• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you been to the beach? (English experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Justifiable complaints about obstructive parking and littering, both of which are already an offence and just need enforcement
"just need enforcement" - large multiples of the number of expected visitors, typical for the time of year, is near impossible to enforce. Resources for police or other civil enforcement are very thin. It's difficult to do socially distanced, although many have been trying to hand out Environmental Offences paperwork. Normal rubbish collection facilities aren't always operating. It's reasonable to expect people to take their crap home with them. People are lazy and don't want to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
Went to the beach in Dorset yesterday at Southbourne. A few people around, but easy enough to stay 50 metres from the next people, never mind 2 metres. I don't know why everyone wants to go to Durdle Door etc.

This is one of the problems at the moment. Wide empty beaches which could take a lot more people, while other beaches are dangerously packed.

What probably would be useful is if a blogger social media-type who could break through to the mainstream with advice on socially distanced UK travel, in the way that Jack Monore was on BBC1 doing her 'tin-can cooking' during the height of lockdown. I also wonder if coastal tourist boards/local authorities could be doing more here: rather than say "don't go to Dorset", perhaps they could be suggesting spaces that have capacity to take more visitors as alternatives to honeypots.

adc82140

Established Member
Covid aside, I've never really understood why anyone would want to queue on the M27 for hours and struggle to find a parking space just to arrive at a beach crammed up to another group, one of whom is invariably either smoking or has a BO problem. It's my idea of a nightmare. There's plenty of space elsewhere to go round. Nowt as strange as folk.

nlogax

Established Member
Went to the beach in Dorset yesterday at Southbourne. A few people around, but easy enough to stay 50 metres from the next people, never mind 2 metres. I don't know why everyone wants to go to Durdle Door etc.

One of the joys of Southbourne. It's not exactly well-known amongst Bournemouth-bound sunseekers. Parking near Fisherman's Walk and heading to the beach from there is always a better move than tearing your hair out in Boscombe or the town centre.

BJames

Established Member
One of the joys of Southbourne. It's not exactly well-known amongst Bournemouth-bound sunseekers. Parking near Fisherman's Walk and heading to the beach from there is always a better move than tearing your hair out in Boscombe or the town centre.
I tend to go more for Alum Chine-Branksome, quieter than the centre but in the height of summer can still be busy - might try Southbourne next time. But that aside, I don't understand why everyone's suddenly decided to go to Durdle Door in a pandemic either, surely you'd be much better off going to the extensive beach at Bournemouth... it's always made me laugh how many people are packed in so close to each other around Bournemouth pier, while 2 miles down the coast there is much more space (and more parking, better facilities etc).

I personally can't imagine going to the beach at any point in the next few weeks until everyone starts calming down a bit - I couldn't think of anything worse than being at Durdle Door in those scenes, Covid or no Covid.

nlogax

Established Member
But that aside, I don't understand why everyone's suddenly decided to go to Durdle Door in a pandemic either

Assuming it's scenery. It looks like quite a pretty and secluded cove, and if you're coming from the north or west it's possibly easier than faffing on around Poole to get to Bournemouth. Though one wonders, why not go to Weymouth instead where there's not quite the geological hemming-in, especially during the current climate!

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Would be grand if XC don't operate anything to Paignton this summer. Divert the couple of Paigntons to Plymouth or truncate them at Bristol as per current operations. A change of train will deter beachgoers for Dawlish, Teignmouth and Brixham. Last Saturday and Saturday before, everything terminated at Bristol or Plymouth, with the latter seeing roughly two trains every three hours, so every third hour missed off.

greyman42

Established Member
Would be grand if XC don't operate anything to Paignton this summer. Divert the couple of Paigntons to Plymouth or truncate them at Bristol as per current operations. A change of train will deter beachgoers for Dawlish, Teignmouth and Brixham. Last Saturday and Saturday before, everything terminated at Bristol or Plymouth, with the latter seeing roughly two trains every three hours, so every third hour missed off.
It won't be so grand if you rely on tourism and hospitality to pay your mortgage and bills.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is that a hint of sarcasm?
No, it's a genuine question. Either you haven't been anywhere near the beach in two months, or it has probably been 30 years since you were on the beach at Blackpool. Both statements cannot be correct ;)

Whistler40145

Established Member
No, it's a genuine question. Either you haven't been anywhere near the beach in two months, or it has probably been 30 years since you were on the beach at Blackpool. Both statements cannot be correct ;)
I meant 30 years, not sure how many people these days would be found on the beach, no doubt other attractions are far more appealing to tourists, plus the local council no longer provide deck chairs.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
No, it's a genuine question. Either you haven't been anywhere near the beach in two months, or it has probably been 30 years since you were on the beach at Blackpool. Both statements cannot be correct
Although the point has now been clarified, they both could have been correct. ;)

"Near the beach" might mean walking along the promenade at Blackpool.

"On the beach" might mean walking down the steps on to the sandy stuff. (Assuming, of course, that the tide is out!)

pieguyrob

I have to point out that being on the promenade is not on the beach, but, near to it. I haven't been on Blackpool beach itself for years, but, I drive a taxi down the prom 6 nights a week. As is pointed out above.

philthetube

Established Member
Not sure about ignorant but, speaking as a seaside town resident, the two main issues (Covid or not) arising from day trippers are parking and waste

People seem to want to park as near as possible to where they are going. So, local roads get jammed, there is parking on double yellows, yet some car parks away from the beach are not full

And wastel Here is a view of Margate Main Sands last year

A particularly bad period but foks leave waste regularly.

Don't get me wrong. Fully support visitors for all the obvious reasons. But, certainly, some are unthinking and selfish
I would love to know if there are any prosecutions

NeilCr

I assumed the question about prosecutions was in response to my post on the waste left on Margate beaches

This was the outcome

Worth noting, perhaps, that the miscreants were out of area

Still plenty of waste left on Thanet beaches recently and awful parking.

My BFF walked into Margate on Sunday with her partner and walked out again when she saw how busy it was and how difficult social distancing was

theironroad

Established Member
I just don't understand the mentality of people who pitch up at the beach, often in a beautiful clean state in a lovely area or go to a lake or loch, a walk in the countryside, climb a hill and just toss their litter as they go. as for dog walkers who do bag up Fido's deposit into a wee bag then leave the bag dangling from a tree branch or gate as if the little poo fairy is going to come in the night and take it away.

Take your litter home or at he very least take it until you can put it INTO a bin.

NeilCr

Best Female Friend

Sorry - should have explained

Not sure about teenagers. I am 67 in two months time!

:) :)

adc82140

Established Member
And I've been misquoted! I thought BFF was "best friend forever", but I can't be certain. Whatever the case the quote has been attributed mistakenly to me. I'm 30 years too old to be using such phrases anyway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And I've been misquoted! I thought BFF was "best friend forever", but I can't be certain. Whatever the case the quote has been attributed mistakenly to me. I'm 30 years to old to be using such phrases anyway.

It may well be a backronym, obviously "BF" doesn't work as that means boyfriend.

NeilCr

And I've been misquoted! I thought BFF was "best friend forever", but I can't be certain. Whatever the case the quote has been attributed mistakenly to me. I'm 30 years too old to be using such phrases anyway.

You're never too old!

:) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.