• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have ROG ordered their class 93’s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry if there is a separate forum already set up, but does anybody know if the ROG 93’s have been ordered? It seems to have gone all very quiet without much news considering the amount of press activity originally around the launch of bi modes! Very quiet.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
I believe the original info said that the first 93 was scheduled for delivery in August 2020, as such I can't see much coming from them for a few months yet

interesting, but the bodyshells should in theory be manufactured now? i would have thought that in light of the first being delivered within a year, then progress should be being made.........?

ExRes

Established Member
I'm sure things will be progressing but there seems little reason to make announcements when there's really nothing to announce, one problem with social media is that people expect to get regular updates but why would Stadler or ROG update a work in progress unless there's actually something worthwhile to present? all will be revealed in due course to a dry ice display and overly loud music ....

I believe the original thread was called something like Class 93 not IC250, hope that helps

pdeaves

Established Member
I'm sure things will be progressing but there seems little reason to make announcements when there's really nothing to announce, one problem with social media is that people expect to get regular updates but why would Stadler or ROG update a work in progress unless there's actually something worthwhile to present? all will be revealed in due course to a dry ice display and overly loud music ....
Presumably that means construction is under way, in which case they have been ordered (the original question), yes?

themiller

https://railcolornews.com/2018/12/1...n-tri-mode-uk-light-locomotives-from-stadler/
‘Ten tri-mode locomotives are being ordered by Rail Operations (UK) Limited, in a deal worth more than £40 million.

At this moment the new type of locomotives is labelled ‘Class 93’ and it will be part of Stadler Rail’s family of UK locomotives. An overview:

• Class 68 = UKLight diesel 2.8 MW > 3 batches (15+10+7) of in total 32 locomotives Beacon Rail > DRS
  • Class 88 = UKdual AC electric 4MW + diesel 0.7MW > 10 locomotives for Beacon Rail > DRS
  • Class 93 = AC electric + diesel + LTO battery > 10 locomotives for Beacon Rail > ROL

Last edited by a moderator:

ExRes

Established Member
It seems that Karl Watts is giving a talk on 30th September to the Institution of Railway Operators on how ROG was started up, its development and current operations, the Class 93 order will also be discussed so there may be some answers to the if, what, where and when questions

hooverboy

On Moderation
apart from the high route availability they seem like they will be quite versatile

ExRes

Established Member
Karl Watts will be giving his IRO lecture this evening, weather permitting I suppose, so there may be some news avaiable soon regarding the state of play with the 93 order, we shall see .......

ExRes

Established Member
There doesn't seem to have been any obvious feedback from the IRO lecture a month ago, rumour has it that there is/will be an article in the latest Modern Railway magazine, does anyone on here take the MR or perhaps have heard what KW said on the evening? The only thing I've heard is that delivery of the 93s could start in mid 2022, if that's true then it's 2 years later than was originally mentioned

On Moderation
There doesn't seem to have been any obvious feedback from the IRO lecture a month ago, rumour has it that there is/will be an article in the latest Modern Railway magazine, does anyone on here take the MR or perhaps have heard what KW said on the evening? The only thing I've heard is that delivery of the 93s could start in mid 2022, if that's true then it's 2 years later than was originally mentioned
Modern Railways merely repeats what has been said before i.e. the 2022 delivery date.

As for a firm order, I would expect a much higher profile announcement, with Stadler also issue a press release, which leads me to believe the order hasn't been placed.

themiller

It says on page 79 of November's Modern Railways in the second last paragraph ‘are ordering’ so the contract is maybe not yet signed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.