I've seen have been around the time of the World Cup. To someone not living in England, the endless drivel from the English Broadcasting Corporation talking constantly about 1966, the fact that England are going to win the World Cup, and then the endless analysis when they inevitably do not. (This is in parallel to the situation in Scotland, where we don't even get into the competition so can be saved from this drivel!).

Unfortunately, the English have allowed their flag to become a symbol for many extremist groups. Generally, the Union Flag is flown in England much more commonly than the St George's Cross is, so when the English flag is used. Groups such as the EDL have been able to "hijack" the flag for their own vile means. I came across an article that was published a while back saying that a quarter of English think their flag is a "racist symbol". I don't like that this is the case, but it is a widely used symbol of extremism.

In general, if I had to say one thing that annoyed me about England, it's that the country doesn't seem to take enough pride in itself. England is a fantastic country, with a rich history and lots to offer. However, it hides behind the label of "Britishness" and often refuses to stand up and be proud to be English. And this is why lots of us in Scotland don't feel British - because you've actually gone and made Britishness Englishness, and I don't have any connection to huge aspects of British/English cultural identity. I wish you guys would be more proud of yourselves and your identity.

Johnuk123

Established Member
No.
No doubt Scotland will have the normal share of chauvinists and bigots but on a personal level during my stays on Scottish islands my Englishness has yet to attract hostility. Bit surprising really given the relatively high number ( in real terms a small number) of English settlers on at least some of the islands who must be upsetting the established order.

I owned a house on Tiree for 15 years and you're right about the friendliness of the western Isles.
When I used to stay on Tiree regularly they had their first crime for about 20 years. Somebody had stolen some drink from a shop overnight.
When a Mull policeman came over for his monthly visit as Tiree has no police he asked if there were any strangers on the island.
There was a little gang of Irish builders working on the airstrip all staying at the same B&B.
The policeman went to see them and told them he knew they'd done the crime and to own up. One immediately admitted the theft, when he asked how the policeman knew he was told that crime was only committed by outsiders and then hardly ever so it didn't take much working out.
I assume it will still be the same.

When you take the passenger ferry out of Tiree you would normally leave your vehicle on the dock with the keys in and open.
Locals would sometimes just borrow your car and bring it back often with more petrol in than when you left it.I found this astonishing but that's how it is, the locals see it as normal and I doubt it's changed.

The difference between those islands and Glasgow and Edinburgh is massive though and those places just aren't the same.

I was amazed at how so few big city dwellers in Scotland have actually explored North and West of their own country but have spent plenty of time in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.