• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have TPE finally given up on the Scarborough service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The 21.39 arrival managed to be 81 minutes late.

The current timetable is just a work of fiction from morning until night.

What a complete and total disaster.

This is a completely unacceptable way to be running a passenger service.

Looking at RTT there appears to have been two problems affecting all services along Chat Moss, and around Leeds making this service very late. I have no idea what these issues were, but they clearly contributed to it's delay as it left Liverpool on time. Not great for passengers, but also not necessarily TPE's fault.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tpjm

Floods at Astley and OLE issues between MIA and Ordsall Lane Junction. Northern were diverting services via MCV and it was creating total gridlock to be honest.

scarby

These are reasonable explanations.

The problem though is with the existing fragility of the services/set-up in so many ways that when problems like this occur there is no robustness/capability in the system to tackle them and because it is so brittle, everything just completely falls apart.

northernchris

Established Member
Floods at Astley and OLE issues between MIA and Ordsall Lane Junction. Northern were diverting services via MCV and it was creating total gridlock to be honest.

There was also a trespass incident at Leeds to compound problems further

Bantamzen

Established Member
These are reasonable explanations.

The problem though is with the existing fragility of the services/set-up in so many ways that when problems like this occur there is no robustness/capability in the system to tackle them and because it is so brittle, everything just completely falls apart.

With things like floods there is not a lot that can be done save massive investment in alternative routes, which we all know will not happen.

jamesst

In all honesty large sections of the rail network around the country seem to continually be on the brink of collapse these days, gotta wonder where it's going to end.

scarby

With things like floods there is not a lot that can be done save massive investment in alternative routes, which we all know will not happen.

Well in terms of the Scarborough branch, there is, which is to have a plan B in place to keep Scarborough - York services running when things go wrong 100 miles away.

We have winter every year, with more severe challenges than at present, and I don’t recall the Scarborough - York schedule being massacred on a daily basis in years gone by.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well in terms of the Scarborough branch, there is, which is to have a plan B in place to keep Scarborough - York services running when things go wrong 100 miles away.

We have winter every year, with more severe challenges than at present, and I don’t recall the Scarborough - York schedule being massacred on a daily basis in years gone by.

Sounds like a good aspiration, however when things start to go wrong places like Scarborough, especially in winter, may not be as high up the priority list as larger towns and cities. Even if a emergency shuttle were in the contingency plans, it would need crews and units in the right place at the right time, something that often doesn't happen when things start to melt.

Ben Bow

Scarborough has had a train crew depot for many years and now has a new servicing point for TPE trains, a shuttle between York and Scarborough should be able to be organised with resources like that at hand. The reality is of course that there are no contingency plans in place, and too few and badly organised controllers to implement one even if there was. The product of a very, very poorly managed company trying to do everything on a shoestring.

Peter Bonner

Scarborough has had a train crew depot for many years and now has a new servicing point for TPE trains, a shuttle between York and Scarborough should be able to be organised with resources like that at hand. The reality is of course that there are no contingency plans in place, and too few and badly organised controllers to implement one even if there was. The product of a very, very poorly managed company trying to do everything on a shoestring.

Whether TPE are worse than Northernrailway is a moot point. BUT in respect of Scarboro the Northern service to Hull and beyond has fared pretty well recently compared to other lines and services in the north. As I said in an earlier post if I were a Scarboro resident I wd use the Hull line to get to London and south. Longer journey times but far more reliable. Cant comment on the relative fares though.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Whether TPE are worse than Northernrailway is a moot point. BUT in respect of Scarboro the Northern service to Hull and beyond has fared pretty well recently compared to other lines and services in the north. As I said in an earlier post if I were a Scarboro resident I wd use the Hull line to get to London and south. Longer journey times but far more reliable. Cant comment on the relative fares though.
I think an off-peak return Hull-Scarborough is about £20. Don’t know what it is from York though.

northern get a lot of flax in the media be it on tv or the newspapers, but TPE are getting very close to be the worst train company in England. The amount of services that are cancelled is alarming, now that Christmas is coming up and people want to travel to visit family and friends it's going to be pot luck where they end up, or what time they get there . Let's hope things sort themselves out soon.

Andyh82

Established Member
Just arrived back in the UK at Manchester Airport lots of TPE cancellations on the board.
I was on one today that was terminated at Victoria due to ‘a member of train crew being unavailable’

One thing to note is that since they started running via Victoria the service at times of disruption is much worse, both operationally and for passengers

Back when they ran via Piccadilly, the train that terminated short would be safely tucked away in one of the bays, and passengers for the airport have numerous other services they can change onto.

Now they run via Victoria, the train terminates invariably in a through platform getting in the way, and passengers have nothing but the TPE half an hour behind to wait for for the onward journey. In today’s case the train behind had a small 10 min delay, and got delayed within Manchester, so Airport passengers would have arrived about an hour late.

greyman42

Established Member
1547 from York to Scarborough cancelled. Empty TPE sets stood on platform 2 doing nothing.

Oldrowley

Between 2013 and 2016 he was firstly under-minister, then a minister at the Department for Transport.

He did an awful lot of good there, such as:

Interntionally blank!
Mr Goodwill has a private graveyard business in Terrington, the Mowthorpe Garden of Rest. Hmm.....

Status
Not open for further replies.