• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have Penrith, Thirsk, Yarm and Northallerton ever been a 'Northern' station?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
The Northern network map shows that Penrith, Thirsk, Yarm and Northallerton are not served. Northern services are to stations before and after them from different lines.

How long have these 4 stations not had a 'Northern' or their predecessor service for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
How long have these 4 stations not had a 'Northern' or their predecessor service for?
Penrith has most likely never had a 'Northern' service in the timeframe for which it would be relevant

In the late 90s / early 2000s, before the TransPennine service to Middlesbrough went hourly, Thirsk, Northallerton and Yarm were served in alternate hours by Middlesbrough to Manchester Airport and Newcastle to York via Hartlepool and Middlesbrough services. While all run by Northern Spirit, the latter would run with pacers so could arguably be seen as a 'Northern' service.

Gathursty

Established Member
I think I've also missed out Eaglescliffe/Egglescliffe however it is spelt.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I think I've also missed out Eaglescliffe/Egglescliffe however it is spelt.
Eaglescliffe is served by Northern services all day every day between Darlington and Saltburn. The junction between the Yarm and Darlington routes is immediately south of the station.

Gathursty

Established Member
Eaglescliffe is served by Northern services all day every day between Darlington and Saltburn. The junction between the Yarm and Darlington routes is immediately south of the station.
Yes you are right. I thought it was after the Junction like Allen's West.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think they would have been classed as Regional under the BR sectors in the 1980s.
But then, IIRC, so were Liverpool Lime St and Leeds, as Regional was the majority user of these stations.
That might have changed when full sectorisation came in c1992, when the BR Regions were abolished.
The newly privatised TOCs (except XC) later took over stations on their lines of route, and there were continual changes as the franchise map changed.
Network Rail also gradually took control of more big stations, including Lime St, Leeds and others.
No doubt it will all change again under GBR.

Galvanize

Penrith as I understand was almost going to be served by Northern’s predecessor First NorthWestern in the late 1990s. FNW planned to run a service from Crewe to Carlisle calling at most of the intermediate stations, and formed of a Class 309 EMU. For various reasons it never got off the ground!

Status
Not open for further replies.